PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Unlocking Procedure with iPhone 3G...

kanevato
18th July 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi All...

here is my experience / problems with the Unlocking process from Voda....

Well, customer care have started being quite good at their job and caring.

The lady called me 3 times this afternoon to guide me through the upgrade, and frequently put me on hold so she could speak to Apple directly.

Finally, after much hassle, this appeared when I plugged in my iPhone 3G to iTunes.

AT LAST! An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available.

http://www.iphoneuserguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/update.png

So I hit Update Settings and look what I got straight away.

http://www.iphoneuserguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/error.png

HMMMÖ iTunes could not update the carrier settings on your iPhone. An unknown error occured (0xE8000001).

So Iím 99% sure this is now an Apple Server issue, Iím going to try this one more time on my Mac (not XP) tonight when I get home, and Iím hoping Iíll be able to post a video of me successfully swapping SIMís and getting a signal on both!!!

In the meantime, I would suggest waiting for the iPhone Dev Team to release their unlock software because this is turning in to a real disaster. 5 Days LaterÖ still a useless iPhone 3G.

UPDATE: no joy on the MacÖ. (even thought I got a positive ending on the screen, nothing changed on the phone)

http://www.iphoneuserguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/picture-82.jpg

and then

http://www.iphoneuserguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/picture-92.jpg

But then no signal on the iPhone 3G.

I don't think this is a Vodafone issue but a iTunes/Apple issue.

I've done this process on 2 XP machines and one OS X machine now, with no joy. Has anyone else had similar experiences...?

mitty
18th July 2008, 09:46 AM
Everyone else appears to be saying you need to do a full backup and restore to unlock. Slightly painful. Give it a try and let us know how you go.

kanevato
18th July 2008, 10:14 AM
I've just done that... and it seems to work 'ok'... until the last minute, where it pops up with 'Please insert a compatible SIM' in iTunes.

It's like getting 95% of the way through and bombing out...

Huy
18th July 2008, 01:46 PM
I would help you and be in the same situation as you, if I could get through to the unlocking team!

Can you tell me what you did, to get it unlocked?

I've tried calling LARA (1555) and asking for unlocks but keep getting hung up on!

kanevato
18th July 2008, 04:02 PM
I just went to the Apple Store, and I had three genius' and one Vodafone Staff member (who happened to be there) try to work out why an unlock wouldnt work when syncing.

They plugged the iPhone in to their 'special' version of iTunes that allows 'flashing' of the iPhone and even then it came up with 'Phone is already activated' and wouldnt allow them to do anything.

They're reply was to take the phone back and get a refund. Not exactly what I wanted to hear really...

Looks like I'm stuck on a no-data plan with Vodafone AU, and will have to wait for the iPhone Dev Team or someone to hack the baseband!

bummer.

Huy
18th July 2008, 07:49 PM
Are you sure you've contacted Vodafone and requested an unlock? $75?
Did you pass them your IMEI?
How long has it been?

ToLTeK
18th July 2008, 08:15 PM
Are you sure you've contacted Vodafone and requested an unlock? $75?
Did you pass them your IMEI?
How long has it been?
My thoughts exactly... Never experienced any activation issues at all.

Supblek
18th July 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm getting really worried about unlocking the iphone 3g with Vodafone network..

I'm with vodafone but would like to unlocked it..

Please keep us update on this... I'm very curious how it goes.

Huy
18th July 2008, 09:49 PM
What makes you worried, Supblek?

paulpog
19th July 2008, 07:42 AM
I've just done that... and it seems to work 'ok'... until the last minute, where it pops up with 'Please insert a compatible SIM' in iTunes.

It's like getting 95% of the way through and bombing out...

Kanevato, I had the same issue, trying to get my Telstra Iphone unlocked to use with Optus.

I restored the iphone to factory settings with the Optus SIM inserted in the Phone and it worked.

When you did your restore was it with the SIM inserted, or was the iPhone SIMless?

Cheers,
PP

kanevato
19th July 2008, 02:20 PM
Well... this was an eventful day...

I've spent about two hours in the apple store with one of the US Staff who came over to help with the iPhone Launch.... VERY HELPFUL...

Anywhere here is the run down...

I've paid Voda the $75... I've given them the IMEI code... and now when i plug in to iTunes I get the pop up to update carrier settings...

Yet 95% of the way it crashes out.

Spoke to the genius' at the Apple Store who sadly knew less about the iPhone than me (but then I am a bit of a fanboy)....

Basically... They had no clue, and so walked me to the front of the line (yes there is STILL a line at the Apple Store for iPhones) and we spoke to the Vodafone Rep that was working there... They were the MOST UNPROFESSIONAL and UNHELPFUL person EVER. Basically, because they wont make any revenue from me, he didn't give a damn about my problem.

The REALLY NICE HELPFUL apple genius saw my plight and decided to take the matter in to his own hands, he walked me up to the 'special' macs with the Internal version of iTunes that 'set up' the iPhones when you buy them in store. His plan was to 'reinitialise' my phone directly using my optus SIM, thus bypassing the voda/apple unlocking fiasco.

SADLY, when we plugged in the phone, iTunes immediately pops up with: 'this phone is already activated' and we couldn't get any further with the process.

At the end of the day, they THINK I should have bought the iPhone, NEVER have put a voda sim in it, called up and paid for the unlock, waited for the popup in itunes and THEN the first sim i should have put in SHOULD have been the optus sim that I want to use.

Now, NONE of this is told when you buy the phone on prepay or when you call up to unlock etc etc.

I feel TOTALLY MISLED by vodafone, and now until this is resolved I have to use my iPhone 3G on voda prepay with NO DATA, which make the iPhone a complete waste of time.

The apple genius recommended that I return my phone to dick smith and get a refund and buy a new one, but they don't have any prepay stock now.

So it looks like I'll have to just play patient, and hassle vodafone / apple care on a daily basis until this is resolved. although it DOES look like a iTunes issue.

Its a dumb idea to have every activation of every iPhone in the world going through Apple's main server...

Huy
19th July 2008, 03:33 PM
Can you lay off the caps a bit?

How do you know your iPhone has been unlocked?
When did you ring up Vodafone and ask for the unlock?
How long has it been since then? 24 hours? 48 hours? 72 hours? More?
Are you sure you gave them the correct IMEI?
Have you tried your Optus SIM inside and performed a restore?

I'm in a similar position to you. I bought my iPhone outright (Vodafone locked) at DSE Sydney as well. I want to get it unlocked but only after their online unlocking service is available, rather than pay another $25 on top ($75 total) just to go through the operators.

I think you should have a read of the Optus/Telstra unlocking threads and see what the others have done. You're probably just not doing something correctly in the right order/sequence, with the wrong SIM inside, or something... just keep trying or wait until you know, for sure, that the unlock would have taken affect already.

Bosox76
19th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Has anyone successfully unlocked a vodafone iphone yet??

kanevato
19th July 2008, 06:44 PM
Can you lay off the caps a bit? sorry! :)

How do you know your iPhone has been unlocked? Vodafone called me to tell me it would unlock the next time i synced, and it did try to update but fails.

When did you ring up Vodafone and ask for the unlock? 5 days prior to them calling me (monday)

How long has it been since then? 24 hours? 48 hours? 72 hours? More? 5 days

Are you sure you gave them the correct IMEI? yes, or else my iphone wouldnt be triggering the itunes carrier update. Plus I confirmed it every day I've spoken to voda

Have you tried your Optus SIM inside and performed a restore? yes. this is what the apple genius have done, and on their internal KB system it says its a software issue.

I'm in a similar position to you. I bought my iPhone outright (Vodafone locked) at DSE Sydney as well. I want to get it unlocked but only after their online unlocking service is available, rather than pay another $25 on top ($75 total) just to go through the operators.

I think you should have a read of the Optus/Telstra unlocking threads and see what the others have done. You're probably just not doing something correctly in the right order/sequence, with the wrong SIM inside, or something... just keep trying or wait until you know, for sure, that the unlock would have taken affect already.

I've done it exactly the way voda customer care have said, and now the way apple have told me.

Huy
19th July 2008, 06:50 PM
Did you pay them?
Did they take your CC details?

Otherwise, I am really out of ideas as to why it shouldn't work. Doesn't sound very good for outright Vodafone customers.

dtklamf
20th July 2008, 02:42 AM
if yer going the prepaid cap go to a crazy johns and see if their sims work in it.
I just got a 6121 from voda and a CJ sims popped it straight in worked right away.
The sexy as hell girl told me you can put CJ sims in voda phones but not vice versa.
This was in a nokia locked to voda I can't see any real difference between that and an iphone
If this works this will be my plan when the fuss dies down and prepaid iphones become available.

$49 a month suits me just fine for everything

paulpog
20th July 2008, 07:40 AM
"At the end of the day, they THINK I should have bought the iPhone, NEVER have put a voda sim in it, called up and paid for the unlock, waited for the popup in itunes and THEN the first sim i should have put in SHOULD have been the optus sim that I want to use."

I did exactly this and it worked ..... after having the reset my iphone (see previous posting).

PP

jizztin
20th July 2008, 12:34 PM
if yer going the prepaid cap go to a crazy johns and see if their sims work in it.
I just got a 6121 from voda and a CJ sims popped it straight in worked right away.
The sexy as hell girl told me you can put CJ sims in voda phones but not vice versa.
This was in a nokia locked to voda I can't see any real difference between that and an iphone
If this works this will be my plan when the fuss dies down and prepaid iphones become available.

$49 a month suits me just fine for everything

i bought a CJ's sim and it does work in a voda locked iphone.
thats because CJ's service is in association with voda

iPhone3G
20th July 2008, 03:01 PM
You can now SIM unlock the 3G iPhone with a TurboSIM (the original one from Bladox).

There is a video of it (the TurboSIM) being used with a Vodafone SIM, in a UK 02 locked 3G iPhone, on the Australian TurboSIM website.

You don't have to buy a new TurboSIM if you still have your old one from the 2G iPhone days. You can blank it, and install the new software. See the Bladox forums and the Hackint0sh forums for details and the link to the new software.

Cheers!

dtklamf
20th July 2008, 03:33 PM
thanks jizztin i shall now wait for a vodafone 3g prepaid to become available.

can you post a screenshot of the homescreen?

kanevato
20th July 2008, 05:20 PM
yeah... paid them via CC over the phone.

They even called me back to tell me the unlock had gone 'live' at apple and to resync...

To be quite honest, I think I'll wait a few more days for the PWNAGE TOOL 2.0.

the first version came out yesterday and I've successfully jailbroken it and installed lots of new apps through Cydia now.

If at first you don't succeed... JAILBREAK!! LOL!!:D

kanevato
20th July 2008, 05:25 PM
does anyone else have an 'optus_au' file in their iPhone Carrier Support folder in ~/Library/iTunes...?

I think mine is corrupt because I can't open it.