PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Ram

xatz
15th April 2005, 03:33 PM
Hello I am going to purchase a 12 inch iBook and am wondering if I should go for the upgraded ram when I purchase.
I am already upping the HDD to 60Gb, and want to add another 512Mb ram to the system (for a total of 768).
I am a student so get the discount. :D
Is $206.80 too much to pay for a 512Mb SO-DIMM. That is how much it will be from apple.
I have found this (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1522) and am wondering if the PC2700 ram is backward compatible with the PC2100 iBook.
The ram is only $139.00, plus postage.
Also is the streetwise ram any good ?
I am new to apples and have read everywhere that you should 'bump up the ram'.
Thank You in advance.

sykaryce
15th April 2005, 03:44 PM
streetwise is good...with my past experience with them :)

and dont buy from apple...they are overpriced ;P

jobe
15th April 2005, 03:54 PM
Yes. PC2700 is backwards compatible with PC2100. Remember also that apple's take exactly the same ram as PCs so you do not specifically have to find ram that says "works with apple". In saying that though, aviode really cheap, yumcha ram as they are a bit hit and miss. You could get decent or you could get problems ranging from it not running at it's rated speed without errors, failing early in it's life to not working at all.

However streetwise are credible and that is certianly a decent price.

Byrd
15th April 2005, 03:56 PM
Streetwise have good RAM prices, and if you're keen with some research you could pick up some cheap DDR So-DIMMS for less from any PC store.

Streetwise RAM use Amicroe brand, at least that's what I've found in all the sticks I've purchased from there - and it's great, coming with a lifetime warranty.

JB

xatz
15th April 2005, 03:59 PM
Thank you very much.
That was so quick, much quicker than the other forums I am a member of.
I now know what I will do.
I will order my iBook tomorrow at the local store with no memory upgrade.
I will order my ram from that site tomorrow night.
I can't wait.
Thank you very much again.
I will post again of my first impressions of the iBook and Tiger.

LCGuy
15th April 2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Apr 15 2005, 03:56 PM
Streetwise have good RAM prices, and if you're keen with some research you could pick up some cheap DDR So-DIMMS for less from any PC store.

Streetwise RAM use Amicroe brand, at least that's what I've found in all the sticks I've purchased from there - and it's great, coming with a lifetime warranty.

JB
I'll second that, Amicroe is awesome. The AppleCentre i did work experience at a couple of years ago used it and its a damn good brand. :)

pipsqeek
15th April 2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by xatz@Apr 15 2005, 03:59 PM
Thank you very much.
That was so quick, much quicker than the other forums I am a member of.......
That's cause we all live here.

Streetwise is really good. I bought my Macally IceKey and Kensington trackball from there.

Cheaper then everywhere else and no issues.