PDA

View Full Version : I'd pay a zillion dollars for an app that does this....

cbennie
16th July 2008, 08:27 AM
ok- maybe not a zillion (I don't have quite that much) but I would happily pay a few dollars for an app that bypassed proxy servers. Something that does the same as Authoxy does. I'm currently on holidays and loving all my new touch apps. However, I know that as soon as I go back to work most of my apps will be useless as our work proxy will kill them. I can web surf but nearly everything else will not work as there is novway to authenticate with user name and password that the proxy requires.

So is there an app for this yet or is there one in the wing or would someone like to make one? Maybe I should contact the author of Authoxy......

Chris

anarchron
16th July 2008, 10:26 AM
Certainly possible to write a proxy tunelling app for a Jailbroken iPhone since we would have access to the underlying BSD subsystem.

I'm not too sure if Apple will ever allow such an App to run officially on the iPhone.

Cybix
16th July 2008, 10:45 AM
do you have access to a unix host that you can SSH to from work?

SSH to it using puTTY, setup a tunnel, allow hosts to connect to your work host and use the tunnel. Specify a proxy in the iPhone (IP of your work PC, port number, etc). Now all your iphone traffic will use your work PC's SSH tunnel.

PM me for more info. don't PM me if you do not have a unix host that you can SSH into from work. ;)

cbennie
16th July 2008, 10:55 AM
do you have access to a unix host that you can SSH to from work?

SSH to it using puTTY, setup a tunnel, allow hosts to connect to your work host and use the tunnel. Specify a proxy in the iPhone (IP of your work PC, port number, etc). Now all your iphone traffic will use your work PC's SSH tunnel.

PM me for more info. don't PM me if you do not have a unix host that you can SSH into from work. ;)

Apart from a great deal of that going somewhat over my head All our machines (servers etc) are Apples - including the proxy (running squid). By Unix you mean to go in through terminal? If this is the case - I'd need a whole lot of hand holding to do it - can use terminal but only with a pretty explicit set of destructions!