PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook RAM in Melb [merged]

McMullet
14th April 2005, 10:28 PM
does anyone know where i can get competitively priced apple badged RAM in melbourne? preferably between the city and the south east region.

so basically, i'm after 256MB or 512 MB PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM RAM (333 MHz).

designwyse in dandenong sell them for $110 and $220 respectively. anyone know where i can get a better deal?

thanks to all in advance.

Kildare
14th April 2005, 10:50 PM
You can get 256MB PC2700 IBM / Kingston for only $75.
Any reason for the specific Apple RAM?

McMullet
14th April 2005, 11:01 PM
well... i read somewhere on this forum that if my powerbook had to take a visit to an apple service centre, no matter what the problem was, they would just point to the RAM and say the problem is 3rd party RAM... even though it clearly isn't.

how fast is the kingston RAM and are you sure my PB won't suffer from any adverse side effects?

Edit: I just read that kingston is 333MHz... so it's cool. i might just get it then. ok, maybe i'll wait until tiger comes out.

thanks for the info, kildare.

Quamen
14th April 2005, 11:43 PM
Well if you ever have to send it back to apple be sure to remove the RAM you added. This would be a smart thing to do anyway, since you could then come to the desicion that the RAM is definately not the problem before sending it in :)

fompsweeva
15th April 2005, 06:25 AM
I don't recommend buying from 4allmemory.com! They're so annoying with international orders!

Currawong
15th April 2005, 07:04 AM
The issue with Apple and 3rd party RAM only occurred in the USA. If they were to try that here, Fair Trading and TPC would be all over them like a shot.

Noone in Australia has had any issues with warranty and 3rd party RAM, especially as the majority of resellers use it.

Edit: Pinned this topic too, as RAM is frequently asked about on the forums.

purana
15th April 2005, 08:07 AM
I think I might sit down and start wording an FAQ for portable and desktop machines. That way we can pin the FAQ for both types of machines in the relevant groups. Feel free to pm me suggested questions/answers.

I'll sit down and put something together over the weekend.

McMullet
15th April 2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks to all who responded.

Since I know 3rd party RAM is a lot cheaper, I might go with 512mb RAM. I saw an ad in the paper selling the Kingston brand for $149. That's a lot better than the $220 DesignWyse are offering for Apple badged RAM.

jerrah
15th April 2005, 12:14 PM
I buy alot of laptop ram from Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com) their ram is good quality and the price is fairly good. They OEM ram for most of the larger computer companies.

madmacs
15th April 2005, 01:17 PM
Just be aware that some Kingston modules are not mac compatible.

I find the amount of money saved by buying RAM from PC dealers sometimes not worth it if you take into account time wasted on unstable system or time spent returning unsuitable products/installing and deinstalling, etc. You will be doing the QA and testing for them on Macs.

The distributor I bought from before claims they actually tested the modules and make sure they work in macs before selling to Apple dealers (they do sell to a few AppleCentres).

My 2cents worth.

Good luck.

sykaryce
15th April 2005, 03:38 PM
well...after doing a few searches...i found this on OWC

OWC 1GB SODIMM RAM (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDRS1GBA/)

was thinking...is that a good deal?

it cost USD$175.99 + USD$20 (shipping)...so around USD$200...which is equivalent to A$260...

this is their description of the ram:

1GB (1024MB) PC2700 DDR SODIMM 200 Pin Memory Module 128x64 CL 2.5 for PowerBook G4 'Aluminum' 12", 15" & 17" 1.5GHz or 1.67GHz Models, iBook G4 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz Models *ONLY*-Not for other speed models! New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty.

if not..i guess i'll spend an extra A$40 for the samsung one

SAMSUNG 1GB RAM on OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/27SAMSO1GB/)

this one is..according to their site...the ram apple uses in factory installation!!

comments please :)

The Architect.mac
15th April 2005, 03:48 PM
Just ordered 512MB DDR 333 200 pin SO DIMM for my PowerBook to take it up to 1GB

from Streetwise.com.au which are actually in Melbourne but do great Australia wide overnight shipping and they sell AmiCroe which is apparently Apple certified and the 512 MB dim was $139 and $10 Air Freight.

I have ordered from www.streetwise.com.au online for a few months now with great service and excellent delivery times.

Cheers

Hope that helps :ph34r:

sykaryce
15th April 2005, 03:55 PM
nice...architect ;)

good price for 512MB ram :D

but 1GB is still damn a lot of money in australia..so i guess i've to look for other ways...(looking at US stores etc)

i know epowermac is cheap..well..in australia...but it is not as cheap as those on OWC...

McMullet
16th April 2005, 11:00 PM
thanks, The Architect.mac. i think the streetwise deal is the best australian offering for 512mb i&#39;ve seen so far. i live in melbourne so i&#39;ll just save delivery costs and pop down to hawthorn and pick it up. although, petrol prices being what they are, i might as well get it delivered&#33; <_<

Tracey
25th April 2005, 11:50 PM
Hi All,

Where is the cheapest place to buy Apple Memory Module 512MB SDRAM SO-DIMM, 144-pin for my iBook G3.

Thanks Tracey :D

downsys
26th April 2005, 12:19 AM
www.streetwise.com.au maybe?

icant
26th April 2005, 12:57 AM
In the infrequent times that I have bought RAM, I bought them from America. http://www.memoryx.net was the one I used. You do have to consider the difficulties with warranties, and customs. Luckily neither of those cropped in my case. Shipping was quite cheap.

Your mileage may vary.

spargo
26th April 2005, 07:14 AM
Hey Tracey, take a look at a recent Laptop forum topic here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6814) regarding where to get PowerBook RAM.. It might give you some suggestions of places to try for the iBook memory you are after.

Tommy PDA
26th April 2005, 07:32 AM
Try going down to microseconds at suite 4G 3 smail street (near Broadway shopping centre) ultimo NSW 2007

There tel:02 9281 6392
www.microseconds.com.au

Flinders1231
26th April 2005, 08:59 AM
See if Umart has it really cheap

Tracey
26th April 2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone it looks like,

Tommy PDA suggestion of microseconds is the cheapest at &#036;190

:D

suryo
27th April 2005, 05:13 AM
memoryx.com have it for US&#036;99.98 and quote &#036;5 international airmail postage. Works out to around AU&#036;135. Make sure you select USPS for shipping. If it goes through a courier you can get charged a fortune by customs.

morpheme2004
11th May 2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by suryo@Apr 27 2005, 05:13 AM
memoryx.com have it for US&#036;99.98 and quote &#036;5 international airmail postage. Works out to around AU&#036;135. Make sure you select USPS for shipping. If it goes through a courier you can get charged a fortune by customs.
That looks like the best deal so far. Only problem might be warranty, how to claim it.

simonpeng
12th May 2005, 11:13 AM
My ordered 1GB ram has arrived this morning.

There are 1.5GB ram in my PB 15 now.

darknight84
26th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering how much it would cost to upgrade to another 512mb of ram on a powerbook? I have already purchased the ram so how much is the installation?

I live in the melbourne region so where can i go to do the upgrade?

mvjs
26th May 2005, 07:10 PM
Well I not sure what the deal is with PowerBooks, I&#39;m sure theres some way of doing it yourself. Or your local Apple Centre can do it for a minimal charge.

Chesty
26th May 2005, 07:47 PM
Yer, your local Apple Center, sould do the job.

spargo
26th May 2005, 08:32 PM
Guys&#33; Guys&#33; buy some quality RAM and install the RAM yourself&#33;&#33; There&#39;s plenty of info in other RAM threads in both the Desktops and Notebooks section of this site about what brands to buy & how much of it to buy..

I brought an extra 1 Gig stick for my PB from ePowerMac (http://www.epowermac.com.au/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=121&strPageHistory=cat) (ATAU site supporters, based on the Gold Coast) which came delivered to my door and was quite cheap. I then installed it myself by following detailed instructions available through the following means, which I might add were not very hard to find on the web&#33;&#33; <_<

i) do a Google search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=installing+ram+G4+powerbook&meta=) for instructions on installing the RAM
ii) follow the detailed instructions & diagrams that are in the Manual for your particular PowerBook model
iii) check the Apple site Do-It-Yourself Repair & Upgrade .pdf guides for PowerBooks on the PowerBook G4 Support (http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/) page

Before you do anything, please note the Disclaimer at the start of the installing RAM section of your manual which states that:

Warning: Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install memory. Consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions on how to contact Apple for service. If you attempt to install memory and damage your equipment, such damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer.
Also note the following statement from Apple regarding ESD:

Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Precautions
To avoid ESD damage to your computer, you must safely discharge static electricity from your body before you touch any internal parts or install any internal components. Each applicable PDF installation guide contains instructions for discharging static electricity. Please follow these instructions carefully.

Don&#39;t go to an Apple re-seller to get this done, unless you enjoy flushing A&#036; down the toilet..

kaj1971
27th May 2005, 09:33 PM
To help Tiger run I just bought another 512mb RAM for my iBook G4 from WWW.STREETWISE.COM.AU

I know others have recommended this store and I wanted to say I received really fantastic reliable service. There&#39;s so much crap service out here, it&#39;s good to be able to praise the good ones:

They have a "Memory Upgrade" section to match RAM for your MAc (I assume they were right... so far so good)
Price was fantastic compared to other online sites (&#036;135 for 512mb + &#036;9.95 postage)
The morning after I placed my order I got a phone call to verify my identity
I received email updates on shipping times was able to track the delivery through the Australian Air Express service.
I ordered on a Tuesday night and received the RAM on Thursday morning in Perth .
Will definitely use them again.

collin
17th June 2005, 07:58 PM
For sure do it yourself - i did my 15&#39; PB when i got it - it is in the manual (page 53) and it is easy and i am not a techy - just get a bonding strap and give it a shot.

adsis1
7th August 2005, 01:51 PM
testin

Redwardrobe
13th August 2005, 01:36 PM
best place was www.epowermac.com.au

i think the store isw QLD based.

They recently had free shipping offers last month i think.

JimWOz
27th August 2005, 02:15 PM
I&#39;ve used MemEx.com.au (http://www.memex.com.au)
They have RAM for just about everything.

ricky1206
27th August 2005, 03:57 PM
It looks like if I want to upgrade mine to 1G, I&#39;ve to get rid of 2 256mb first......

I think I made a bad dicision at first place:(, I should have bought 1G memory or at least a single 512mb one

Ozi
4th May 2006, 10:03 AM
Dean: what sort of machine is it for?&#33; RAM prices vary depending on the model of your computer and the corresponding spec of RAM needed.

supermans_alter_ego
11th August 2006, 10:03 AM
howdy all..

i have an installation question. i want to get more memory for my 12 inch powerbook and am happy to pay the prices seen on crucial or streetwise. but i don&#39;t have the screwdriver to do the job once i get it. my friend actually tried to give me his and the screw was hard to get out. can you just get the screwdrivers from a electronics store? or anyone have any other ideas since i would only need the screwdriver for a few mins..

nick

DJY
2nd September 2006, 10:33 AM
Hey all - was just wondering if anyone had recently bought more RAM.
I have a 17" 1.5GHz PB.

Have rung my local reseller (Mac1) a few times...
I currently have 2 x 512 DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330

and Mac1 quoted me &#036;350 for 1GB sticks?&#33;??&#33;&#33;
streetwise have them listed &#036;229 and
epowermac solutions &#036;225

(I think I got the right specs on for my PB off their websites).

Anyone know of better deals - ideally I&#39;d love local to Canberra but doubt I&#39;ll find one - and it sounds like self installation is relatively easy?

I&#39;m considering upgrading my RAM as my Page ins/outs currently sits at
1277113/1009347

Couple of questions for those technically oriented gurus out there...
Should I upgrade from 1Gb to 2Gb RAM?
where are people recommending purchases from recently.

Cheers

nez
29th December 2006, 10:57 AM
Im upgrading from 1gig to 2gig cause 1 gig just isn't enough. I run Azureus, iTunes, Opera all the time and those 3, plus os X seem to be massive memory hogs.

So to answer your question - yes, go for 2gig.

Now, onto my question - does a macbook need matching pairs of memory sticks? I've got 1 gig Princeton in my macbook now but it's pretty pricey to buy matching stuff. Will any 1 gig stick do? I know both sticks will slow down to the slowest common speed but I'm worried that non matched pairs will cause headaches down the track. Anyone got something similar in their machine?

kingkangkong
29th April 2007, 05:21 PM
for those who are thinking of upgrading their RAM.

That is the latest DJ News

0257 GMT [Dow Jones] DRAM prices set to slip further to suppliers'' cash-cost level due to rise in supply, market researcher iSuppli says; "After this, pricing should stabilize but this won''t happen in time to save the industry from suffering a loss during the second quarter," writes analyst Nam Hyung Kim in report. "For now, DRAM is a buyers'' market - and will remain so until prices hit bottom this quarter." Average spot price of benchmark DRAM chip - 512-megabit DDR2 chip running at 667 megahertz - fell 0.8% to US$2.57 each on DRAMeXchange yesterday. Still, iSuppli says conditions in NAND flash market improving, with prices stabilizing. (YHK)

If you can wait, wait for another month to let the price to hit bottom although its already pretty cheap now.