PDA

View Full Version : Movie Folder

Kodo
15th July 2008, 07:57 PM
Is it possible to move the movie folder set-up in home directory to a separate partition without causing any problems.

I have my system partition only set to 100gb or so and when I move a lot of movie files to get re-encoded for apple tv in visualhub sometimes drive gets full, especialy if I forget to remove the original files.

Of course I guess I could just create a new directory on the other partition and use that :P

Lutze
15th July 2008, 08:00 PM
Create a new directory on the other partition and use that :P

It's a hell of a lot less bother.

dev_enter
15th July 2008, 08:27 PM
And maybe create an alias or symlink to that folder inside your ~/Movies folder.

Galumay
15th July 2008, 08:36 PM
yep, i do it with an alias, i have a 1TB time capsule that my video content lives on and i have an alias for the movies folder.

works really well because you can still use front row etc.

jamtoast
1st June 2009, 11:20 PM
And maybe create an alias or symlink to that folder inside your ~/Movies folder.

Only problem with that is that you have to navigate through the alias in Front Row, or when you click on Movies folder in 'Places' - ie you effectively add a sub directory. I wanted to keep the actual Movies folder on a separate disk - took some hunting but finally found the following solution which I posted on macrumours.com - I've re-posted it below.

________

To move Movies (or another 'special' home folder like Pictures or Music) to an external drive you can use the following method which I found after some searching.

The nice thing about this method is that it is 'seamless' - if you click on the Movies folder in 'Places' you look straight into the folder as if it were still in your home folder on the start up drive even though the content now resides on an external volume. The same applies within Front Row. No having to click through an alias.

Warning! :eek:
This worked great for me - but since it involves hacking around in terminal with root privileges I make no promises that you won't monster your data or you system! Best do a clone with SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) before you start. ;) I did this on OS X 10.5.7

You will need to login as the root user to do this. If you don't know how to do this see this link (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528).

The following instructions assume your external hard drive is called <external_hd> and that your home folder (your short account name) is called <username>.

You must not already have a folder named Movies on <external_hd>. If you do rename it to something else.

Instructions:

Open Terminal
Navigate to your normal home folder

cd /Users/<username>
Create the new Movies directory on your external drive

mkdir /Volumes/<external_hd>/Movies
Move the existing contents of your home Movies folder to the new Movies folder on <external_hd> (If you have a lot of content in your old Movies folder this will take ages - go and make a cup of coffee).

mv /Movies/* /Volumes/<external_hd>/Movies/
Delete the now empty Movies folder in your home folder

rmdir /Movies
Create a symbolic link in its place that points to your new Movies folder on <external_hd>

ln -s /Volumes/<external_hd>/Movies /Movies
Log out of root and back into your normal account and bingo!

Note that Time Machine (or other back up programs) will not back up this directory as part of your home folder - as the Movies folder is now just a pointer to your external drive.

Modified from original solution found at TinyApps.Org (http://www.tinyapps.org/weblog/mac/200805230700_change_imovie_save_directory.html)

banjo
2nd June 2009, 07:05 PM
You must not already have a folder named Movies on <external_hd>. If you do rename it to something else.

Why can't you just point to the existing folder if that's where your movies are kept (i.e. skip step 4 and 5)?

Neat little solution to the problem. Doesn't worry me as much as I have my movies sorted into genre folders anyway, so I just have aliases to those folders inside the Movies folder.