PDA

View Full Version : Anyone torn between 12/15PB regretted buying 12"?

usefulmatt
14th April 2005, 06:38 PM
Hi there...

I'm currently torn between the 12" and the 15" Powerbook, and am wondering if anyone has regretted going for the 12" and getting the 15"?

I will be doing a lot of coffee shop computing, designing webpages, editing photos, maybe MSN chats, listening to music for sure, and looking at on average no less than 10 webpages at once...

So the 12" would be great for the coffee shop bit.... But the 15" is going to be more flexible over the course of the 2 years that i'll be paying back.. and for pictures and video the screen has a lot more contrast and is brighter.

Also the resolution of the 12" is only 1024x768... which although a few years ago we all used on our 14 and 15inch monitors, and some laptops still use it, larger resolution would be good too...

So really.... I guess I'm wanting to know if anyone who was torn like me, and went for the 12"PB over the 15"PB, has regretted going for the 12"?

Usefulmatt

14th April 2005, 06:58 PM
i got the 12" and don't regret it at all. tabbed browsers and exposé mean that space isn't really an issue. for msn i use adium which also allows for a single tabbed conversation window.

that said when i sit down and try to get some serious work done i get cluttered. having 5+ articles open in preview, 3 word documents, safari with 20 webpages open and maybe photoshop with a couple of things it becomes a mess. desktop manager (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21594) is a nice app that i find helps out a bit but in the end i've found myself saving for a bigger external display.

Nevets_Anderson
14th April 2005, 07:11 PM
Nice thing about the 12 inch is you can drive another monitor

It becomes one huge desktop

gmask1
14th April 2005, 07:20 PM
A friend and I were talking about this very thing today, and my only issue with the 12 is - of course - screen space. Having tested it, I don't think I'd be comfortable working on a 12 inch screen.

purana
14th April 2005, 07:56 PM
I have a 15" and I like the fact it has a bit higher res then the 12". The 12" I see as having good benefits, especially if you plan on travelling with it.

The powerbook 12" in my sig will be my wife's. She wants a 12" and said she will use it to take overseas when we go next year, rather then take my 15". Which is a good idea.

She doesn't mind the res, as her Compaq Presario she has had for the last 18 months has the same resolution and she doesn't mind it. BUt for someone like me I do mind. But hey, its her choice.

Ideally, if money was no option and you had lots to spend. Have one of each. BUt of course not everyone can have 2 units. I may end up being lucky enough to have access to both units, but they won't be both mine.

Tough call though :)

tranp
14th April 2005, 07:57 PM
Get yourself a 12" and a large LCD for your desk, it gives you the best of both worlds and the 12" will be great when you're out and about.

Silly me got the 14" ibook instead of a 12" PowerBook because I didn't think about it in this way.

vargz
14th April 2005, 07:59 PM
Welcome useful matt. I can relate to your dilemma. I started toying with the idea of getting a Mac last year, I first thought about the Mac Mini, then it turned out to be a more practical decision to get a Powerbook. The next decision I faced - do I go 12 or 15?!

I reckon for the past two months I have switched between the 12 and the 15 on almost a weekly basis. It was driving me insane. If money isn't an issue, the specs of each system are closely aligned, so it really comes down to what you need more - portability or versatility.

I have read numerous 12 v 15 threads and articles, looked at heaps of pictures and played with both demo models in NextByte and DJs. None of this has made the decision any easier for me. So in the end, I came to a simple conclusion:

The 12 - good if you're on the go a lot, need something that you won't be using for lengthy periods of time. Will make a good primary computer if you have an external display or a good secondary computer if you have an existing desktop.

The 15 - still portable, good if your using it for longer periods of time and its gonna be your main computer. It's essential plus over the 12 is the wider (and slightly taller) screen, which is very easy on the eyes and more versatile for uses you mentioned.

Anyway, my decision came to an end today. I finally placed my order today (after waiting patiently for Tiger) and I chose...... The 12!

I wish you well with your decision! Either way I think you'll be a winner :)

NiftyNev
14th April 2005, 08:10 PM
I considered a 15" when I was looking for a new PowerBook but ended up getting the 17".I have taken it away with me a few times and now find I want a 12" as I find the 17" a little big for travelling.

One way to look at it I suppose is like this - If you don't need to carry it around much get a 17".If you use it 50/50 home and out and about get a 15" and if you are carrying it around the majority of time get a 12".

Neville

Ed01
14th April 2005, 08:31 PM
I just recently bought my first mac and I was going through the same decision process. I ended up going for the 12" Powerbook because it had the features I wanted and I was worried about the portability and battery life of 15". My other laptop has the same resolution as the 12" so that didn't bother me. The 15" looks nice and has some great features but overall I could justify the extra expense for the 15". Your best bet is to go to a apple store and play around with the various models to see which is the best for you. I absolutely enjoy the 12" and I find it very portable.

Galumay
14th April 2005, 08:34 PM
interesting replies from everyone! we all seem happy with our pb's!!

i have a 15" and i am glad i went that way, have just travelled with it and i find it is very light and portable for its size, so much more so than my 14" pc lappy. the 15" display is just superb and i love the extra acerage. i am absolutely comfortable with it as a desktop at home, of course i would like a 30" display but in reality that is out of budget and the 15" is fine - again not many years ago it was the standard for desktop monitors.

at the end of the day they are both lovely machines and i am sure you will be happy with either!

icant
14th April 2005, 09:07 PM
My brother got the 12" Rev A, and then complained lots and lots and lots. He even bought a (inexpensive) 17" VGA LCD to go with it. Still continued to whinge big time. His main reason was that he did quite a bit of stuff on Excel, and wanted more screen space.

He got a 15" Rev B, and is happy now. The 12" is now his wife’s.

My wife upgraded from a 12" iBook 800 G3 to a has a Rev C 12" PowerBook, and is happy with it. She wouldn’t go for the 15"—even though she had that option.

So, she loved it. And loves it even more now that she has a 19" Dell DVI LCD attached to it. The fan isn’t as annoying as made to be on the net. Maybe she’s lucky that way.

Myself, I have a Rev A 15". I like the 12", and could use it, if I had an external LCD as well.

So, horses for courses.

Quamen
14th April 2005, 11:54 PM
I got the 12". I take mine to uni with me daily and the fact that it's no heavier than a text book ad definatley not as thick is a magor bonus. I don't bring notebooks to uni anymore. Maybe some lecture notes, and the powerbook.

If it's only the screen space that is causing you problems then go for the 12" and get a nice big external monitor. Over the summer holidays my powerbook didn't leave my room, it was plugged into and LCD with my keyboard and mouse and the screen closed down. The perfect little computer.

Febs
15th April 2005, 12:15 AM
I've been in this situation twice. I bought a 12" new last year (1.33GHz), and now have a 12" 1.5Ghz SuperDrive (love staff purchases :D).

If I was buying it as my main computer, absolutely no question - I'd go the 15". Why?
The Screen on the 12" PB is terrible! It's too dim. Far, far, far too dim.

I very rarely use my PowerBook though...basically for uni presentations, and that's about it. So for me, size/portability was the main factor.

If it's a machine you'll be using regularly though, I'd highly recommend the 15", if for no other reason than the screen.

Cheers,
- Febs.

the_OM
15th April 2005, 06:13 AM
I have a 12'' ibook and a 15'' powerbook.
Do yourself a favour and get the 15''. I don't have an problems with portability, and the screen size is much much better, so much so that I ended up giving my ibook away to another family member because it was just too hard trying to use it after using the 15.

vargz
15th April 2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Febs@Apr 15 2005, 12:15 AM
The Screen on the 12" PB is terrible!
Now... that's a bit rough isn't it. I haven't owned or used either model for long periods, but from the demo comparisons I think saying the 12 screen is 'terrible' is way harsh!

I agree to an extent that it doesn't have the brightness, quality or clarity of the 15 screen, but terrible... nah, just not quite as good! :)

Ed01
15th April 2005, 09:38 AM
I know the 12" isn't as clear as the 15" but comparing it to the two other wintel laptops at home it is great

Phillip
15th April 2005, 11:56 AM
I Think it's quiet simple if you think about it - if you have a external display (17" LCD or bigger) then the PowerBook would be great to take on the road for general computing. The display isn't the best, but it does the job. At home, connect it up to the external display for lid close operation and you got yourself a serious desktop computer. ;)

helloroto
15th April 2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Apr 15 2005, 12:15 AM
I've been in this situation twice. I bought a 12" new last year (1.33GHz), and now have a 12" 1.5Ghz SuperDrive (love staff purchases :D).

If I was buying it as my main computer, absolutely no question - I'd go the 15". Why?
The Screen on the 12" PB is terrible! It's too dim. Far, far, far too dim.

I very rarely use my PowerBook though...basically for uni presentations, and that's about it. So for me, size/portability was the main factor.

If it's a machine you'll be using regularly though, I'd highly recommend the 15", if for no other reason than the screen.

Cheers,
- Febs.
Try adjusting the contrast ;)

jerrah
15th April 2005, 12:23 PM
I find it suprising that people keep telling me that the 12" iB screen isn't as good at the 12" PB screen. Why wouldn't they use the same 12" panels?

The only 12" I've seen PB looked fine.

Febs
15th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Now... that's a bit rough isn't it.

Nope.
I've owned two, my mate has owned one, and I work at an AppleCentre where I use them all the time. The screen is, quite simply, shocking compared to any other LCD (iMac, 15-17" PB, cheapo LCDs etc...) I've used.

I agree most PC laptops I've used have bad screens compared to 15/17" PBs...but I don't think I've seen a dimmer screen on any recent laptop than the 12" PB.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic little machine...I just couldn't live with the screen as my main screen (and no, I don't have poor eyesight. :P)

Try adjusting the contrast ;)

I'd give you a :rolleyes:, but I know you're not serious. :)