PDA

View Full Version : Pwnage 2.0 status update

titan44
15th July 2008, 08:20 AM
iPhone dev team now have a count down up for Pwnage 2.0 release, Looking at around 4:00 am (AU time) tommorow morning.

Unless Geohot releases first

bishopAU
15th July 2008, 08:27 AM
We all love iPhone (http://www.ihazsupper.com/)

isn't the number incrementing and not decreasing?

titan44
15th July 2008, 08:31 AM
Could be all rubbish, but I'm living on impatient hope here. I really want that app store.

limpboy
15th July 2008, 08:33 AM
It looks like a negative number. Maybe it was a countdown to the iPhone 3G launch on the 11th?

stevekicks
15th July 2008, 08:41 AM
here are the two timers together..

devteam on top
geohot on bottom

Link (http://www.iphoneunlocked.nl/)

titan44
15th July 2008, 08:47 AM
Apparently Pwnage 2.0 beta 4 is up on TBP

Edit: can't find it, must be crap.

bishopAU
15th July 2008, 09:52 AM
Apparently Pwnage 2.0 beta 4 is up on TBP

Edit: can't find it, must be crap.

i hope no one is stupid enough to run a beta of the software
bricktastic

not just that, but i doubt they are stupid enough to let it leak like that (to anyone except geohot)

its probably a virus/spyware/malware

thebookfreak58
15th July 2008, 10:05 AM
i hope no one is stupid enough to run a beta of the software
bricktastic

not just that, but i doubt they are stupid enough to let it leak like that (to anyone except geohot)

its probably a virus/spyware/malware

hehe, have a look at the comments of the most recent dev post, geohot posts a comment saying "can't you guys take a joke :-P"

I think the whole thing is one big joke, and I have to say, that picture the dev team did is pretty funny.

TheWatchman
15th July 2008, 10:06 AM
We all love iPhone (http://www.ihazsupper.com/)

isn't the number incrementing and not decreasing?

It's a negative number hence it is actually decreasing - but at the moment it has already skipped zero....so I don't know.

titan44
15th July 2008, 10:07 AM
This is feeling more and more like a day before macworld.

craigd
15th July 2008, 10:18 AM
Im a great believer in the freedom to do what you want with your equipment, so I think that you should be able to install anything on your iphone.

But I am worried about fucking up my iphone now that its legit, the app store is pretty good,

Its annoying that things like the flickr uploader etc are no longer free, but ill live with it

Vaempyr
15th July 2008, 10:21 AM
Im a great believer in the freedom to do what you want with your equipment, so I think that you should be able to install anything on your iphone.

But I am worried about fucking up my iphone now that its legit, the app store is pretty good,

Its annoying that things like the flickr uploader etc are no longer free, but ill live with it
Agreed. But if the only way to get total carrier freedom is via a hack, that may just win out for me.

craigd
15th July 2008, 10:24 AM
Agreed. But if the only way to get total carrier freedom is via a hack, that may just win out for me.

yeah its annoying that we have to resort to such tactics to have a phone we can use the world over, Im really gonna try and resist and keep this legal like i said,

But also i am going to india for 3 months in oct and would be nice to be able to use a local sim in it, Maybe the unlock that optus offer will include that i guess we will have to wait and see

Spartan
15th July 2008, 10:29 AM
Pwnage 2.0 wont unlock 3G iPhones? I didnt know that. Wonder when the 2.0 unlock for 3G will come out?

I think some people are not year clear about the fact that the Dev Team PwnageTool 2.0, is not an unlock for the new 3G iPhone.

repeat:

PwnageTool 2.0 is not an UNLOCK for the new 3G iPhone.

In the US, you will NOT be able to use Tmobile on the new 3G iPhone, after using PwnageTool 2.0

What PwnageTool 2.0 does is make it possible for an unlocked original model, 2G iPhone to use the new FW 2.0.. thats all

Even when there IS an unlock for the 3G iPhone, Tmobile USA does not support the 3G channel the iPhone uses..

so the only real advantage to a 3G iPhone in the US, is you get GPS, with no navigation software, and you get the right to pay ATT $35 more per month than it costs on Tmobile, so you can use 3G internet.. IF you have phone reception..

Im still very happy with my original iPhone, FW 1.1.4, on Tmobile USA. I get reception at my house, with ATT I do not get reception at home.

Moral of the story
Dont get a new 3G iPhone if you dont want to use ATT, cause PwnageTool 2.0 wont unlock it..

I hope that is clearer
Jonathan

[2.0] [3G iPhone] PwnageTool 2.0 is NOT a 3G unlock - Hackint0sh (http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45773)

titan44
15th July 2008, 10:41 AM
mmm

I'd read that the boot loader didn't get updated on 1st gen phones when upgrading to 2.0, i thought it was to reduce the amount of bricks getting handballed to mac genius's.

But then again iphone dev are reporting that the only way apple will be able to stop unlocking is to change the chipset due to pwnage's hook in early in the signed/unsigned code auth process.

wait and see i guess.

Vaempyr
15th July 2008, 10:42 AM
Pwnage 2.0 wont unlock 3G iPhones? I didnt know that. Wonder when the 2.0 unlock for 3G will come out?

From the iphone-dev blog:

This is the command line to talk to your iPhone’s “BIOS” of sorts. It decides what gets run (if it’s signed correctly) or not. Normally it’s very restrictive. Unless it’s been pwned.

Pwnage breaks the chain of trust from the very earliest boot stage, and as the video shows, this chain has now been broken on the iPhone 3G.

They're certainly working on "hacking" the iPhone 3G. Whtehr this will be a jailbreak or an unlock is yet to be seen.

thebookfreak58
15th July 2008, 10:52 AM

They're certainly working on "hacking" the iPhone 3G. Whtehr this will be a jailbreak or an unlock is yet to be seen.

It's jailbreak. Unlock needs jailbreak, but is totally dependant on the bootloader being cracked.

bishopAU
15th July 2008, 10:52 AM

from what bushing himself has said (iphone dev team member)
the unlock for the baseband is a few weeks off
we'll see a jailbreak before we see an unlock

however, from another thread here on mactalk, someone identified that potentially doing a legitimate carrier unlock, then jailbreaking and editing the carrierbundle may allow for usage on 3

Spartan
15th July 2008, 10:54 AM

Jailbreak should be good :)

Customize maybe? :)

Vaempyr
15th July 2008, 10:55 AM
It's jailbreak. Unlock needs jailbreak, but is totally dependant on the bootloader being cracked.

from what bushing himself has said (iphone dev team member)
the unlock for the baseband is a few weeks off
we'll see a jailbreak before we see an unlock

however, from another thread here on mactalk, someone identified that potentially doing a legitimate carrier unlock, then jailbreaking and editing the carrierbundle may allow for usage on 3
So the jailbreak remains a quesation of "when" rather rthan "if", but the unlock is still an "if" (but likely given how deep into the iPhone they seem to have gotten ...).

Tiprya
15th July 2008, 10:55 AM
It will jailbreak and unlock first gen iPhones

It will jailbreak 3G iPhones

How confusing is that?

gehenna
15th July 2008, 11:01 AM

Yeah but from what I understand, while it doesn't provide a full network unlock for the handset, it will allow for unsigned applications to be installed on the 3g iPhone. Not that I care - i just want 2.0 on my gen1 iphone!

Spartan
15th July 2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah but from what I understand, while it doesn't provide a full network unlock for the handset, it will allow for unsigned applications to be installed on the 3g iPhone. Not that I care - i just want 2.0 on my gen1 iphone!

Free apps :D;):p:cool:

fickwalker
15th July 2008, 11:11 AM
How would you go about editing the carrierbundle?

Sorry, I'm new to the whole jailbreaking/unlocking experience.

titan44
15th July 2008, 01:32 PM
Looks like the Boys from Brazil may have done it

YouTube - Primeiro iPhone 3G TOTALMENTE desbloqueado!!! DesbloqueioBr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lQWH24hv4)

Tiprya
15th July 2008, 01:45 PM
Considering I don't speak portugese I got basically nothing out of that, one of the posters said it was a turbosim method though - which is pretty yawn if thats the case

Lutze
15th July 2008, 01:48 PM
Add to that the MasterCard and Visa section = understanding at a price.

No thanks.

camel
15th July 2008, 04:27 PM
hey all,

wondering can i pwn my OLD 2g Iphone, with the new Version 2 software?

have had a little look, but alot of places are blocked here at work?

any thoughts would be great

cheers

mickwheelz
15th July 2008, 08:27 PM
I could give less than a fuck about unlocking my iphone... i dont want to change provider

I just want access to installer.app and other goodies (IE. a DECENT im client, mms, etc)

so hopefully we get at least a jailbreak soon

Tiprya
15th July 2008, 08:31 PM
hey all,

wondering can i pwn my OLD 2g Iphone, with the new Version 2 software?

have had a little look, but alot of places are blocked here at work?

any thoughts would be great

cheers

yes, that is that is the point of the software, it will create a custom firmware and will jailbreak (access to file system / run 3rd party apps) and unlock (allow to run on other carriers) for the original iPhone

Does your work block this thread? Cause all that info was already here...

camel
15th July 2008, 08:33 PM
very nice of you. I couldnt see that explicit info. Just settle down.

I have used the pwn tool to unlock already but was enquiring about the new firmware.

Thanks

Vaempyr
16th July 2008, 12:46 PM
blog.iphone-dev.org | Not sat on our hands... (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/42344032/not-sat-on-our-hands)

It seems that the iPhone 3G is firmly in the Pwnage tool's sights ... :thumbup:

Tiprya
16th July 2008, 12:49 PM
iPhone Atlas said they had some inside info that it might be released as early as this week

Lets hope, im keen to grapple around this app store thing

Spartan
16th July 2008, 12:51 PM
yiPhone (http://yiphone.org/)

What the hell is up with that :p

mitty
16th July 2008, 12:54 PM
Meanwhile, anyone seen this? Apologies if posted already.

New iPhone unlocked - iPhone Insider - Digital Life - theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/news/iphone-insider/new-iphone-unlocked/2008/07/16/1216162905140.html)

Tiprya
16th July 2008, 12:59 PM
Meanwhile, anyone seen this? Apologies if posted already.

New iPhone unlocked - iPhone Insider - Digital Life - theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/news/iphone-insider/new-iphone-unlocked/2008/07/16/1216162905140.html)

Yeah titan44 posted the video earlier, seems to be similar to the turbosim/ sim piggyback method, so not as good as it sounds. Someone in the US confirmed that a sim piggyback method does work as well, but I forget where.

As far as I'm aware there are no vulnerabilities in the iPhone 3G's baseband that can be used to unlock it with software methods

I'm sure its only a matter of time though

andytlr
16th July 2008, 04:50 PM
From the Dev Team blog:

Some additional information.... (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/42423136/some-additional-information)

We’ve read some points in the comments that we would like to formally reply to, and of course we like to keep you updated with our progress and keep you “in the loop”.
The iPhone 3G came out on Friday the 11th of July (a little over 5 days ago).
We had hacks and exploits in our toolbox that we were pretty sure would work on the retail 3G device and not only pre-release devices (these exploits form the basis of the Jailbreak and Pwnage system) so we needed to test these out on real hardware that we’d bought in the stores, our guys in North and South America had to get hold of these devices in the usual way (by driving long distances and queuing up in the stores) and our guys in Europe, Eastern Europe and Russia needed to obtain devices from further afield (one example is a 3G device being personally couriered from Switzerland).
Once the hardware was in our hands the distributed work effort could begin (we reported on our first initial tests being successful on the 11th of July), various members of the team worked on different parts of the hack, they worked on elements that could speed up the packaging of the hack into something that we could deliver to you. The hack that we use is then tested and incorporated into PwnageTool and bugs and glitches are ironed out, these are non-trivial bugs these are the kind of bugs that can brick your phone, we don’t release stuff that we feel will risk your device, we want to make sure that everyone can use it properly and be happy.
We are not holding back on a release to make a UI prettier, we are not working on drop-shadows, pretty UI elements or color-schemes, we know a fantastic graphic artist that just deals with this stuff for us, so we don’t waste any time there, we are just making sure that everything is OK, everything is tested and everything is safe, also the posting of videos and blogging doesn’t use any time as videos are taken in “down time” when we are celebrating progress or a specific achievement (remember how we said this is a hobby and fun), video making, blogging and other public facing activities come second, the real work comes first.
Just remember 5 days isn’t a long time in this type of technology area, in the corporate world fat grumpy middle-managers and overpaid PMs would be just about ready to think about scheduling a “kick off meeting” in their outlook calendars, or in some less crufty organizations the first milestone of “open the iPhone box” would have been more or less completed, but here we are almost at the end of a cutting edge distributed extreme-programming project with many hundreds of man hours already invested.
We are almost there. Those bugs are being swatted. Please fasten your seat-belts.

Tiprya
16th July 2008, 05:04 PM
very nice of you. I couldnt see that explicit info. Just settle down.

I have used the pwn tool to unlock already but was enquiring about the new firmware.

Thanks

I answered your question politely and then added a tongue-in-cheek joke at the end, I'm sorry if that wasn't conveyed properly

stevekicks
16th July 2008, 05:12 PM
Please fasten your seat-belts.
that was nice of them.. the most informative post yet. that's what most people were after.. just some info about how they're going.

im excited about 2.0 software and the appstore, cant wait to try them out!

ozron
16th July 2008, 07:18 PM
I just want to unlock my 2G iPhone... and install some FW 2.0 app goodness!

Nolanistic
20th July 2008, 01:30 PM
I've downloaded the pwnage tool, it's been released, and I've unlocked 4 2.5G iPhones.

Wondering if anyone's tried with a 3G on Optus yet?

Spartan
20th July 2008, 04:36 PM
I've downloaded the pwnage tool, it's been released, and I've unlocked 4 2.5G iPhones.

Wondering if anyone's tried with a 3G on Optus yet?

Just about to.

Just need to download the 2.0 firmware...well find it first then download it.

anarchron
20th July 2008, 04:49 PM
What's the point of a 3G unlock anyway when you can pay Optus to do it for you? You still end up paying the same amount of money anyway in the long run.

Linux_insidev2
20th July 2008, 04:51 PM
What's the point of a 3G unlock anyway when you can pay Optus to do it for you? You still end up paying the same amount of money anyway in the long run.

Pwnage doesn't unlock the iPhone 3G

It does jailbreak it though.

LarryH
20th July 2008, 04:53 PM
Does Pwnage unlock and jailbreak the phone?

Is there an option to just unlock it? If so, does it work with the 3 network?

anarchron
20th July 2008, 05:57 PM
Pwnage doesn't unlock the iPhone 3G

It does jailbreak it though.

Yeah, but there are people here discussing about using pwnage to unlock the iPhone 3G.