PDA

View Full Version : hotmail on iphone - How do I get access

max2314
14th July 2008, 10:44 PM
Is this possible? Can it be synced automatically?

juzz
14th July 2008, 11:28 PM
If you use Izymail you can, but it expires after a month or so and then it costs you money.

I made the switch to gmail last night, I'm glad I did, it's so much faster than Hotmail.

And it gets pushed straight to my iPhone too. :D

timothy
14th July 2008, 11:33 PM
Yea I have to agree with Juzz, Hotmail is kinda out of date and full of spam. Get a Gmail account and tell all your friends... You will be better off...

As for your actual question, no idea.

max2314
14th July 2008, 11:35 PM
are u using mobileme or it just does it automatically?

macsyd
14th July 2008, 11:36 PM
I think mobile.live.com works, although it ain't pretty! Migrate to another service instead - you won't regret it! Short term pain for a fair whack of gain.

juzz
14th July 2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah you can access it via hotmail.com or msn.com, I probably should have mentioned that.

But AFAIK the only way you can get it synced automatically (pushed) is via Izymail, which costs money. I went for Gmail as it's free, and better.

themessup
14th July 2008, 11:49 PM
Another vote for Gmail here. BTW, so 'push' email just means its always active and gets email even though your not using the mail app? So its 'pushed' to your iPhone? Is there anyway I can choose to use Wi-Fi for all of my data if its available? Because I am home alot...

cjuiz
14th July 2008, 11:51 PM
Another vote for Gmail here. BTW, so 'push' email just means its always active and gets email even though your not using the mail app? So its 'pushed' to your iPhone? Is there anyway I can choose to use Wi-Fi for all of my data if its available? Because I am home alot...

You iphone will use wifi over 3g whenever its available.

samuelowens
14th July 2008, 11:54 PM
Don't forget you can also forward your Hotmail to another account (such as Gmail or Yahoo mail) while you change your mailing lists to the new address.

I've made the change and am down to just a few emails still on Hotmail...

jrad
14th July 2008, 11:56 PM
Since when did Gmail have IMAP Push? I don't believe it does...

wolfie
15th July 2008, 12:31 AM
guys is izymail fetch or push for iphone/hotmail combo?

augustus hill
15th July 2008, 12:31 AM
Since when did Gmail have IMAP Push? I don't believe it does...
as of october 23rd 2007

juzz
15th July 2008, 12:36 AM
Don't forget you can also forward your Hotmail to another account (such as Gmail or Yahoo mail) while you change your mailing lists to the new address.

I've made the change and am down to just a few emails still on Hotmail...

Not anymore you can't (if you are referring to automatically forwarding email to another address), you can only automatically forward Hotmail emails to other @hotmail or @msn emails, not Gmail and Yahoo.

I just spent an hour last night changing all my details on various sites over to my new Gmail account, it was a bit tedious but at least I don't have to worry about it anymore.

cjuiz
15th July 2008, 12:40 AM
as of october 23rd 2007

They have IMAP, NOT push IMAP.

jrad
15th July 2008, 12:49 AM
Thats what i thought. Push IMAP is different to IMAP guys... (and gals!)

juzz
15th July 2008, 12:59 AM
So my gmail won't get pushed to my iPhone? I have to manually select mail to check my emails?

Lachie
15th July 2008, 01:01 AM
im on y7mail and it works flawlessly straight out of the box. i made the move so i could get myname at y7mail.com pretty sleek email if you ask me. plus its much prettier and faster. best of all it actually safari friendly

scruffie
15th July 2008, 01:31 AM
I'm with Lachie on this. I've got myself a y7mail addy and it now works well (push didn't work so well when it was first announced circa year ago). If you go to the yahoo.co.uk addy, you can dump the y7mail domain and use ymail and rocketmail (its back!)

dolbinau
15th July 2008, 08:00 AM
So my gmail won't get pushed to my iPhone? I have to manually select mail to check my emails?

Yes; GMail don't push e-mails. You can use Fetch to check it every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. Although for some reason this isn't working for me either (and Gmail is set to fetch) - but in theory it should work.

samuelowens
15th July 2008, 08:03 AM
Not anymore you can't (if you are referring to automatically forwarding email to another address), you can only automatically forward Hotmail emails to other @hotmail or @msn emails, not Gmail and Yahoo.

I just spent an hour last night changing all my details on various sites over to my new Gmail account, it was a bit tedious but at least I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Hmmm... On Windows Live Hotmail, I have my (rather old) account being forwarded to my yahoo.com.au address. I only set it up a couple of months ago.

It says "You can forward your mail to one other e-mail address." No qualifications...

chrome
15th July 2008, 09:10 AM
only mobileme and yahoo mail do push to iPhones.

Push is much better than fetching every 15 minutes or whatever, because those fetched use data to do the poll. For people with tight data plans this will be a problem.

Push only uses a tiny bit of data only when you actually recieve an email.

juzz
15th July 2008, 01:23 PM
Hopefully with a 500mb per month plan, fetching every hour won't eat up too much data will it?

And hopefully gmail allows push email soon too. :(

Fingers crossed.

dolbinau
15th July 2008, 01:27 PM
I doubt it will use up much data at all.

kevinnugent
17th July 2008, 09:42 PM
Use this webpage as a guide: Your mail is here, come and get it!: Hotmail now offers POP Access for Hotmail Plus users (http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!44348.entry?wa=wsignin1.0)

1) Set up new mail account
2) Select "other"
3) Enter name, address, password
4) Click "save"
5) You will get error message that mail service isn't supported by iPhone, click "ok"
6) Make sure POP is selected
7) For incoming mail server, enter: pop3.live.com
8) User name = email address (including @hotmail.com)
9) Password should already be populated
10) For outgoing mail server, enter: smtp.live.com
11) Enter user name (email address) and password
12) Click "save"
13) iPhone will validate POP3 account info
14) Go back into the account you just created
15) Click outgoing mail server "SMTP"
16) Click "smtp.live.com"
17) Change server port to 25
18) Go back to account page
19) Click on "advanced"
20) Make use "use SSL" is on and "server port" is 995

You should be able to go into Mail now and fetch your Hotmail inbox. I cannot see any folders other than inbox on the iPhone, and there is no way to push Hotmail to the iPhone.

Hope this helps!

benzoenator
17th July 2008, 09:46 PM
When I finally get my hands on an iPhone, I'll just forward everything straight to my mobileme account. That way I get push. Does anyone know if MobileMe allows email aliases? So, for example, if something gets sent from my gmail account to MobileMe, can I reply to the message and have it appear as if I've sent it from my gmail account?

wolfie
17th July 2008, 09:57 PM
currently im using izymail ( subscription member ) to fetch from my hotmail account to my mobileme account to push to my iphone but it pushes it to my iphone very erratically and random times.

i just want something simple to work!

wolfie
17th July 2008, 10:04 PM
if anyone can tell me the best way to get hotmail forwarded to my mobileme account, with or without izymail that would be great.

something that fetches from hotmail at regular intervals?

macaholic
17th July 2008, 10:08 PM
currently im using izymail ( subscription member ) to fetch from my hotmail account to my mobileme account to push to my iphone but it pushes it to my iphone very erratically and random times.

i just want something simple to work!

Apparently MobileMe is very erratic, and they are dropping the word "push" as it don't always happen, at least not very immediately. See the MobileMe thread.

wolfie
17th July 2008, 10:16 PM
i dont have a problem with my mobile me account and emails used on that account, its just the forwarding bewteen hotmail and mobileme is erratic, im nsure whether this is mobileme fault or izymail fault