PDA

View Full Version : Unuseable New 15" Powerbook 1.5GHZ HELP!

macshack
4th May 2004, 02:30 PM
I have a new Powerbook 15" 1.5GHZ model deliverd this morning and my excitement has been shortlived!

Whilst setting up the OS.....when I reach the section for selecting the appropriate language ie English, I am unable to select it...(or any other option for that matter!)...the pointer still moves around fine so the system has not seized - I simply cannot click on and select my chosen language.

battery is fully charged, have restarted a number of times - but it insists on grinding to a halt at the language setting section every TIME.

I am now desperate for help...called Apple Tech support who were less than helpful...saying take it to an Apple Centre but I can't really afford to lose the worktime on this machine. wanted to explore possibilities BEFORE handing it over to them....

any help VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

tia
Rebecca

Disko
4th May 2004, 02:39 PM
Hmm... how many times have you tried installing?

If resetting the P Ram doesn't work (hold :cmd:+option+P+R on boot) i'd suggest booting off the DVD that came with it (hold C to boot off it) and running the Apple Hardware test.

Let us know how you go.

wickeddigital
4th May 2004, 03:03 PM
I am guessing you are trying to install from the RESTORE disc as that is what it will ask for by default. Try this:

Restart and insert the INSTALL disc and hold down the C key
This will force it to start from the CD and then tyr to install form that disc

This will determine if your RESTORE disc is faulty or the machine itself.