PDA

View Full Version : Great App Idea!

cammo
14th July 2008, 10:10 PM
Well, at least I think it could be?

I am a pro photographer using a EOS 1DMKIII and a EOS 1DSMKIII. Unfortunately neither of these or any pro digital slr's include gps modules as standard. They can be purchased as an 'add-on' and they are literally added on to the side of the cameras, making them cumbersome and virtually unusable.

I am a current iPhone 1st Gen user and know that, like anyone with a mobile phone, it is ALWAYS no more than a metre from the camera at all times.

If you syncronized your camera's clock with the new 3G iPhone clock and you had an application that kept a simple log of gps coordinates, maybe every 15 seconds or so, when you get back to your computer you could syncronize this log with the time contained within the photo exif tags and update the exif tags with the gps coordinates. (Nearly all current digital photo files handle exif gps info tagging). This would then leave you with a set of photos with full geotagging.

Sound feasible? Anyone heard if there are plans for something like this? :confused:

Cam

marc
14th July 2008, 10:14 PM
Very tricky as it'd require an iPhone component and a Mac OS X component. Good idea though.

- - e r i k - -
14th July 2008, 11:19 PM
Not tricky at all. This is how external GPS modules work for cameras already. I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday morning.

adamd
14th July 2008, 11:24 PM
Not tricky at all. This is how external GPS modules work for cameras already. I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday morning.

You know what they say... Great minds think alike.

This would be awesome. Even though I don't have an iPhone (yet), it would be awesome to "GeoTag" images as they're taken. Would be a great demonstration of iPhone/Mac integration.

Yellow_Fuzzy
14th July 2008, 11:58 PM
It is an interesting idea, I also do some photography and would be something that I might also use. From a quick Google there are a number of people out there using GPS Loggers with PC/Mac software to link them to photos.

i.e. http://oregonstate.edu/~earlyj/gpsphotolinker/

There are a few technical issues on the iPhone though:
1. Running the GPS all the time would significantly reduce battery life.

2. With limitations in the SDK the application would have to always be open in order to log. i.e. if you switch to another app it stops running.

If you really are after a solution a dedicated GPS logger would probably be the best solution for you.

oneplusone
15th July 2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.eye.fi/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/eye-fi_cards_explorergb1.jpg

link-o-matic (http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/)

Have you seen this???

Does geotagging

"Using its built-in Wi-Fi, the Eye-Fi Card locates any surrounding Wi-Fi networks as you take pictures. Then, the Eye-Fi Service translates that data into geograhic location and adds the information to each picture (in the EXIF data) as it is delivered to the web or your computer. "

wolfie
15th July 2008, 12:33 AM
ill be more interested in a hardware/software product where you can plug in your digital camera directly into the iphone, transfer the pics across, and if you have mobileme, easy access to stick clear, quality photos on the net almost immediatly.

marc
15th July 2008, 01:09 AM
Simple in concept, but the hard part is getting the data off the iPhone and back into an app that can glue the GPS coords to your images.

It requires and iPhone app that'll need to be running all the time you're taking photos (because iPhone apps can't run in the background), some way of transferring the data to your Mac (could be done via an internet server) and a Mac OS X desktop app to tag the images.

File under: tricky!

"Using its built-in Wi-Fi, the Eye-Fi Card locates any surrounding Wi-Fi networks as you take pictures. Then, the Eye-Fi Service translates that data into geograhic location and adds the information to each picture (in the EXIF data) as it is delivered to the web or your computer. "
Very cool!