PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash Cards

kaisersozay
14th April 2005, 11:22 AM
As a newbie to these memory cards and how they relate to Macs, I need some help.
I have purchased a Canon 300D to launch into digital work and utilise my existing lenses. the unit will arrive in about ten days. I am aware there is no CF card with the camera, so I bought a Sandisk 512mb for openers.
At the same time, my wife was after an MP3 player and I did acquire an inexpensive device (advertised as Mac OS X compatible) that utilises SD card. Got one of those also (a 256mb Sandisk).
Using my card reader/writer my Mac flagged me that it could not read the card (DOS-FAT_something). I then erased and initialised it as Mac Extended and it consequently mounted and recognised. I then dragged an MP3 music track to the card and tested the result. OK. It played thru iTunes.
However it will not play in the MP3 player. I get Track 1 Error.
On close examination of the MP3 player instructions, I not that they only claim it works with up to 128mb SD cards! Maybe, possibly, others up to 1GB.
Could it be the card capacity?
Was it a mistake to format the SD card? If so, how would one transfer material to it?
Now, back to the camera and its CF card (so far unopened), is the card format specific to the camera and cannot be Mac formatted?
I am certain there is a simple answer, but I am a dope and slow witted. Can someone point me towards a solution?
Currently I am running OS X 10.2.8

purana
14th April 2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by kaisersozay@Apr 14 2005, 11:22 AM
Was it a mistake to format the SD card? If so, how would one transfer material to it?
Now, back to the camera and its CF card (so far unopened), is the card format specific to the camera and cannot be Mac formatted?
I am certain there is a simple answer, but I am a dope and slow witted. Can someone point me towards a solution?
Currently I am running OS X 10.2.8
The mp3 player can't read MAC formatted cards. If the card was FAT formatted (then it should remain that way. For it to once again work in the MP3 player, you need to put the format back to what it was.

As for the camera, do not format its card either (from the mac). The camera will not work if the card is formatted to a format it don't know. ie. It won't read NTFS, HFS, HFS+ formatted memory cards (as it doesn't have the capibilities). Typically these things are formatted some old FAT16 format (ie. old DOS format) as the manufacturers have the ability to read this.

EDIT: Most cameras have menu functions that lead you to a section to format media. Plonk new card in camera and then proceed to format it from the cameras format menus. Once done, it will then use it. (the MP3 player won't have this option, so your going to need to manaully set its format back using various tools (and maybe even getting someone with a windows PC worse case))

SO now you know why :)

kaisersozay
14th April 2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks iodine. I get it. So, the card will have to be reformatted by a PC to be of use in the MP3 player.
Does that mean that the only way to get material onto the card is to have it read and transferred by a PC?
Will a PC reformat the card?
I assume my MP3 music could be burned to a CD then played via a PC into my SD card?
Seems odd that the MP3 player says Mac compatible, but SD card is declared unreadable as it is DOS FAT.

larfinboy
14th April 2005, 04:46 PM
I must be missing somethere here as all my Macs will read DOS_FAT formatted memory cards.
But I am running 10.3 on all my machines.

hawker
14th April 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by larfinboy@Apr 14 2005, 04:46 PM
I must be missing somethere here as all my Macs will read DOS_FAT formatted memory cards.
If its the same as hard drives it should read/write to a FAT drive.

It should only read an NTFS drive!

kaisersozay
14th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 14 2005, 05:07 PM
If its the same as hard drives it should read/write to a FAT drive.

It should only read an NTFS drive!
If what is the same as hard drives? The CF cards?
And what exactly is an NTFS drive?
Perhaps OS 10.3 reads and writes to DOS-FAT CF cards. But my G4 and 10.2.8 seems to reject the offer. I also run Zip internal and external and they certainly show up PC formatted disks which can take Mac files on board. Frankly I was surprised by the rejection. Can my USB connect be the problem?

LCGuy
14th April 2005, 09:51 PM
NTFS = Windows NT/2000/XP File System, the format that Windows NT/2000/XP uses to format HDs instead of FAT32 or HFS+.

kaisersozay
17th April 2005, 01:54 PM
Aha! Thankyou LCGUY and iodine. Very helpful and appreciated. A friend has a PC and I had him reformat the SD card. Easy.
Stuck it back in my Reader/writer, dragged the desired tracks across and then put the card into the MP3 player and all is well.
Thanks for the explanation about the acronym. I understand that it is a forum and any gibberish goes, but usually if someone asks for help because they do not understand how something works, they probably would not be aware of tech talk or acronyms pertaining to same. Simple explanations work just fine. Be that as it may, it is great that everyone helps out. Great forum. Thanks.

purana
17th April 2005, 02:29 PM
No problem

hawker
17th April 2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kaisersozay@Apr 17 2005, 01:54 PM
A friend has a PC and I had him reformat the SD card. Easy.
See - Windows based PC's are good for something...