PDA

View Full Version : Too many sucky apps.

chrome
13th July 2008, 05:18 PM
Is it just me or are the number of really sucky/useless applications unreasonably high in the app store?

I mean, its ok to release a sucky app that you used to learn the SDK ... but then to charge $1.20 for it? You've got to be joking.

dolbinau
13th July 2008, 05:22 PM
I agree I'm not too impressed with the applications in the App store (see http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/53145-you-disappointed-app-store.html).

Hopefully in time (now that the developer program is open) we'll see some great apps.

spilla
13th July 2008, 05:24 PM
I thought that Apple would have been more strict with the apps that they're allowing onto the store.

For example, Erica Sadun's "Flashlight" and the other apps that are exactly like it are pretty much useless.

iSlayer
13th July 2008, 05:27 PM
It's not just you thats for sure. The thing is apple have made it so easy for people to not only build apps but to charge for them. Its 50x harder to do a shareware app for a desktop platform so your going to see alot of people building crappy little iphone apps and charging for them.

aswitcher
13th July 2008, 05:29 PM
It's not just you thats for sure. The thing is apple have made it so easy for people to not only build apps but to charge for them. Its 50x harder to do a shareware app for a desktop platform so your going to see alot of people building crappy little iphone apps and charging for them.

Hanging out for your Apps iSlayer.

bennyling
13th July 2008, 05:30 PM
Hanging out for your Apps iSlayer.

+1, as I'm sure may of us here are...

Then again - I might need an iPhone first :p

Phase
13th July 2008, 05:30 PM
I don't think it's that bad.

There are some terrific programs on there, like Remote, Shazam and Evernote.

and hey, those 3 are all free :p

Mutters
13th July 2008, 05:34 PM
I agree I'm not too impressed with the applications in the App store (see http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/53145-you-disappointed-app-store.html).

Hopefully in time (now that the developer program is open) we'll see some great apps.

Yes, and your poll results say 3 out of 4 are happy with the store!

Plus it's very very early days.

mutters

dolbinau
13th July 2008, 05:35 PM
Although there are so many, (some even paid) the flashlight apps aren't completely useless. Try using the home screen light vs the flashlight *white* light to light up in complete darkness and you'll see why :).

But yeah, I thought since they only had a limited beta run they'd get all the "pro" developers first up.

spilla
13th July 2008, 05:38 PM
Although there are so many, (some even paid) the flashlight apps aren't completely useless. Try using the home screen light vs the flashlight *white* light to light up in complete darkness and you'll see why :).

But yeah, I thought since they only had a limited beta run they'd get all the "pro" developers first up.

What's wrong with just using safari and stop loading a page before anything appears? :p

landog
13th July 2008, 05:40 PM
im surprised there arent some big names in there.

Wheres skype or IM clients..what about a proper weather app.

what about GPS navigation apps.

I mean seriously..

My guess is that many of the big names werent prepared to launch until they waited for the phone to launch and the first set of bugs to be acknowledged etc

Cheers

MrJesseRoss
13th July 2008, 06:58 PM
For example, Erica Sadun's "Flashlight" and the other apps that are exactly like it are pretty much useless.

I like how 'Light' has a massive legal document, pointing out that Erica Sadun provides no technical support for Light, and isn't liable for any damages that may arise from its use. It really is massve overkill for a blank screen app.

beer.coffee
13th July 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't like how the good apps are lost in the sea of useless app's. Makes it seam kinda cheap in my opinion.

scottgrot
13th July 2008, 07:05 PM
I thought that Apple would have been more strict with the apps that they're allowing onto the store.

I this app all the time! What's wrong with using safari and stopping the page? Too many steps.

I like how 'Light' has a massive legal document, pointing out that Erica Sadun provides no technical support for Light, and isn't liable for any damages that may arise from its use. It really is massve overkill for a blank screen app.

I reckon it is more about a sense of humour. Huge overkill for a white screen; I find that rather funny.

But I agree, and I would not pay $1.27 for a bill splitter app. But perhaps I am too cheap?

reemixx
13th July 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't like how the good apps are lost in the sea of useless app's. Makes it seam kinda cheap in my opinion.

That's exactly how I feel. I don't mind that there's some crappy apps in there, but it's really difficult and time consuming to find the good ones. You literally have to browse through all of them in a category. Don't really know a solution to that, though. They've already got the top 10 apps, etc.

I think we'll soon see some better ones though, from the big names. And we've also got each other to recommend good apps. News travels fast in the Mac world, especially with the MacTalkers :)

Mohawk
13th July 2008, 07:32 PM

Just wait a week or so, once more apps start getting reviewed/rated we will just have to view the top apps to see the decent ones.

Also it won't be long and all of the obvious applications will have been made and copied to death, meaning that nobody will be able to charge for them anymore as free alternatives will be available. I've already seen so many duplicate apps in the store that I thought the store was having issues.

Eitherway, I don't see myself sifting through the Appstore to find my applications, I'd expect it to be similar to how I find apps for my iBook, accidentally stumbling across them through sites like Digg and Mactalk not to mention blogs and word of mouth from other iPhone owners.
Each and every month sites like Gizmodo will have another 'Top 10 applications for your iPhone' feature.

Once everyone stops with the 'OMG APP STORE FTW' it will even out. Take my word for it. ;)

matthewk
13th July 2008, 07:41 PM
I really like the flashlight apps, would be nice if they could increase the backight brightness automatically.

chrome
13th July 2008, 07:46 PM
Here's an idea. Someone could make an application that implements all the lame non-free applications as a single app. They could then push out an update to implement new non-free apps as they come out. This 'meta-lame-application' would of course be free.

reemixx
13th July 2008, 07:58 PM
I really like the flashlight apps, would be nice if they could increase the backight brightness automatically.

Doesn't Erica Sadun's Light app go to max brightness automatically? It did on my jailbroken iPod Touch at least.

There's also an app on the US iTunes Store called FiatLux that does the same thing but you can choose the screen/light colour (white, red, green, blue) and there's a slider to adjust brightness. It's a free app.

aspro
13th July 2008, 08:01 PM
I have found there are a bunch of great apps on the app store. Sure many are absolute rubbish, but how many hopeless apps for OS X are there? Far too many!

As the store matures the top lists will become far more useful, especially when used in conjunction with word of mouth and other forms of marketing. I mean we find OS X applications plenty fine and with App Store you can find all the apps even easier; they are all in one spot!

lavo
13th July 2008, 08:05 PM

I really expected the App store to be the big difference between the iPhone and the rest (WM/Palm/Symbian). Apple use to chest beat about the Mac having only quality software, unlike the multitudes of crap available for Windows.

It almost looks to me is if most of the big hame stuff just wasn't ready for the launch, so Apple padded out the store with heaps of rubbish apps to make the store look better than it really was.

chrome
13th July 2008, 08:06 PM
I have found there are a bunch of great apps on the app store. Sure many are absolute rubbish, but how many hopeless apps for OS X are there? Far too many!

My whinge is more about the fact they had a limited signup for developers and most wasted their chance by producing crud.

Sure, there are loads of crap apps for OSX, but those don't require approval from Apple to distribute. You'd think there'd be SOME standard applied here.

matthewk
13th July 2008, 08:09 PM
The cream will eventually come to the top. And when people can test on an actual iPhone some better apps may come out, oh and there will be more developers.

decryption
13th July 2008, 08:32 PM
I agree - lots of shite apps on the app store. Too many Windows developers ruining the gene pool!

There will be a legion of Mac developers ready to counter them though :)

Give it time - great apps don't come out of thin air.

Maticks
13th July 2008, 08:52 PM
agreed but with that said games like monkey ball and enigmo show us what people who want to build something nice in a short time.
I love enigmo but my iphone battery doesn't :)

The worse app on the store is the scientific calculator for $5 that looks exactly the same as the free one you get by opening up the calculator app and turning the phone sideways.
If your going to do a calculator do a subnet calculator not one of those on here.

Im looking forward to seeing some mainstream app's i was quiet surprised they didnt hit the store on the opening day or following days.

What was interesting is Ebay's Free app can only be downloaded from the american store even though it shows up in the Australian store.

Im waiting to see an IceTV app for managing recordings.
An Australian News App
A terminal App i'd like i dont care if i have to pay $12 for it, ssh is nice to have and i miss it.
Im also hoping Optus release an App to monitor your data and cap plan usage but im not holding my breathe :)

braex27
13th July 2008, 08:56 PM
It strikes me as odd that once we feared the present of the so-called 'white screen of death' and now... hmmm.... a whole app which does just that. Haha.

chrism238
14th July 2008, 09:26 AM
Interesting to note that Caissa Chess was previously freely available through Installer for jailbroken devices. Now it's in the AppStore for $12.99 - ahhh, free enterprise! ;)
Of course, you can find it under "Business".

QueenOfSwords
14th July 2008, 09:34 AM
BookZ is a nice idea (cheap e-reader) but CRASHTASTIC. I tried downloading a couple of classics off project gutenberg, Pride and Prejudice worked *once* and nothing else did, it dumps me back to the home screen.

An odd 'feature' is the one where you can apparently import txt files from your filesystem (I see 'DCIM, Downloads, Photos, and PublicStaging' folders). Um, I don't think that works on unjailbroken phones...

Hey I can read my log files!!! It really does let you browse the filesystem. Ooops.

/I think my new hobby is filing iPhone bug reports.

iSlayer
14th July 2008, 09:42 AM
Now there are developers abusing the naming system to get there apps on page 1 - Pulling a Wozniak: Apple App Store Developers Furious Over Crafty "Line Jumping" Application Names (http://gizmodo.com/5024705/pulling-a-wozniak-apple-app-store-developers-furious-over-crafty-line-jumping-application-names)

- - e r i k - -
14th July 2008, 12:51 PM
BookZ is a nice idea (cheap e-reader) but CRASHTASTIC. I tried downloading a couple of classics off project gutenberg, Pride and Prejudice worked *once* and nothing else did, it dumps me back to the home screen.eReader is free :confused:

QueenOfSwords
14th July 2008, 01:38 PM
yeah but doesn't ereader only support paid content off their site? I wanted an ereader app for text files from Project Gutenberg, etc.

alasen
14th July 2008, 01:44 PM
You might try iPhone BookShelf - Welcome (http://www.iphonebookshelf.com/) - it's $12.99 but I think it's worth it. Reads non-DRM txt, html, pdb, plucker, etc, and looks nice doing it.
I haven't loaded all my files yet though, but it's pretty easy to do so.
DearAuthor's review mentioned some bugs but I haven't come across those yet.

ozymandias
14th July 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty dissapointed with the IPhone apps in the Aussie store anyway. There some cool location based social networking stuff in the US I would love to see here so I hope developers over here really go for it. It's frustrating that the US gets all the cool stuff.

There are some diamonds though, Evernote and Omnifocus for me.

I would love to see Aus apps for Movies, Transperth, Commbank, WHERE and Loopt.

TheWatchman
14th July 2008, 01:52 PM
Whole bunch of new apps come out each day - just select all apps and sort by release date to see the new ones each day

Those looking for an eBook reader for free check this out http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284956128&mt=8

decryption
14th July 2008, 02:01 PM
Is there an RSS feed for new stuff on the Australian App Store?

TheWatchman
14th July 2008, 02:06 PM
Is there an RSS feed for new stuff on the Australian App Store?

Is there one for the iTunes store? If there is you need to point me to it :)

QueenOfSwords
14th July 2008, 04:32 PM
Whole bunch of new apps come out each day - just select all apps and sort by release date to see the new ones each day

Those looking for an eBook reader for free check this out http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284956128&mt=8

*That* is a nice e-reader, and it does have the titles I'm looking for. It did crash on me once though. :rolleyes: but it's a distinct improvement, and the price is right.
Also, nice that that link works on my iPhone. I don't know if that's new, I don't think it used to work on my Touch.

Kensei
19th July 2008, 01:41 AM
I really expected the App store to be the big difference between the iPhone and the rest (WM/Palm/Symbian). Apple use to chest beat about the Mac having only quality software, unlike the multitudes of crap available for Windows.

It almost looks to me is if most of the big hame stuff just wasn't ready for the launch, so Apple padded out the store with heaps of rubbish apps to make the store look better than it really was.

Yeah I agree. i mean there are 5-6 gas mileage apps (WTH?) and none of them usuable in Australia (all in gallons). I mean some apps are so poor i don't think Apple even screened them.

Didn't Apple limit the initial number of developers to ensure the "quality" of apps for launch or so the Apple PR machine would have us believe. Many of the apps have been rushed in order to cash in on the early app store buzz, most are no name developers tho.

I think all the good palm/symbian/wimo developers are actually taking their time to make sure a proper job is done. I know I am still waiting for my medical apps from Skyscape and several other apps i have used for ages on both palm and wimo devices.

Personally the whole experience of the app store has been similar to wading through excrement and occasionally finding a gem of an application. I have only bought a few and haven't got my iphone yet to test them but I have heard good things about them.

Not having the ability to trial the apps or at least see them in action in a demo before purchase is crazy. So many descriptions in the comments section are like: "I wasted $12.99 on this terrible app".

I know Rome wasn't built in a day but.... not the most auspicious launch :(