PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Please, please

Analog6
13th July 2008, 01:22 PM
I did something on my Mac (and don't ask me what because I don't know which step it was - it was playiong up and asking me stupid questions and would not give me access to my external drive and I was impatient - mea culpa). Using 10.3.3. It told me I did not have rights to access my drives, even exteral ones, although I was logged in as Adnministrator.

It asked me to authenticate (I think). Then it restatrted itself and all my goodies are gone. Office 2004 is there but won't open or show in the bar at the bottom of the screen. No email. External drives don't show.

This sequence may be wrong, it happened a week or so ago and I turned it off in disgust and have been using my Macbook.

Reinstall?

If I do this, will my address books in Safari still be there (praying madly)?

I've been using my Portable since then and now IT won't come up - the screen is gone to sleep, and usually if I hit the spacebar, up she comes. But nothing! How do you turn a portable off if you haven't got a screen? I know there is an emergency key sequence but don't know what it is. I plugged in a spare 17" monitor that I sometimes use as a second one on it for photo editing but it has no pics either.

I'm reduced to a PC (shock horror). Can anyone help?

meinrosebud
13th July 2008, 01:35 PM
You may have accidently deleted your account, or did you just create a new account?

If you reinstall and were synced up with MobileMe (.Mac) you should me happy to find it exists after the install.

silverdreamer
13th July 2008, 01:40 PM
Re the Macbook.
Take the Battery out. Then put it back in turn it back on.... What happens?

timothy
13th July 2008, 01:42 PM
How do you turn a portable off if you haven't got a screen?

I'm reduced to a PC (shock horror). Can anyone help?

Just hold the power button down until it "forces shut down"
Then start it up again. Should be okay...

Analog6
13th July 2008, 03:53 PM
meinrosebud - I don't think I was synched up. And I don't THINK I created a new account or deleted my old one . . . But I'll reinstall OSX and see what happens.

timothy - thank you, it's working fine again now, it must have just had a hiccup.

Thanks to all for the tips.

leon
13th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Before reinstalling I would boot up off your Panther disc and try repairing the disk permissions on your HDD. It sounds like you have had an ownership problem on your iMac. I have had this happen from time to time with a random folder, but I have never had it happen to my entire system.

You didn't try renaming your user folder or anything like that did you?