PDA

View Full Version : Download music videos from the iTMS

Disko
4th May 2004, 10:05 AM
One of the new features of the iTunes Music Store is that you can now watch a variety of music videos online via the iTunes player. What you can't do is save them to your hard drive.... or so it might seem. ;)

All you need to do is load up the video in iTunes (and let it load all the way), and once that is done open terminal and type:
cp -v `lsof |grep -i QTP| grep iTunes|awk '{ print $9 }'` ~/Desktop/currentmusicvideo.movDoing that will copy the movie to your desktop with the title 'currentmusicvideo.mov'. Just rename it, and it is yours. :)

LCGuy
4th May 2004, 10:39 AM
Sweet. Any way to do it on a PC? (i'm unfortunately 400km from my iMac at the moment, and the imac don't have broadband. :(

Disko
4th May 2004, 10:41 AM
Not sure how, but i'm sure there's a way to do it on PC.

dworld
17th May 2004, 07:16 PM
There's also iGetMovies (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21533&vid=122772)

I've downloaded it but haven't bothered installing it yet so I'm not sure how good it is.

Think it's in French too but he's supposed to be working on an English version.

Phillip
17th May 2004, 10:35 PM
thanks for the tip *goes off and downloads clips*

Ignoramus
16th June 2004, 04:36 PM
Seems this no longer works using iTunes 4.6

Instead just get a message saying how to use cp :(

Disko
16th June 2004, 04:45 PM
cp -v `lsof |grep -i QTP| grep iTunes|awk '{ print $9 }'` ~/Desktop/currentmusicvideo.mov

Pasting that into a terminal window after the video is fully loaded in itunes works fine here on 4.6...

LCGuy
16th June 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Disko@May 4 2004, 10:41 AM
Not sure how, but i'm sure there's a way to do it on PC.
I'm currently investigating this on my PC. I'm thinking that there's a hidden iTunes cache folder somewhere, where it stores the movie. I'll post here if i find anything interesting. :)

LCGuy
16th June 2004, 06:41 PM
Quick question: the video clips are QT movies, aren't they? They aren't mp4 or anything like that, right?

Disko
16th June 2004, 06:46 PM
yep. quicktime all the way. :)

LCGuy
16th June 2004, 06:50 PM
Ah, ok. Because i did a search on my HD, and i set it to look in hidden files and folders and in system folders, but it didn't come up with the video i had opened. It has to be there, in a cache or something SOMEWHERE...

Herbie
18th June 2004, 08:57 AM
I'm currently using iTMS Extractor and it's working great.

You have to allow the video clip to full load before you can save it but that's the only "limitation" I can see with it.