PDA

View Full Version : App to turn off 3G/Edge data usage

jamesk5
12th July 2008, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know of an app that will turn off 3G/Edge data usage, and as such only use Wi-Fi?? I know there was such an app for the original iPhone, but can't seem to find anything for iPhone 3G.

Huy
12th July 2008, 09:49 PM
That's the problem about having a legit AppStore.

No such app yet.

If you want to disable everything but Wi-Fi, use AirPort mode.

If you want the mobile function, disable 3G. I'm not aware of a way to disable GPRS though.

chrome
12th July 2008, 11:09 PM
to disable cellular data usage you need to set the APN to something invalid, such as "penis".

macaholic
12th July 2008, 11:11 PM
...invalid, such as "penis".

Yours is invalid?

Huy
12th July 2008, 11:15 PM
to disable cellular data usage you need to set the APN to something invalid, such as "penis".

That would be great, if we could do that. Problem is, I can't seem to change the APN at all on the 3G iPhone, compared to my old 1st gen. Same SIM. ;)

Shintaro
13th July 2008, 12:21 PM
I know you cant do much about EDGE/GPRS, but there is an option to disable 3G.

cmanou
13th July 2008, 05:23 PM
has someone found a way yet to turn off cellular data off just wasted all my prepaid credit when i was connected to my home wifi

Huy
13th July 2008, 05:39 PM
If you're at home, doesn't it use WiFi over GPRS?

And no, haven't found a way to disable it. But checking my usage stats, it hasn't sent any data. So hopefully I haven't lost any credit yet. (I'm also on prepaid).

mechcon
13th July 2008, 05:43 PM
wtf? so theres no proper way to turn off the data usage? fuck, that's no good!

Huy
13th July 2008, 05:52 PM
wtf? so theres no proper way to turn off the data usage? fuck, that's no good!

That is correct.

It comes out of the box with 3G enabled. I don't have a 3G data plan so that is just sucking battery, so I've turned it off.

I can use wireless data just fine (home network).

I can't disable the GPRS though, unlike on the 1st gen iPhones where you could select (and change) your APN/data settings for GPRS.

Though to date, I have not been charged because it says I have no cellular network data plan/subscription (which is true).

Reubania
13th July 2008, 05:52 PM
No, no way to turn off data.

It always switches to the fastest method as its default. So if you're using wifi (make sure iPhone has it turned on and has joined your network), it will ONLY use it for data download. Its only once there is no free wifi to connect to, it will default to 3G, then EDGE (not with Optus) and then GPRS. At this stage, you can only turn off 3G, but it will automatically look for EDGE/GPRS if you want to browse/surf the net or use apps that update data through the internet.

leigh22
13th July 2008, 06:00 PM
wait, so if im on prepaid and 3g is on it will constantly be using my data?

so unless i monitor any apps that use dat and urn them off it will eventually drain away all my credit???

wtf?

Huy
13th July 2008, 06:02 PM

so unless i monitor any apps that use dat and urn them off it will eventually drain away all my credit???

wtf?

I think 3G will only suck your credit if you have a 3G enabled SIM (with associated data plan).

I am on a 2G SIM (as far as I know) and it's a Voda prepaid, no data addon packs or anything. I haven't been charged for any data (yet?).

But just be careful...

Lutze
13th July 2008, 06:02 PM

wtf?

If you are on the home screen (the one with all the icons) you will not be using data. iPhone only runs one service at a time, so google maps only runs when you are using the app. Same goes for Safari etc.

However with Push data - that will change.

Reubania
13th July 2008, 06:04 PM
Yes. The iPhone has it's own crude monitoring system - in the Settings > General > Usage, under "Cellular Network Data" - that will give you an approximate of how much data you have used. You need to reset it each billing cycle.

engyuanxin
13th July 2008, 06:05 PM
iPhone: How to view or edit the APN setting (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2283?viewlocale=en_US)

u can change apn settings, just need to get ur iphone unlocked.

For optus call cust service and they will process ur unlock request within 10 days.

Huy
13th July 2008, 06:07 PM
u can change apn settings, just need to get ur iphone unlocked.

For optus call cust service and they will process ur unlock request within 10 days.

Then be raped with the $80 unlock fee ($75 from Voda) just to unlock.

standinside
13th July 2008, 06:56 PM
Hi,

So there is noway to turn it off?
When i go
General>Networks>VPN
it says not configured
if I go in then its got VPN on/off
then some config stuff pops up. So there nothing i can change to bugger the setting so it cant use cellular data?

engyuanxin
13th July 2008, 07:13 PM
its not VPN. its a special menu that appears only after your phone is unlocked.

FOR OPTUS CONTRACTS, the unlock is FREE.

chrome
13th July 2008, 07:22 PM
Please excuse the image spam. I understand not everyone sees all of this but this is what I see on my Telstra locked iPhone:

http://idisk.mac.com/chrome-Public/settings.png http://idisk.mac.com/chrome-Public/general.png http://idisk.mac.com/chrome-Public/network.png http://idisk.mac.com/chrome-Public/cellular-data.png

To disable all mobile data you'd put something else for the APN.

Huy
13th July 2008, 07:26 PM
VPN is not equal to APN. :)

And chrome, I do not see that on my screen. Vodafone locked.

See this page:
iPhone: How to view or edit the APN setting (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2283?viewlocale=en_US)

It says:

This setting is only available on authorized unlocked iPhones or with carriers that allow editing the APN.
Obviously Telstra allows editing, even when locked.
Vodafone, does not.

If you unlock, then it'll be there too.

bennyling
13th July 2008, 07:31 PM
VPN is not equal to APN. :)

And chrome, I do not see that on my screen. Vodafone locked.

See this page:

It says:

Obviously Telstra allows editing, even when locked.
Vodafone, does not.

If you unlock, then it'll be there too.

Now the big question: Does Optus allow you to see/edit this setting on a LOCKED-to-Optus iPhone?

mechcon
13th July 2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah good question, this is really a concern, so if I receive emails, and not even knowing what the attachment is, or what not then that's me getting slugged.. that's really unfair Apple :\

So if the username/setting change is the only way, then okay...

aspro
13th July 2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah good question, this is really a concern, so if I receive emails, and not even knowing what the attachment is, or what not then that's me getting slugged.. that's really unfair Apple :\

So if the username/setting change is the only way, then okay...

Well you'll only get emails sent to you if you have push enabled, or if you don't set the mail preferences to only manually check for mail.

I'm pretty confident that if you have everything set to manual and don't open your email/refresh you shouldn't get any data usage.

Also, mail doesn't download the entirety of email messages until you actually attempt to look at them. I'm not certain about downloading attachments (haven't got one yet) but I would think it would only download once you tried to open it.

drew2229au
13th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Turn on Airplane mode and it disables your phone(3g etc) as well as wifi in settings. Turn wifi back on and your good to go.

Huy
13th July 2008, 08:13 PM
No you're not ... you have no phone left. The phone is an important part of having an iPhone. ;)

We just want to stop GPRS traffic from being used, while keeping phone functions on.

drew2229au
13th July 2008, 08:22 PM
fair enough. Could use voip via the wifi. Just a thought

Jivec
13th July 2008, 08:37 PM
http://idisk.mac.com/chrome-Public/network.png

Can you use the "Data Roaming" switch to turn off data so you don't go over your limit

Huy
13th July 2008, 09:20 PM
In a word, no. Roaming (as shown above) is for the literal thing... roaming across networks.

You can't piggy back off other networks to bypass your own data charges (or limits). You still pay in the end.

standinside
13th July 2008, 09:58 PM
its not VPN. its a special menu that appears only after your phone is unlocked.

FOR OPTUS CONTRACTS, the unlock is FREE.

What does that mean? so i go to an optus store and tell them to unlock it?

then ill have that celluar network setting option?
Then i can enter penis and then ill be set?
:rolleyes:

Reubania
13th July 2008, 10:00 PM
What does that mean? so i go to an optus store and tell them to unlock it?

then ill have that celluar network setting option?
Then i can enter penis and then ill be set?
:rolleyes:

It's at their discretion. I thought there had to be a set minimal month (after 1 month?).

dolbinau
13th July 2008, 10:01 PM
It's at their discretion. I thought there had to be a set minimal month (after 1 month?).

I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the T&C. It doesn't make a difference to them as you still have to pay the contract amount each month..

cmanou
13th July 2008, 11:06 PM
anyone found a way yet with out unlocking

cmanou
14th July 2008, 09:48 AM
anyone still

engyuanxin
14th July 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the T&C. It doesn't make a difference to them as you still have to pay the contract amount each month..

u just call them up and within 10 working days you will have an unlocked set! hopefully we don't have to wait that long thou.

standinside
14th July 2008, 02:54 PM
u just call them up and within 10 working days you will have an unlocked set! hopefully we don't have to wait that long thou.

Hi, what do u mean you'll get an unlocked set?

thanks

So let me get this straight, if its unlocked then i can change the APN?

ta.

Huy
14th July 2008, 02:56 PM
Hi, what do u mean you'll get an unlocked set?

thanks

So let me get this straight, if its unlocked then i can change the APN?

ta.

Unlocked handset. ;)

And yes. Unlocked allows you to change APN.

Summary
This article explains how to view or edit the Access Point Name (APN) on iPhone for carriers that allow editing the APN.

If your iPhone's carrier allows you to edit the APN or if you have an authorized unlocked iPhone, you will see Settings > Phone > Network > Cellular Data Network as an option. The APN defines the network path for all data services. An incorrect entry in this field may disable all data services. To verify the proper APN information, please contact the carrier of the SIM card you are using.

Additional Information
This setting is only available on authorized unlocked iPhones or with carriers that allow editing the APN.

:thumbup:

Jivec
14th July 2008, 04:59 PM
If your connected to wifi you will not use any of you allocated data?

Huy
14th July 2008, 05:04 PM

If on WiFi, you do not use your mobile data, that is correct.

You will be using your home ISP/Internet quota, though.

Unless it is a free WiFi hotspot, which is another story (free depending on carrier).

bennyling
14th July 2008, 05:04 PM

Yep, if you're connected to Wi-FI, you will not use 3G or EDGE/GPRS data.

There is a heirachy for data priority, and the iPhone automatically uses it:

Wi-FI. If there is no Wi-Fi available, then the iPhone looks to
3G. If there is no 3G available, then the iPhone looks to
EDGE. If there is no EDGE available, then the iPhone looks to
GPRS. If there is no GPRS available, then the iPhone
throws up an error.

EDIT: beaten. second time today.

Huy
14th July 2008, 05:08 PM
then the iPhone
throws up an error.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3694/photoau2.jpg

Which looks like this, so you will know that it doesn't work. :)

flyboy
14th July 2008, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Just on that free wifi hotspot thing, Ive just had a try at my local Maccas to see how wifi works but unfortunately, it didnt! I turned wifi on, it found Telstra whch i selected but when i went to Safari, this blank page appeared (from memory it was something like Web hosting, domain name registration and web services by 1&1 Internet (http://www.myeverywhere.com) or something) and it wouldnt/couldnt load. Also there was no wifi symbol on the screen - the 3G symbol still showed. Can anyone tell me if i need to do something to activate it or simply get it to work???
Cheers

zen
14th July 2008, 05:36 PM
That sucks, I've been trying to figure out how to change the APN settings too since I've owned the first gen and its now no longer there on the 3G version.

Just called Optus to request for an unlock, will report back in 10 days or so once its gone through.

dolbinau
14th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Also there was no wifi symbol on the screen - the 3G symbol still showed.

There must have been troubles connecting to the network. The 3G symbol should not be showing.

bigmouth
14th July 2008, 05:54 PM
Unlocked handset. ;)

And yes. Unlocked allows you to change APN.

Additional Information

Does Optus allow the APN editing once a phone is unlocked ? I've signed up for 12 month $49 cap (250meg data) - and I revert to Wi-Fi when I'm at home so it uses my TPG, as far as I understand that.

cmanou
14th July 2008, 06:06 PM
yes thats the same as me except my wifi drops out cause everyone on my family is using it so it randomly wastes my credit

Huy
14th July 2008, 06:18 PM
Does Optus allow the APN editing once a phone is unlocked ? I've signed up for 12 month $49 cap (250meg data) - and I revert to Wi-Fi when I'm at home so it uses my TPG, as far as I understand that.

Only one way to find out.

I assume any unlocked phone, approved by Apple and under an approved carrier will let you change the APN.

So my hunch is yes, after Optus (Apple) unlocks it, it will.

bennyling
14th July 2008, 07:23 PM
Now the big question: Does Optus allow you to see/edit this setting on a LOCKED-to-Optus iPhone?

So I'll answer my own question here, because no-one else did:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/573048-post18.html

No, you can't see/edit this APN setting on a locked-Optus iPhone 3G.

jamesk5
14th July 2008, 10:13 PM
So just to clarify, changing the APN will prevent the iPhone getting data via Edge/3G, and only when connected to a Wi-Fi access point?

bennyling
15th July 2008, 04:51 PM
So just to clarify, changing the APN will prevent the iPhone getting data via Edge/3G, and only when connected to a Wi-Fi access point?

Changing the APN will prevent the iPhone from getting data from EDGE/GPRS - regardless of whether you're connected to Wi-Fi or not. 3G is another matter entirely, however, so you'll need to turn the 3G off as well to prevent data being leeched from there.

LennonNZ
17th July 2008, 08:19 PM
Ah.. but there is a way of turning off Data usage....

Go to APN Changer (http://www.unlockit.co.nz) and make up a custom APN with wrong details and then the 3G iphone will not be able to connect to the fake APN you set so no Data.

You can remove the setting by going into settings . general .. profile and removing it later. You can also email it to yourself on the iphone (the settings file) and then you can apply it any time you want to turn off data.

If this is against the rules, but the method used to change the APN on the website was released by Apple publiclly.

Huy
17th July 2008, 08:25 PM
I wish I had seen that earlier, LennonNZ.

As I have just used up around $10 worth of GPRS/3G data today.

I rang up Vodafone and told them to bar my account from Internet usage, because I didn't have a way of disabling GPRS traffic.

That is a very good link, thank you and welcome to MacTalk! :)

macaholic
17th July 2008, 08:38 PM
Ah.. but there is a way of turning off Data usage....

Go to APN Changer (http://www.unlockit.co.nz) ...

Awesome link.
Many thanks.
And yes, welcome!

LennonNZ
17th July 2008, 08:40 PM
I wish I had seen that earlier, LennonNZ.

As I have just used up around $10 worth of GPRS/3G data today.

I rang up Vodafone and told them to bar my account from Internet usage, because I didn't have a way of disabling GPRS traffic.

That is a very good link, thank you and welcome to MacTalk! :)

Thanks.. the website was only written 3 days ago and has started to get lots of hits with people with similar problem.. (no way to turn off GPRS (only 3G)) with locked APN's

Any Donations are welcome (so I can actually buy my own iPhone) :-)

macaholic
17th July 2008, 08:45 PM
Any Donations are welcome (so I can actually buy my own iPhone) :-)

Well, there's over 14,000 MacTalkers, Now lets see...

dovla
18th July 2008, 12:16 AM
And how do you apply the .cgi file once you send it vie email to the iphone ?

Since i dont see a way to save the actual file at all ?

bengrubb
18th July 2008, 12:34 AM

You go to it on your iPhone (the site) and it will ask you to install it.

It applies it straight away, once installed.

Once installed you can remove it by going into settings -> General -> profiles ->Remove.

Love it, and it works well, except, it would be great if you could disable it instead of removing it, when you do in fact need cellular data.

Edit:

I suppose you could install another profile and have your correct information in that, and just change between the two profiles... if I can find where you select a profile...

dovla
18th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks bengrubb! All done!

LennonNZ
18th July 2008, 04:00 AM

The file will be called custom.mobileconfig now (instead of custom.cgi) when you download the custom config now.

just email it to yourself and open the attachment in your email program on the mac

Thanks

nard
18th July 2008, 08:16 AM
Could those of you on Optus plans who want to disable 3G/GPRS data explain why? The data allowance on Optus plans seems to be ample. I can't understand why one wouldn't want to use it. :confused:

(In case anyone is unsure, this is a serious question. I am curious not having a go.)

macrich
18th July 2008, 08:20 AM
I would love a shortcut on the screen to disable and enable 3G only. The reason is because the coverage on 3G is so awful it drops phone calls. I have to turn 3G off just to make and receive calls.

bump321
18th July 2008, 09:07 AM
Is this APN Changer for NZ vodafone only? Anyway to apply this for Vodafone Australia?
Thanks

reemixx
18th July 2008, 11:44 AM
Could those of you on Optus plans who want to disable 3G/GPRS data explain why? The data allowance on Optus plans seems to be ample. I can't understand why one wouldn't want to use it. :confused:

(In case anyone is unsure, this is a serious question. I am curious not having a go.)

Just fear about using too much, I guess. Even though most Optus plans get a lot, there's still no reason to use it unneccessarily. Also for people who connect to shoddy WiFi connection, having it switch back to 3G/GPRS without them knowing could be potentially very expensive :P

dovla
18th July 2008, 11:48 AM
Is this APN Changer for NZ vodafone only? Anyway to apply this for Vodafone Australia?
Thanks

Works fine with Voda AU, im using it since i didnt get a data plan. I have no need to check my emails and browse the net while out.

macaholic
19th July 2008, 10:50 PM
-------

nard
20th July 2008, 12:43 AM
Just fear about using too much, I guess.
That's certainly understandable.

Even though most Optus plans get a lot, there's still no reason to use it unneccessarily.
So then, why not refrain from using it unless necessary? If you mean because of mail checking for new messages every so often then I think people are seriously overestimating how many packets are received.

Also for people who connect to shoddy WiFi connection, having it switch back to 3G/GPRS without them knowing could be potentially very expensive :P
Yet, the iPhone always indicates which connection is in use at any given time. :)

reemixx
20th July 2008, 01:39 AM
nard: I didn't say I had a problem with any of the above, just saying it could be why some people want the ability to disable it. I'm on an Optus plan, so I can just let it do its thing, and I've got into the habit of checking connection type already. But for those with very little data usage per month, I can totally understand their fear of being charged for excess data, and I think they have valid reasons for wanting to disable data altogether.

Huy
20th July 2008, 01:45 AM
Don't forget us Vodafone prepaid users... $1 for 5 minutes of GPRS or 3G data.

After killing $10, I had had enough.

nard
20th July 2008, 02:11 AM
reemixx, it's all cool. I really wasn't having a go and I'm sorry if you got that impression. I simply can't follow why anyone on Optus would be particularly worried about this. Which is not to say, Huy, that I don't appreciate why pre-paid Vodafone users would be frantic about it. ;) (You'll notice that I restricted my question to Optus users earlier.) :)

Maticks
20th July 2008, 02:59 AM
the best way i've seen on disabling the data is to set the phone to airplane mode if your concerned about data usage.
once i turn off push mail on mine all my data usage stops i even reset the data counters and checked in the next day no issues.
turning wifi on wont always work ive seen cases were it just fires data down 3G if the wifi network doesnt connect in 2 seconds.

mechcon
20th July 2008, 03:12 AM
wait, why not turn off data roaming? that turns off the data usage!!!!!! jeez guys n gals :D

Huy
20th July 2008, 03:42 AM
wait, why not turn off data roaming? that turns off the data usage!!!!!! jeez guys n gals :D

Mine was off. I was still charged and able to use data under both GPRS and 3G networks.

Explain?

the best way i've seen on disabling the data is to set the phone to airplane mode if your concerned about data usage.
once i turn off push mail on mine all my data usage stops i even reset the data counters and checked in the next day no issues.
turning wifi on wont always work ive seen cases were it just fires data down 3G if the wifi network doesnt connect in 2 seconds.

Airplane mode turns everything off, including the mobile phone (cellular) radio... arguably one of the most important parts to the iPhone. This might stop data but the phone is as good as off. People here (and this topic) is about keeping everything on, while preventing any GPRS/3G access (which costs money).

kitsune
28th July 2008, 07:07 PM
Just 'cos noone seems to have mentioned it here yet, if you have a Jailbroken iPhone you can download the BossPrefs app from Cydia, and use it to switch GPRS on and off. As of a July 27, Cydia also has patches to enable APN options for Optus or Vodafone users.

lefty22
29th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Like above comment. If you have Jailbroken your iPhone, install BossPrefs, recently added disablement of 3G. There's a few other quirky things there that you may be interested in also.

Huy
29th July 2008, 12:44 AM
Just 'cos noone seems to have mentioned it here yet, if you have a Jailbroken iPhone you can download the BossPrefs app from Cydia, and use it to switch GPRS on and off. As of a July 27, Cydia also has patches to enable APN options for Optus or Vodafone users.

It was in here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/54140-hacking-your-iphone-2-0-allow-editing-gprs-settings-without-unlockit-co-nz-3.html#post590883

But not in this actual thread - see Linux's post and it seems to be him that submitted it to BossPrefs.

kyte
29th July 2008, 05:58 AM

Theres also an option for Telstra as well, on Cydia, gives me back my logo (and will for Optus and Voda users too), and makes the EDGE settings available to edit.

lexiistardustx
7th August 2008, 05:22 PM
I feel so awful about bumping this thread.
But to disable cellular data on a 1st gen iphone, I changed the APN to dfghjrtyu or something similarly invalid.
Will this entirely disable cellular data ?

iTy
7th August 2008, 05:52 PM
I feel so awful about bumping this thread.
But to disable cellular data on a 1st gen iphone, I changed the APN to dfghjrtyu or something similarly invalid.
Will this entirely disable cellular data ?

As I understand it, if you invalidate the APN (e.g. telstra.iphart) then it will stop cellular data but leaves the voice part intact. At least this is how I manage it on Telstra