PDA

View Full Version : Warwalking

Piratbyran
12th July 2008, 05:36 PM
Just curious, but has anyone heard of any apps for the iphone for this? I mean, with assisted gps, and wifi. It seems the perfect took for warwaling.

decryption
12th July 2008, 05:38 PM
Interesting - an app to automagically mark on Google Maps where there is open wi-fi?

Sounds awesome :D

themacuser
12th July 2008, 05:41 PM
If I had an iPhone, you might end up seeing a port of KisMac to the device...

There is an existing stumbler for the jailbroken devices, but I don't think it supports GPS, or mapping, yet.

Piratbyran
12th July 2008, 05:41 PM
I just wonder if the iphone supports passive mode on its wifi drivers?

themacuser
12th July 2008, 05:43 PM
They appear to, from what I've seen, be similar to the drivers that the desktop Mac OS X uses, so this is a definite possibility. Failing that, there is active mode, or us writing new drivers. I just don't have the device to test.

dathnoth
12th July 2008, 08:24 PM
i'd like this.
question:
as optus hotspots are linked with azure. are we simple allowed to use this network or do we enter a username, pasword or something?
reason i ask is it wouldn't connect yesterday as i don't htink my number had completed porting over.

anyone know?

chrism238
14th July 2008, 11:31 AM
Just curious, but has anyone heard of any apps for the iphone for this? I mean, with assisted gps, and wifi. It seems the perfect took for warwaling.I have an application, APmapper (http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris/iphone/APmapper/), that is just about ready to be released, but there are some "restrictions":

I only currently have a 1.1.4 'Touch, but it works beautifully on that!
without access to an iPhone and v2.0 it doesn't yet have access to GPS
it doesn't interface with Google Maps, though an extension could download them, offline.

I'm holding out for the v2.0 jailbreak, and then possibly for someone to lend me an iPhone for a long enough for APmapper to support real GPS, and then I'll be releasing the application, and its source code, for all :)

decryption
14th July 2008, 11:34 AM
chrism238: how long do you need a 3G iPhone for? I can possibly arrange one to loan out for you :)

chrism238
14th July 2008, 11:42 AM
chrism238: how long do you need a 3G iPhone for? I can possibly arrange one to loan out for you :)Impressive, fast offer!
I think I'll have access to one here in Perth this week, but then I need a week's holiday before Uni starts again. But I'll definitely keep your offer in mind, thanks :thumbup:

chrome
14th July 2008, 11:51 AM
The cheap and cheerful way to do this is to go into the wifi networks menu and it will update every few seconds with networks in range. Touch one that is unlocked and try your luck! :)

titan44
14th July 2008, 11:52 AM
injection????

Cybix
14th July 2008, 11:53 AM
i'd like this.
question:
as optus hotspots are linked with azure. are we simple allowed to use this network or do we enter a username, pasword or something?
reason i ask is it wouldn't connect yesterday as i don't htink my number had completed porting over.

anyone know?

there's a thread on this. just stumble the hotspot, join, then surf to a random web site, it will re-direct to their portal, register a new account from the portal (there's iphone instructions apparently), go through the registration process, and then your in like flynn

Huy
14th July 2008, 11:53 AM
The cheap and cheerful way to do this is to go into the wifi networks menu and it will update every few seconds with networks in range. Touch one that is unlocked and try your luck! :)

Then rinse and repeat every 5m or whatever walking pace you're at.

chrism238
14th July 2008, 11:57 AM
injection????Very unsupported by the iPhone's Marvell WiFi drivers. Some have written new drivers, but only on FW1.1.1 can you replace the iPhone kexts.
It's a lost cause, seemingly ignored (deliberately) on v2.0 too.