PDA

View Full Version : Apple Touchscreens

Mac_Switcher
13th April 2005, 01:48 PM
Are there any Australian companies like Troll Touch touchscreens? ( http://trolltouch.com/ ) Or, even better, Apple should offer it as a built-to-order option. They would be great aids for Photoshop, CAD programs (e.g. VectorWorks, ArchiCAD, etc), games or even just writing.

Using a touchscreen a lot would be like writing on a white board, and your arm might hurt after using it for a few hours. Unless the touchscreen was lying flat on your desk. This would be so cool!!

Wacom's Cintiq 21UX Interactive Pen Display could do this but who wants to pay $4295 for it when it's more expensive than most Macs?

A touchscreen iPod would be cool. If it was a colour screen that covered the front of the iPod (all of it, so it would look like a PDA) it could be turned sideways (widescreen) to watch video! (With way better hardware under the hood of course)

Rayd
13th April 2005, 02:04 PM
why not just get a HUGE wacom tablet? :)

cmetom
13th April 2005, 02:06 PM
that is why it is so fun to use a Newton (or any other PDA i guess..)!

i definitely want to see touchscreen options on screens in the future.. the near future, preferably!

geektechnu
13th April 2005, 02:18 PM
Apple definitely need to release a tablet-pc.
I'm sure they could do it better than PC laptop manufacturers.

Phillip
13th April 2005, 02:25 PM
There has to be a killer app for these touch screens. You may want it now, but are you guys willing to pay say $3999 for a Tablet PC from Apple and all it was was an Powerbook with a touchscreen? I wouldn't. And no, taking notes and writing stuff down isn't all that great.

cmetom
13th April 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Apr 13 2005, 03:04 PM
why not just get a HUGE wacom tablet? :)
cause it's nice to point at what you're looking at, you know? rather than pointing at a board and looking at a screen...

geektechnu
13th April 2005, 02:51 PM
Phillip, you are so totally right. I don't know what I was thinking :blink:

I had a good think and realised that there isn't anything that I'd do with a touchscreen - and a touchscreen only. I went through Mac_Switchers suggestions:

Photoshop: No pressure sensitivity, fingers are too big and inaccurate.
CAD: Definitely not accurate enough.
Games: Very limited control (Virtually 1 button on a 2-axis plane)
Writing: Typing is faster - computers suck at interpretting different handwriting.

That's probably why touchscreen interfaces all use huge buttons - they have to be easy to hit, because fingers are bigger than mouse cursors.

jerrah
13th April 2005, 03:01 PM
They're effective for basic data entry and for devices which are too small to have an effective keyboard (i.e. Palms etc), but I'd prefer a keyboard for really using a computer.

Couriers seem to be using palmOS based Symbols recently. They have a barcode scanner in them (for scanning the package) and the receiver can sign for the package on the handheld. Must save paperwork because the signature then is stored in the system when the unit is returned to base. But then, basic touchscreen computer for basic use. I wouldn't write a novel on one.

noisypoppy
13th April 2005, 03:15 PM
My Mac Australia do the troll touch thing, here are their details:

salespro@mymacaustralia.com.au
My Mac Australia 192 Flinders St Melbourne
03 9663 9444

Phillip
13th April 2005, 03:47 PM
There are alot of things at touch screens or tablets arn't go for but one thing thats already working is at the checkouts at the supermarket. Or when borrowing books at the library. Maybe on a mobile. I guess what I am saying is that they are usful where keyboards are not appropriate.

Mac_Switcher
3rd May 2006, 01:51 AM
I think it would be best if it was a slate style tablet that had a keyboard slide out from the front of the tablet (where the sleep light and display latch release is).

No palm rests though :( but still better than no keyboard at all

I don't use photshop, CAD, etc *ever*, I was just throwing ideas up in the air.

I should buy a used ibook and make it into a tablet with a slide out keyboard! Yippee!

Man this is an old post!

Edit: Just a thought, what if I pulled the display out of an existing tablet PC and put it in a Mac? Provided I worked out power, video signal and USB connection (for the digitiser). Would it work?

Victim: http://www.lifebook.com.au/?pageID=Model&id=27

jerrah
3rd May 2006, 08:23 AM
I think you'll find it'd be a bit more involved than that.

I remember a year ago someone DID post a hackjob tablet mac, where a guy converted his ibook. I'd start there if you're serious.

gizo
3rd May 2006, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jerrah &#064; May 3 2006, 08&#58;23 AM) 168671</div>

I think you&#39;ll find it&#39;d be a bit more involved than that.

I remember a year ago someone DID post a hackjob tablet mac, where a guy converted his ibook. I&#39;d start there if you&#39;re serious.
[/b]

Yeah. He had it up on eBay recently....

As for novel writing - It&#39;d be moreuseful to use something like <blatant plug>Jer&#39;s Novel Writer (http://jerssoftwarehut.com/)</blatant plug>..... and a dictaphone...... and voice-recognition software........

... and some talent.....

hawker
3rd May 2006, 09:13 AM
I swear I&#39;ve seend a touch screen iMac G4 15" - I am just trying to remember where I saw it :(

Mac_Switcher
3rd May 2006, 09:31 AM
The iMAc G4 was probably sent to Troll Touch in the US or done through My Mac Australia

On-Site-Tec
3rd May 2006, 10:16 AM
Yep thats exactly what I found with a quick google. Probably wouldnt be possible with a MacBook etc. though.

Currawong
3rd May 2006, 10:42 AM
I don&#39;t remember the name, but I saw a company selling touch-screen upgraded Macs at a Macworld in Sydney at least once, so one must exist.