PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wireless on PB

diomedes
13th April 2005, 12:12 PM
I have a 15" PB with Airport Extreme, this is great for in the office. I also connect to a larger wireless mesh and for this I use a pcmcia card with an external antenna connector.

I can use this card in Kismac to scan and find networks etc fine. However the card doesn't appear in the Network Utility or in the Network section of System preferences.

Does anyone have any idea how I can use this card to actually connect to networks and use it to route traffic?

Apples idea was to remove the airport extreme card, but i refuse to believe that is the answer.

Matt

LCGuy
13th April 2005, 12:22 PM
Don't quote me on this, but i think that you can only have one 802.11b or g card in at a time, meaning either your AirPort card, or your PCMCIA card, not both. :(

diomedes
13th April 2005, 12:31 PM
If that is the case it is very very very crappy.. and I consider it a delierbate nerf, what possible reason could they have for doing that?

Since the OS is obviously able to handle it being BSD, and the fact Kismac can use the second card no worries.

crap crap crap..

JimWOz
13th April 2005, 08:37 PM
I think Kismac uses its own driver for the PCMCIA card.
Do you have an OS X driver for the card ?
If not suggest you try IOExperts, or the sourceforge wireless drivers to see if either of their OSX drivers support your card. Sourceforge driver is freeware, but at my last check hadn't been updated since OS 10.1 came out. IOExperts was 20US, but runs for 30 mins unregistered.

I think the PC card with an OSX compatible driver whould show up in network preferences as a new interface En1 - or En2 if you have an airport card installed as well as the en0 hard wired ethernet port. You should be able to switch between the interfaces at will.

hope this is of some help.