PDA

View Full Version : garageband install CDs

Jimbo
11th July 2008, 06:51 PM
Hey guys, I've been given a baby white lampshade g4 imac, and I was hopinng to install the garageband from ilife 04 i have kicking around...

But alas, it has not got a dvd drive (which is weird) and i CBF getting one, so, as a fix, how would i go about making install CDs from my Iife 04 dvd?

I realise i could just FW target the drive, but it's at my mum's house, and i don't wanna take my computer over there and do it, or vice-versa...

any ideas?

purana
11th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Create DMG image of the DVD, then copy to a suitable sized external drive or USB stick. Then copy onto said machine, click DMG file. Then install from the loopback mounted DMG.

Jimbo
11th July 2008, 06:56 PM
hmm, a good idea! thanks!

Jimbo
11th July 2008, 08:32 PM
damnit, don't have a usb stick big enough, can i span the dmg over a few cds?

Brains
11th July 2008, 09:13 PM
That is odd, because even the very first iMac G4 had a combo drive, vis, it can read/write CDRs and read DVDs. Someone's done a bodgy and slapped a CD drive in there ... what does the System Profiler have to say for itself?

What you can try (seeing you have another Mac or three around) is to put one of your newer DVD-bearing machines into Target Mode and dock it to the G4 with a FireWire cable. The newer machine should let you make both its hard drive and optical drive available to the iMac G4 that way.

denwol
11th July 2008, 09:17 PM
Not sure if it will work, but can you show contents and just copy the garageband package?

milliedog
11th July 2008, 09:28 PM
That is odd, because even the very first iMac G4 had a combo drive, vis, it can read/write CDRs and read DVDs. Someone's done a bodgy and slapped a CD drive in there ...

Not all came with a combo drive. My 700Mhz model had a Sony CD-RW :)

Jimbo
13th July 2008, 01:33 PM
its an ex school imac, so i'm guessing it was the cheapest of the cheap, and would've been downgraded to save a few bucks.