PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Remote

bdude
11th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Apple - iTunes - Remote (http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/)

Has anyone downloaded/used it? It looks pretty good.

I'm just excited that my favourite album was on the Apple page for it :)

Piratbyran
11th July 2008, 03:58 PM
People on irc are saying its hard to get working. Not sure.

beanolo
11th July 2008, 04:02 PM
Uhh.. you just run the app.. and it gives you a 4 digit pin to enter on the library you want it to control.

That's it. Very cool. :)

dolbinau
11th July 2008, 04:03 PM
It's very easy and works very well on my end.

craigd
11th July 2008, 04:04 PM
works great

Al Aero
11th July 2008, 04:05 PM
Best remote i have ever used..

so simple, yet its locked to a 24 month plan.

a.

drewbles
11th July 2008, 04:06 PM
It's the thing i've been wanting the most since I got an airport express. It's fantastic. Easy to use and streams album art to your handset too. Probably the best app i've ever used on my iphones:)

something2sea
11th July 2008, 04:07 PM
It's sitting in my iTunes waiting to get synced over to the iPod Touch when Apple allows me to :(

Although I cannot wait to put it through it's paces.

purana
11th July 2008, 04:10 PM
This app looks great. I swear it makes having an iPhone or iPod touch very useful.

danno74
11th July 2008, 04:12 PM
Shit, I cannot get the fucking apps to sync to my iPhone 3G. GRRRRR!!!!

chookcooker
12th July 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi all, new to mac.
Love this app, will be a show off point, however Im trying to connect itunes to my home theatre, looking at 3 options
1: Mini Mac as media centre
2: Apple Tv
3: Only for music, getting Airport express

Anyone here used the Iphone remote with Airport express, and is it fairly functional? A big requirement is the ability to adjust volume from the phone, however I think Express connects via Optical cable, and from memory, the volume cant be controlled (only from the amp)
Or if I want all that do I need to fork out the extra $$$ for Apple TV?
Thanks

Bastard Sheep
12th July 2008, 04:37 PM
People on irc are saying its hard to get working. Not sure.

Just helped someone in IRC hook it up. If anyone has troubles go to System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall and make sure your firewall isn't set to "Allow only essential services", that blocks the connection attempts. If you change that option to "Set access for specific services and applications" remote will work and you'll still have pretty decent firewall security in place.

For those wondering, on my machine it's used ports 50,014-50,040 so far, I don't know what the full official range of ports it uses are.

TheWatchman
12th July 2008, 04:55 PM
This app is friggin amazing, set it up a few hours ago.

spargo
12th July 2008, 04:57 PM
Oh man, that's awesome.. and compared to the old days of Salling Clicker etc via bluetooth, it's almost a deal breaker for me to buy one. Do I/Don't I... . . .

adamd
12th July 2008, 05:03 PM
Much better than "zTunes".

Looks like I might keep building addons for when I use it on a PC/Mac in the network.

W9cae
12th July 2008, 05:04 PM
Best remote i have ever used..

so simple, yet its locked to a 24 month plan.

a.

Your close the comment I read by another guy.

Damm incredible remote, seeing I have AirTunes & Apple TV this app really shines. Who would have ever guessed the iPhone is also the world best remote. I love this app.

And running AirTunes trough the house one can play some good games on folks. :eek:

decryption
12th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Very cool - I wish I had an AirPort Express to hook up to a little G4 Mac Mini to act as a jukebox!

Dust For Eyes
12th July 2008, 05:49 PM
Being able to use the iPhone/Touch as a wireless/remote keyboard would be kinda cool. Someone like to build that app?

reemixx
12th July 2008, 06:01 PM
I've had a bit of a play around with it on my iPod Touch. It's pretty awesome. And even more awesome 'cause it's free. How can you go wrong?

One thing I wish it did was give access to available shared libraries on the Mac it's connected to. I often share my MacBook iTunes library with my iMac because it's connected to better speakers/headphones. Remote can't access the playlists and songs from the shared library on the MacBook, though you can switch through tracks (back/forward) if you already started playing them from the Mac rather than the iPhone/iPod Touch.

But that's asking a bit much from a free app, isn't it? :P It wasn't a complaint in any way, shape or form. Awesome app, all in all. Simple and it works.

tcn33
12th July 2008, 06:05 PM
It's the thing i've been wanting the most since I got an airport express. It's fantastic. Easy to use and streams album art to your handset too. Probably the best app i've ever used on my iphones:)
Seconded. It's so good it's actually replaced a whole Mac that I used for controlling AirTunes.

dathnoth
12th July 2008, 08:21 PM
i love remote

Reubania
12th July 2008, 08:26 PM
Been using this ever since yesterday....my AirPort Express loves it!!! He he...and I went over my mate's house, and he couldn't wait to get his hands on my iPhone.....JUST to configure his Apple TV and use it as a remote! And it worked fine! It is such a gloried remote! But it does the job well...

iPhone = phone, ipod, internet browser, now remote! :thumbup:

younge
12th July 2008, 09:23 PM
I can't figure how to use it with my AppleTV.

How do I get the AppleTV to actually "connect" to my iPod Touch?

MrJesseRoss
12th July 2008, 09:24 PM
What a handy little app.

I thought there was an error somewhere at first, because it wasn't sending anything about a passcode through to the Mac.

And then I realised that I hadn't turned the damn thing's wifi on. Whoops.

Piratbyran
12th July 2008, 09:24 PM
You don't.

bullrout
13th July 2008, 08:55 AM
What a handy little app.

I thought there was an error somewhere at first, because it wasn't sending anything about a passcode through to the Mac.

And then I realised that I hadn't turned the damn thing's wifi on. Whoops.

Ha! I did the same thing. I couldn't find Devices in iTunes.

Phase
13th July 2008, 09:13 AM
This is such an awesome little feature.

I love that I can shuffle through my whole playlist and have it playing around the house.

Might have to look into Airfoil now.

cbo100
13th July 2008, 10:44 AM
I'm just going to add a +1 to the "It's awesome" camp.

And to answer a previous question, you can control the airtunes (airport express) volume from the phone. You can also turn individual expresses (and the computer speakers) on and off from the phone too.

Domenic
13th July 2008, 10:47 AM
It's a fantastic app... and it even works on Windows! I wasn't expecting that...

lenman74
13th July 2008, 10:53 AM
I can't figure how to use it with my AppleTV.

How do I get the AppleTV to actually "connect" to my iPod Touch?

i think you need to download the latest appletv software. then choose remotes in settings.

- - e r i k - -
13th July 2008, 12:28 PM
Seriously I would pay for this app. (I did for Salling Clicker eight years ago).

CoverFlow is curiously absent though. Hopefully there'll be an update.

Reubania
13th July 2008, 12:34 PM
Seriously I would pay for this app. (I did for Salling Clicker eight years ago).

CoverFlow is curiously absent though. Hopefully there'll be an update.

Yes, I've noticed that. And not quite happy. I love Cover Flow - makes searching easier, and a good way to show off to your friends :thumbup:

Dakah3
13th July 2008, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE= I love Cover Flow - makes searching easier, and a good way to show off to your friends :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

On a slightly different note saw a mock up the other day of cover flow for your contacts, looked really cool if you had photos attached to all your contacts.

Mark T
13th July 2008, 12:51 PM
another +1 for this free app.

What I really like about my iPhone remote and the TV is that you can now quickly scroll to find (for example) "Zadok the Priest" without having to scroll through every other song from A to Z first. With thousands and thousands of songs, previously this took so long that I just couldn't have been bothered.

matthewk
13th July 2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, I've noticed that. And not quite happy. I love Cover Flow - makes searching easier, and a good way to show off to your friends :thumbup:

Found out yesterday embarrassing songs standout much more in cover art.

beer.coffee
13th July 2008, 06:19 PM
So let me get this straight...

I have a 8Gb iPod Touch. I keep it in my pocket around the house and when I feel like changing a song I browse through my 50Gig library right there on the iPod??

cjm19
13th July 2008, 06:31 PM
I love this too but I thought it would be more fully featured like Remote Buddy - now I just need to pay for that so I can play eye tv recordings too

Reubania
13th July 2008, 06:37 PM
Found out yesterday embarrassing songs standout much more in cover art.

Um, that's why I am selective with which albums I put on my 8GB iPhone! ;)

So let me get this straight...

I have a 8Gb iPod Touch. I keep it in my pocket around the house and when I feel like changing a song I browse through my 50Gig library right there on the iPod??

Yes! That's correct! You can change everything with your Touch, and have it played through your speakers (through AirPort Express/Extreme Base Station or through AppleTV). It's seriously the best thing! :thumbup:

beer.coffee
13th July 2008, 06:40 PM
If I don't have AirPort Express/Extreme Base Station or an AppleTV then I won't be able to use it? :(

The Fluffy Duck
13th July 2008, 06:41 PM
I couldnt ask for anything better with this app. It works as advertised and is flawlessly easy to use. Infact I used it last night to show off, as we needed speakers near the pool I plugged in an airport express and contoroeld them on my iphone :) very cool

EmJay
13th July 2008, 06:41 PM
Couldn't get mine working before...it asked for the PIN but the iPhone couldn't find the library.

Later on I might try the few firewall tweaks mentioned earlier.

Reubania
13th July 2008, 06:46 PM
If I don't have AirPort Express/Extreme Base Station or an AppleTV then I won't be able to use it? :(

Ahh...I think you will only be able to control the music to be played on your laptop. Thats all.

AirPort Express/Extreme and AppleTV are just for external speakers/TV. That's all. It's really what it's for. But the Remote will control what sort of music you want played on your computer if you don't have those other products.

beer.coffee
13th July 2008, 06:48 PM
Ahh...I think you will only be able to control the music to be played on your laptop. Thats all.

That's actually all I want. Guess it's time to upgrade to 2.0 then eh?

troyn
14th July 2008, 12:29 PM
When will airtunes have the option to "Group compilations when browsing"?

macrich
14th July 2008, 04:47 PM
It's only missing one feature with the AppleTV. I don't sync stuff to my AppleTV, too much video and audio. I stream all my data across, the Remote doesn't pick this streamed stuff up, only synced stuff. If it had this feature, it would be perfect.

troyn
14th July 2008, 05:17 PM
It's only missing one feature with the AppleTV. I don't sync stuff to my AppleTV, too much video and audio. I stream all my data across, the Remote doesn't pick this streamed stuff up, only synced stuff. If it had this feature, it would be perfect.

I do the same thing with my Apple TV. so instead i uses the remote app with the computer as the library and the applt tv as the remote speakers

lowlux
16th July 2008, 02:07 PM
i have the remote on my iphone but can't find where in i tunes to enter the number

macrich
16th July 2008, 02:13 PM
I do the same thing with my Apple TV. so instead i uses the remote app with the computer as the library and the applt tv as the remote speakers

Only does it with the audio though, no video :(

drewbles
16th July 2008, 02:16 PM
Am I the only one having issues with this App? The first time I fired it up it worked brilliantly. Up came the iPhone on iTunes, entered the pin and voila. worked perfectly. browsed/flicked/stopped/started music etc and album art streamed perfectly. The next day, it could no longer connect to my machine. I removed the 'pairing' and re-added it. It worked briefly (10 minutes or so) then the same issue. I tried to delete and re-add and this time it wont even connect. It asks for the code on the iTunes screen, I enter it and the remote App never gets any further.

I have no firewalling on either. Anyone else seen this? If I can get it stable i'll be a happy camper that's for sure!

MrJesseRoss
16th July 2008, 05:30 PM
i have the remote on my iphone but can't find where in i tunes to enter the number

When it displays the number on the iPhone's screen, an icon for the remote should appear under the Devices menu in the iTunes sidebar. Click on that.

booter
16th July 2008, 09:52 PM
this app is awesome - waiting for coverflow, and can you control frontrow with this. i would really like to be able to control front row, i think that would make this app perfect.

Reubania
16th July 2008, 11:36 PM

Well, I used it on my mate's AppleTV. First I paired with his Library through wifi, and then I browsed through his music videos and I could play it on his 50" plasma screen. So yes, it does play video.

this app is awesome - waiting for coverflow, and can you control frontrow with this. i would really like to be able to control front row, i think that would make this app perfect.

Do many people use Front Row? It's got a lot of potential, but a bit too basic. Maybe it needs a good vamping up! :thumbup:

- - e r i k - -
17th July 2008, 11:15 AM
Front Row is a mess in Leopard. I wish they overhauled it sooner rather than later :/

TorranceTM
17th July 2008, 11:35 AM
Am I the only one having issues with this App? The first time I fired it up it worked brilliantly. Up came the iPhone on iTunes, entered the pin and voila. worked perfectly. browsed/flicked/stopped/started music etc and album art streamed perfectly. The next day, it could no longer connect to my machine. I removed the 'pairing' and re-added it. It worked briefly (10 minutes or so) then the same issue. I tried to delete and re-add and this time it wont even connect. It asks for the code on the iTunes screen, I enter it and the remote App never gets any further.

I have no firewalling on either. Anyone else seen this? If I can get it stable i'll be a happy camper that's for sure!

Exact same here - worked perfectly day 1 - now it can't find the iTunes library - re-did the pairing, iTunes accepts the number no problem and the Touch sees it has been accepted - but then proceeds to not be able to find the library.

No changes on Mac - so I assume it is an app I have installed on the Touch after it initially worked that has now broken it?

EDIT:
Reset Touch & re-paired Touch with iTunes - No change
Restarted Mac & re-paired Touch with iTunes - No change
Restarted Wireless Router & re-paired Touch with iTunes - Started working again?

troyn
17th July 2008, 10:42 PM

Yeah you are right it won't do video, as airtunes isnt setup for video.
Cant wait for airtunes to support video and for the apple express to have HDMI out.

Well, I used it on my mate's AppleTV. First I paired with his Library through wifi, and then I browsed through his music videos and I could play it on his 50" plasma screen. So yes, it does play video.

The remote will play video stored on the apple TV but wont play video stored a remote computer.

Dust For Eyes
21st July 2008, 09:50 AM
Noone's seemed to have mentioned that the remote has a keyboard (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/tip_iphone_remote_is_a_wifi_keyboard_for_apple_tv_ prevents_aneurysms-2.html) for apple TV?

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/07/remote-type.png

drewbles
21st July 2008, 10:00 AM
Noone's seemed to have mentioned that the remote has a keyboard (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/tip_iphone_remote_is_a_wifi_keyboard_for_apple_tv_ prevents_aneurysms-2.html) for apple TV?

< sarcasm >Someone in AU *has* an appleTV? < /sarcasm >

:D

GeoffP
25th July 2008, 08:37 AM
One problem I have is the following:

From my iPhone using Remote app I can select any album/artist/etc, etc - after the song I have selected has finished playing, the next song is not automatically selected and played, it just drops back to the menu I was in prior to playing the selected song. I then have to manually select the next song in the album/playlist, etc.

Using iTunes on my mac, next song in the list is automatically selected and played.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

GeoffP
26th July 2008, 03:34 AM
bumpyy

adamjc
26th July 2008, 03:10 PM
Has anyone managed to get it working with the AppleTV?

I can find it on the AppleTV, I enter the passcode but then the AppleTV does not appear on the iPhone. Any fixes to this?

Thanks.

***Edit*** - all working well now, just a reboot of the iPhone and I can control the AppleTV from the iPhone! Awesome!

mister lee
27th July 2008, 10:19 AM
Restarted Wireless Router & re-paired Touch with iTunes - Started working again?

I used to have the same problem with a billion router connected to an AE and iPhone. The latest firmware seems to have fixed this, but I used to just turn wifi off and on again to get the AE and phone back up and running.

Tragedies
27th July 2008, 12:09 PM
Do you guys think Apple will allow Front Row support in a future update? I sitll have to use my old Mac remote, because that supports Front Row.

Reubania
27th July 2008, 12:12 PM
Do you guys think Apple will allow Front Row support in a future update? I sitll have to use my old Mac remote, because that supports Front Row.

Who uses Front Row nowadays?? lol. I find this appallingly useless (as its rather limited). AppleTV seems to do a better kind of Front Row than what's on the Macs.

evmorg
27th July 2008, 12:53 PM
Who uses Front Row nowadays?? lol. I find this appallingly useless (as its rather limited). AppleTV seems to do a better kind of Front Row than what's on the Macs.

Actually, I do. Seeing as I don't have an AppleTV, I find Front Row great when I plug in my MacBook into the TV to watch podcasts, movies and TV shows I've downloaded from iTunes. And in what way is Front Row more limited than AppleTV for viewing?

Not sure if I'd use the remote app over the supplied remote, but still, could be nice.

- - e r i k - -
28th July 2008, 09:06 AM
I use FrontRow because I don't even own a TV. My 24" iMac is well enough for my apartment. And it's HDTV too :P

In any case FrontRow is pretty much the only option for playing movies and series from my Movies folder. Oh how I wish iTunes would accept ANY file QuickTime can open, even if they're AVIs or MKVs :/

And as everyone knows FR is severely crippled in Leopard.

I WISH they would FTFFR - Fix The Fucking FrontRow.

titan44
28th July 2008, 09:21 AM

I had the same problem, after many days of frigging with the same problem i found a fix (well works for me)

I had mine set as a purely streaming, after doing a full factory reset, upgrading the s/w, then set up for syncing but in iTunes, unclicked movies/TV Shows/Pocdcasts e.t.c so while it's not synced, it still pulls from the iTunes library.

Works like a charm with Remote now.

MacFanBoy
28th July 2008, 01:12 PM
Actually, I do. Seeing as I don't have an AppleTV, I find Front Row great when I plug in my MacBook into the TV to watch podcasts, movies and TV shows I've downloaded from iTunes. And in what way is Front Row more limited than AppleTV for viewing?

Not sure if I'd use the remote app over the supplied remote, but still, could be nice.

SIMPLE !!! IN ONE MINUTE !!
works with all files (except .bin & .cue) Just change the "File type/Creator" of your file and that's it !! Don't spare time on movie conversion or losing drive space for containers....

With a simple utility app like “FILE BUDDY. Only change:
FILE TYPE, FOR: MooV
CREATOR, FOR: TVOD

This won't affect your file and iTunes will accept them like magic...

Reubania
12th August 2008, 05:38 PM
I used to have the same problem with a billion router connected to an AE and iPhone. The latest firmware seems to have fixed this, but I used to just turn wifi off and on again to get the AE and phone back up and running.

Thank you. My Remote app stopped working last night (could not find my library). Just switched to Airplane mode for a few seconds and then back again. Now it's working. Cheers. :thumbup: