PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2g + 2.0 firmware

cemil
11th July 2008, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know if the new 2.0 firmware on a previously unlocked iPhone will simply work?

Given that the 2.0 *can* be unlocked - does it come unlocked by default?

How does this work?

Can I just upgrade to 2.0 and use it on voda/optus?

-Cemil

jetsetkiwi
11th July 2008, 01:45 PM
No, wait for it to be unlocked- It has already, just waiting for the pwning package to be released. DO NOT try and install it yet. :)

cemil
11th July 2008, 01:46 PM
No, wait for it to be unlocked- It has already, just waiting for the pwning package to be released. DO NOT try and install it yet. :)

I saw that - and I've always wondered about that actually... What would it lock to by default? AT&T?

Why wouldn't it be locked to any one of the carriers?

morgs
11th July 2008, 02:38 PM
I am waiting with baited breathe for the unlock. Will take the plunge as soon as. Who is that guy that does the unlocking tutorials for MacTalk. I hope he has already started planning. Love his work.

lefty22
11th July 2008, 02:38 PM
Look, either way don't do it.

I've had hell to pay for it today, and only in the past hour have i finally gotten back to 1.1.4. It also seems now that iTunes 7.7 has had a "taste" of your iPhone it no longer lets me sync with it, just a new prompt that says:

"This iPhone has already been activated" etc.. etc..

This is a new issue i suppose as originally when iTunes 7.7 came out, this did not occur at all with my iPhone on 1.1.4 it worked fine. Now on 1.1.4 i get that message if i attempt to use iTunes 7.7. I'll be formatting my computer soon so i'd be interested to see if that would clear it up or if the phone itself is to blame! ha.

I've had to downgrade back to 7.6 which seems to be working along with 1.1.4.

Definitely wait til pwnage 1.2 or whatnot comes out. I've heard its also rather unstable in some regard and may not be the official release (the 2.0 firmware your talking about).

Lutze
11th July 2008, 02:40 PM
I saw that - and I've always wondered about that actually... What would it lock to by default? AT&T?

Why wouldn't it be locked to any one of the carriers?

V1 iPhones were only available to a limited no. of providers. Not 1 Australian carrier ever had it.

iTunes is where it's all activated / dealt with - and if it recognises a v1 iPhone with a non-carrier sim then it locks it down. So instead of an iPhone you have an iBrick.

Lutze
11th July 2008, 02:42 PM
I am waiting with baited breathe for the unlock. Will take the plunge as soon as. Who is that guy that does the unlocking tutorials for MacTalk. I hope he has already started planning. Love his work.

That would be W3cae - from his recent posts I'd say that he's actively looking at this... but I would not hold my breath.

chuck
11th July 2008, 02:44 PM
I just had crack and it got messy... luckily able to fully restore back to 1.1.4.

johnq
11th July 2008, 06:38 PM
V1 iPhones were only available to a limited no. of providers. Not 1 Australian carrier ever had it.

iTunes is where it's all activated / dealt with - and if it recognises a v1 iPhone with a non-carrier sim then it locks it down. So instead of an iPhone you have an iBrick.

This is only an issue if you upgrade using iTunes to Firmware version 2.0.

I have 1 .1.4 iPhone with iTunes 7.7. My iPhone has been pwned. It works fine with iTunes 7.7. The problems occur with the 2.0 firmware that is floating around the web. There is some suggestion that this is a 3G iPhone version that is quite buggy on a 2G phone. Who knows at this point.

I would suggest waiting until the Pwnage folk release their magic potion (or iLiberty release theirs) for the official release firmware for a 2G phone. A little patience is all that will be required.

richbowen
11th July 2008, 07:45 PM
I've had no problems with my 1.1.3 iPhone (ZiPhone) and iTunes 7.7

Been able to sync this morning and again tonight.

Lutze
11th July 2008, 07:49 PM
This is only an issue if you upgrade using iTunes to Firmware version 2.0.

I have 1 .1.4 iPhone with iTunes 7.7. My iPhone has been pwned. It works fine with iTunes 7.7. The problems occur with the 2.0 firmware that is floating around the web. There is some suggestion that this is a 3G iPhone version that is quite buggy on a 2G phone. Who knows at this point.

I would suggest waiting until the Pwnage folk release their magic potion (or iLiberty release theirs) for the official release firmware for a 2G phone. A little patience is all that will be required.

Sorry, I probably did not make it clear that I was referring only to V2 firmware and iTunes 7.7. As long as you don't upgrade your iPhone ClassicŪ ;) they play very well together.