PDA

View Full Version : 'ALL' Nvidia G84&G8600M are Faulty

lazydesi
11th July 2008, 09:24 AM
Electronista | Report: all NVIDIA G84 and G86 chips are faulty (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/07/09/nvidia.g84.g86.faulty/)

Despite NVIDIA's claims, the Inquirer reports all, not just a select batch, of the company's G84 and G86 chipsets used in GeForce 8400M and 8600M graphics cards are suffering from heat-related failures due to an unidentified substrate or bumping material used to help make the video hardware. They all share the same application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC), which is the source of the problems, in both notebook and desktop PCs. The chips have been failing since last year, and earlier this month, NVIDIA said the problems will drop the value of its shares to the tune of 25 percent, and is budgeting $200 million for repairs.

stewiesno1
11th July 2008, 09:47 AM
Ooer, thats a costly recall. Reminds me of the battery fiasco a while back. Why they didn't pick this up in their quality testing is beyond me. And I particularly like the part further on in that article where they say they have a "fix" by making the laptop fans stay on all the time. Good grief.

Stewie

Piratbyran
11th July 2008, 09:49 AM
Cool. I smell a new macbook pro in the works.

The fans run constantly, what are they talking about?

Alec Fraser
11th July 2008, 09:51 AM
That's the fix for Nvidia cards in PC's. Once you upgrade to newer NVidia drivers, your fans start to run constantly...I've noticed a bunch of video flakiness on my XPS. If there's a recall I'll be sending it straight back!

HDK
11th July 2008, 10:14 AM
Could this be the cause of the issues I've been having with overheating related to rendering (CPU 104˚C) on my MBP with 8600M GT ?

Edit: after taking into shop and having thermal past reapplied, according to Apple Oz, if the machine doesn't slow down or shut itself off then everything is ok, as idle temps and a thorough flogging produced normal results. In fact mine performed surprisingly well, though I would be better suited to working with a MacPro rather than a MBP for my work as laptops do get hotter in general.

morn
11th July 2008, 12:34 PM
More likely bad application of thermal grease.
This worrying though because the MBP keeps the GPU at around 60C even at idle.

I haven't heard of any reports of excessive failure rates in Macbook Pro's.

Piratbyran
11th July 2008, 12:58 PM
Mine is at almost 63 right now. Its 18 in here. Its idle.

jonnos
11th July 2008, 01:06 PM
mines at 49?

Alec Fraser
11th July 2008, 01:13 PM
I think it's been more noticeable in PCs not Macs...otherwise we would've heard about excess failures in MBPs.

santapj
11th July 2008, 05:27 PM
I haven't heard of any reports of excessive failure rates in Macbook Pro's.

Neither have I. Mine's hanging at 46˚ after having been on for the last couple of hours. Never really seen it rise much higher than 70˚ but that's when the CPU's going nuts on a video encode. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if there is a recall.

Modular_
12th July 2008, 06:39 AM
When i play warcraft 3 in windows, i get random blue screen crashes. The errors come up to fast to read, but just how random and instant the crashes are i assumed they were to do with overheating of the vid card. Now i read this -_-

What happens now ?

jcmurty
12th July 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm in the process of negotiating with my repair centre to have my 3rd Macbook Pro motherboard installed in this unit due to GPU failure.

The problem with the card is most noticeable when playing full screen 3d games in bootcamp - eg. Team Fortress, Half Life.

The initial symptom is a massive drop in frame rate performance within the game from 80-90 fps down to around 10-15 fps. My first motherboard failed completely a week or two after the initial symptoms appear with it providing no video at all.

I'm at that point now - basically I can't play games on it because of the crappy performance and I fear to do anything to push the GPU like work in Motion of Final Cut Pro in case it blows out all video and leaves me with an expensive paperweight.

My repair centre says that they're not aware of this issue and haven't seen large numbers of Macbook Pros coming in for repair with similar complaints, and a second level Apple hardware Engineer (in Australia) tried to convince me it was a software fault.

I don't think there's going to be a fix for this problem anytime soon.

wickee
13th July 2008, 01:13 AM
I noticed the display giving me artifacts when I use iPhoto and start post processing with sharpness on full screen.

iPirate
13th July 2008, 01:46 AM
Enclosure Bottom temp: 27 degrees
CPU A: 43
GPU Diode: 47
GPU Heatsink: 41

Should I worry? I have a 8600M GT...

lazydesi
13th July 2008, 10:01 AM
Enclosure Bottom temp: 27 degrees
CPU A: 43
GPU Diode: 47
GPU Heatsink: 41

Should I worry? I have a 8600M GT...

just wait for apple official release statement on this issue

Alec Fraser
13th July 2008, 10:03 AM
When i play warcraft 3 in windows, i get random blue screen crashes. The errors come up to fast to read, but just how random and instant the crashes are i assumed they were to do with overheating of the vid card. Now i read this -_-

What happens now ?

That sounds more like a driver issue than anything else. Trouble is, nVidia don't release drivers fro the 8600m's. You'll have to do some hunting to find a driver pack that works.

peterz
13th July 2008, 10:21 AM
You guys have to remember that GPUs run quite hot regardless. I'd be guessing that the issue isn't abnormally high temps, it'd be the fact there's a fault in the manufacturing with the chip.

I used to have a 6600GT in my old PC that ran at around 70~90 degrees, idle!
My old Powerbook 12" never really moved from 60 degrees!

Alec Fraser
13th July 2008, 11:29 AM
You guys have to remember that GPUs run quite hot regardless. I'd be guessing that the issue isn't abnormally high temps, it'd be the fact there's a fault in the manufacturing with the chip.

That's what it is. Idling at 60 degrees is just a symptom of the fault apparently.

gr8bob
14th July 2008, 08:03 PM
It's not the heat that bothers me actually. It's what the erratic glitch that I'm having with Leopard that's been bothering me. Just check out a few of the photos I've posted HERE (http://flickr.com/photos/28516734@N05/sets/72157606141870377/) and give some comments on it.

I've gone through 2 MBP's where the first had a logic board replacement. That makes it 3 nVidia 8600M GT GPU's that I've tested, all showing symptoms seen in the pictures except the current replacement MBP (2.4GHz/MBP4,1) that has more application crash related to the nVidia GeForce8x00 kext than the previous two and has yet to show any texture corruption.

Mutters
14th July 2008, 08:55 PM
It's not the heat that bothers me actually. It's what the erratic glitch that I'm having with Leopard that's been bothering me. Just check out a few of the photos I've posted HERE (http://flickr.com/photos/28516734@N05/) and give some comments on it.

I've gone through 2 MBP's where the first had a logic board replacement. That makes it 3 nVidia 8600M GT GPU's that I've tested, all showing symptoms seen in the pictures except the current replacement MBP (2.4GHz/MBP4,1) that has more application crash related to the nVidia GeForce8x00 kext than the previous two and has yet to show any texture corruption.

I get something very similar to this - just before the whole thing freezes.

Suppose I'd better report it so I can get on the list. What list? Hopefully there'll be one for future graphics related board replacement.

mutters

morn
26th July 2008, 01:33 PM
I have had crashes related to geforce kext's. But I assumed it was just driver bugs as repeatable and have been fixed by software updates.

ZacDavies
13th August 2008, 11:52 AM
todays news

Inquirer: Pretty Much Every Nvidia GeForce 8800, 9600 and 9800 Graphics Card Is Defective - Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/08/inquirer_pretty_much_every_nvidia_geforce_8800_960 0_and_9800_graphics_card_is_defective-2.html#comments)

" Last month, the Inquirer made the shocking accusation that every Nvidia graphics card with the G84 and G86 chipsets were bad (every 8-series card up to the 8800 basically). Nvidia said that's crap, but the Inquirer said it was all a big cover up. Now the Inquirer is reporting that "four board partners are seeing G92 and G94 chips going bad in the field at high rates." That would mean all of the GeForce 8800 GT, GTS and GS desktop cards, the mobile 8800s, and most of the 9600 and 9800 series graphics cards are defective.

All summed up, the Inquirer is saying almost the entire run of 8 and 9-series GeForce cards are defective and "going bad in the field at high rates." More than that, they say that Nvidia will continue to cover it up because the cost of admitting the nature of the problem would be devastating, meaning we'll never know for sure. We'll just have to watch for anecdotes to pile up. We're really hoping they're wrong on this one—that's a lot of graphics cards, and if true, it could basically destroy Nvidia. "

And in the comments..

" We have a number of 2.66 DC Intel Xeon MacPros where I work. So far, we have seen a number of NVidia GeForce 7300 GTs hat have failed with same symptoms: artifaction across the screen, resembling the old "game screen sprites" from the Atari days. They would multiply, start pulsing, strobing and finally lead to the incessant kernel panics or inability to boot. Some machines even went into a constant rebooting loops. When opened to take a peek, all looked the same, the two capacitors adjacent to the processor heat sink would be blown up like a paper bag. Had to replace them all. Our service rep basically has a standing order for adapters so they can replace them as fast as they fail, or so they say. "

My MBP has a GeForce 8600M GT... does that mean I've luckily missed the faulty cards guys?

~Coxy
13th August 2008, 01:39 PM
My MBP has a GeForce 8600M GT... does that mean I've luckily missed the faulty cards guys?

Nope, the ones in MacBook Pros are G84s.

macaholic
13th August 2008, 01:52 PM
Nope, the ones in MacBook Pros are G84s.

Um, mine is a 8600M

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3585/picture4bl6.png

forgie
13th August 2008, 01:53 PM
I had an "artefact crash" the other day on my MP w/ 8800GT, with cool repeating "patterns" in place of my iTunes window. Cool, except that I needed to do a hard reset, which was definitely not cool.

ZacDavies
13th August 2008, 03:51 PM
Um, mine is a 8600M

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3585/picture4bl6.png

^ what he said

~Coxy
13th August 2008, 04:11 PM
A G84(M) is an 8600M.
GeForce 8600M GT 9th May 2007 G84M
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8#Technical_summary)

jrad
13th August 2008, 05:18 PM
Harray, gives me more reason to demand another MBP... I wasn't crazy! :p

lazydesi
13th August 2008, 08:19 PM
may be this time steve goes for ATI instead of Nvidia

nightelves
13th August 2008, 09:09 PM
Which macbook pro have the Nvidia chip in it because I'm running radeon in mine.

~Coxy
14th August 2008, 11:03 AM
Which macbook pro have the Nvidia chip in it because I'm running radeon in mine.

All of the new ones since July 2007.

brentonbrenton
22nd August 2008, 08:27 AM
Mutters, mine has done exactly the same thing. It just to be that from time to time it would do the graphics corruption and then slow the whole system down to a crawl, in which case you had to instantly save everything, quit and reboot NOW! Problem is I've now twice recently experienced this, but it has instead instantly frozen stiff just seconds after displaying the graphic corruption. Only a hard reset will break it free, which is problematic since this machine is primarily for work.

x8teenx
22nd August 2008, 11:34 PM
OMG...it seens like having issue with the new macbook pro....damn...i just bit a MBP with 8600M GT on EBAY>>>>>>should i get the MBP first or just tell the seller i not gonna buy first..???any option from you guys?

is it all MBP user (since late 2007) having the same problem? should i stick with the higher spec or just buy an lower spec (2.4GHz with ATI PRO GPC).