PDA

View Full Version : Wheres 10.4 gone???

GarageFriend
11th July 2008, 05:40 AM
Ok,

So today i figured it was time for an update to my iBook running 10.4.11. No problem i thought, a regular update procedure, download, install restart. That was not the case. I downloaded and installed fine. But I did download a Security Update, which i am not sure was a good idea, but it could have been another update...

The programs i installed are: iTunes 7.7, Safari 3.1.2 and a security update, i think the latest one to Tiger.
SO I installed, and went to restart. But Safari froze up (old version mind you) and the restart failed. This may be where the problem started. SO I just restarted again, this time it worked. But when the computer started up, i got to the Start Up screen, the Apple Logo with spinning gear, and then it just sat there. The hard drive was doing something, but it just stayed there, and eventually the hard drive quietened, and the Mac just kept on going, but it never made it to the Login window.

Any ideas whats wrong??
I am starting up from my 10.2 CD now, and that took 25 mins alone to boot up from.

Hope you can help,

Thanks

P.S: Sorry for the long post!!

purana
11th July 2008, 06:03 AM
Any ideas whats wrong??

No idea, rebuild and reattempt.

JimWOz
11th July 2008, 07:47 AM
Try a safe boot next.
Hold the Shift key down at startup, until the grey logo appears.
Login, then restart again normally. - This might help.

MacDave
11th July 2008, 07:51 AM
P.S: Sorry for the long post!!

Don't be! In these situations, the more details you can offer, the better. =)

Also, it's helpful to include all the specs on your Mac: Model iBook, RAM, HD size, etc..

<EDIT>

I am starting up from my 10.2 CD now, and that took 25 mins alone to boot up from.

Given this situation, before doing other things in my post, I suggest the following:

Boot into single user mode by booting while holding down Command + S. At the prompt, type the following:

fsck -f

This is the UNIX file scan check / repair. It does the same thing as Repair Disk does in Disk Utility. If any errors are caught and repaired, run fsck -f again.

When done, either type "exit" and hit Enter or just do Control -D to boot into OS X (multiuser mode, normal OS X.)

Often users get into trouble with Software Update if there are already issues with the OS and / or hard drive.

Insert your Tiger Install Disk and boot from it. When the menubar appears, after choosing the main language, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility. Do both a Repair Disk and Repair Permissions. If Repair Disk catches any errors and is able to fix them, run it a second time anyhow to be sure no further errors are caught. Afterwards, boot back into OS X and let us know how it goes.

Other things:

Be sure all your Apple applications are in the top level of your /Applications folder. If not, Software Update won't see them.

Make sure you always have at least a few GB of free space on your HD.

There is much more that can be discussed here, but first let us know the results of these first suggestions.

Dave

GarageFriend
11th July 2008, 04:36 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions so far, I ran a Disk Repair from Disk Utility last night, and I did get the error of something about a leaf file with number 10: 10 leaf file etc...

So It said repair complete and i rebooted and must have left the iBook for 40 mins, and nothing happened. I am now fsck -f <- that thing, and it is working. But that made no difference.

Specs for my iBook are: Clamshell iBook 366MHz, 320MB RAM, 10GB HD, OS 10.4.11, CD Drive.

Also, fsck -f disk check just finsihed and said that the volume Macintosh HD is OK. I doubt thats correct.

I will try a FireWire re-install sometime later because I think that my installation is pretty much done for now.

Thanks.

GarageFriend
13th July 2008, 05:12 PM
Well,

I did a re-install and it fixed the problem. :)

I have now installed the updates I wanted, and the machine is working well.
Thanks for your help guys who posted here. Especially MacDave, who gave me a tip about that whole signle-user mode, with the fsck-f check thing. :D:D:D:p

Now if only I could get Leopard onto my iBook....

LarryH
13th July 2008, 05:35 PM
Now if only I could get Leopard onto my iBook....

PowerBooks and even Core Duo MacBooks are getting so cheap these days, the MacBook the more sensible option, as 10.6 is going to come out next year and will only be available to Macs with Intel processors.

But still try to get the most out of your iBook, they are very nice machines.

GarageFriend
13th July 2008, 05:45 PM
But still try to get the most out of your iBook, they are very nice machines.

Sadly, i think 10.4.11 is where the road ends for my iBook.

MacBook, here I come! Another excuse to tell my parents I need a new computer :D