PDA

View Full Version : Is the App Store regionalised

Beaner
10th July 2008, 04:09 PM
Guys, has anyone heard if the App Store will be regionalised ala the ITMS store..

If it is, that will suck

mitty
10th July 2008, 04:17 PM
^ great question. Probably won't know til after tonight. It would suck though, as no doubt most developers are outside of Australia. I'm sure our developers are all great but we won't have anywhere near as many as the rest of the world.

Theory: As a developer you get to specify who can access your app? Dunno, someone here will know obviously.

- - e r i k - -
10th July 2008, 04:18 PM
Very very very unlikely.

Edd
10th July 2008, 04:27 PM
I doubt it. Record companies are bastards, who screw Australia more than other countries, in both price and release date. Software developers tend to just price something at so many US$ and make it available to everyone. That said, Apple still might make a $9.99US app = $16.99AU.

Beaner
10th July 2008, 04:29 PM
The cost difference will be a very interesting point. 9.99 apps should be 11 bucks no more.

If we get rogered, how long will it be until people start figruing ways to make US store accounts, also a la ITMS

NeoRicen
10th July 2008, 05:15 PM
Developers can choose which countries to sell apps in, so if an App isn't available in Australia it's the developers fault.

Beyond that, Apple doesn't control where apps are available.

Beaner
10th July 2008, 05:31 PM
What about the pricing though ? does the developer set the regional pricing ?

mvjs
10th July 2008, 05:35 PM
What about the pricing though ? does the developer set the regional pricing ?

There is several tiers of pricing a developer may select each with their own regional pricing. So no, the developer selects a price, let's say US$9.99 and Apple have already determined all their regional equivalents, in this case A$12.99. This was all revealed at AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/12/app_store_has_size_and_price_caps_opening_with_iph one_3g.html), but the images were taken down at the request of Apple Legal.

kevinnugent
12th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Some apps aren't even available to us here.... like the two I was looking forward to: eBay Auction and Fonix iSpeak. :(

Quamen
12th July 2008, 04:03 AM
Some apps aren't even available to us here.... like the two I was looking forward to: eBay Auction and Fonix iSpeak. :(

probably not available because they use US API's and are in no way regionalised for outside of the US

landog
12th July 2008, 07:57 AM
i just used my apple tv us itunes account/. nice and easy and works fine with Aus iphone

nando
14th July 2008, 03:50 PM
YES i believe app store is..
cuz no where can i find the google native search app for the iphone..
look here (http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/12/googles-iphone-app-rocks.html)

look what you can do...

Not only can you search the web faster using Google Mobile App, but you can also search your contacts, web history, local businesses and more. Best of all, it provides you with suggestions while you type, making the whole process as seamless as humanly possible.

- - e r i k - -
14th July 2008, 07:03 PM
Definitely IS regionalised, which is fine for combing out apps that are useless outside the US (even though some are let through *eyeing BoxOffice*), but absolute SHIT for things that we SHOULD have, like Scrabble™.