PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 users.

dolbinau
10th July 2008, 08:40 AM
Hey,

Are there any OS 9 users out there?

I'm wondering how fast OS 9 would be on my iMac G3 400 Mhz 256mb RAM. I bought it with OS 9, however, naively I quickly removed it in favour of OS X Tiger.

Would OS 9 make it 'feel' like a new machine? I'm specifically talking about web browsing and performance with iCab (what I gather to be the latest browser for it)

Thunderstruck
10th July 2008, 08:45 AM
It would scream. A buddy of mine has 9.2 on G3 500 with only 128MB of RAM. It's a wonder many of us tolerated Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3. Then again the trade off between features vs speed was probably worth it for a while.

Dunks0r
10th July 2008, 08:45 AM
Bad bad idea, your talking about using a OS that is what? 7 years dead? Web browsing would be painfull, im not even sure modern flash would be supported in any fashion.

Best bet would be to source some ram for your Mac and install Panther/Tiger, Max out your ram and it will be quite a usable machine.

SOSUMI
10th July 2008, 08:46 AM
I still run with 9.2.2 on a Blue and White G3 400mhz /512/ 3 18Gb SCSI drives. Pioneer 115 Superdrive. Last machine to have ADB /2 usb and 2 firewire. Reason I still like Falcon 4 as a flight Sim. I have a Griffin ADB to USB converter but use it very little.

tempestas
10th July 2008, 08:46 AM
Hmmm

It will feel more zippy in many ways, not so sure about web-browsing experience though. Haven't played with the latest iCab, there are older Mozilla builds that are ok, but not brilliant, hate to say it but IE5 for Mac is not bad under OS9.

With only 256Mb RAM Tiger must be like wet concrete. I have a G3 333 Lombard and Panther/Safari/Firefox is fine.

I'd try dual booting for a bit to compare or else go back to Panther

tranp
10th July 2008, 08:49 AM
OS 9 will be a screamer on that thing. However, if you're going to be doing web stuff then you may as well stick with Tiger.

Byrd
10th July 2008, 09:00 AM
OS 9 goes like greased lightning on any G3 machine. There are many lean, tight apps that work well with the OS and aren't bloated unlike a lot of software today.

However, using OS 9 primarily for web browsing is a frustrating experience; apart from Mozilla and iCab there is little development in this area. If you can use OS X (or dual boot), stick to this for web browsing.

JB

JimWOz
10th July 2008, 09:19 AM
Apart from the OS:
Try swapping in a <128G 7200 RPM PATA HD for the old 10G 5400 RPM she came with, and watch the difference !!
Our old iMac 333 got a real speed burst from doing this a few years back. :thumbup:
Edit: - Note some of these iMacs only have convection cooling though I seem to recall, so heavy HD use might cause problems. It hasn't been an issue for the 333MHz Rev.D though, which has a (loud) fan.

Panther is the fastest OSX version for these machines.
Keep OS9 on board if you like though. Ah!, hacking the system with ResEdit, those were the days. :D

something2sea
10th July 2008, 09:29 AM
OS 9 would scream, although for internet related stuff, find a copy of FireFox 2.x and install panther, it'll scream well enough.

leon
10th July 2008, 10:41 AM
As a someone who entered the Apple scene on Panther I have recently moved into OS 9 (still don't really understand it fully, but I am learning).
My experience began with running OS 9.1 on my TAM, then I put OS 9.2.2 on my Cube (500MHz/1GB RAM) and an iMac G3 400MHz (256MB RAM).

In terms of speed I find that OS 9.2.2 runs just as fast on the iMac G3 as it does on the Cube. Obviously there is a speed limit you reach as you put it on faster machines. I find that web browsing is O.K, but as mentioned you can't really get a modern web browser to run properly. I have tried the latest builds of iCab, and although it can display most pages properly, it is painfully slow. I run IE5.1 on my TAM and it doesn't display pages properly but is a lot faster than iCab (at least 3-4 times quicker to render a page).

My main reason for keeping OS9 around is to play older games. Last night I was playing Dark Forces on the Cube and it screams. Old versions of Microsoft Office also run really well in OS 9.

The main issue that annoys me with OS 9.2.2 is that it can't connect to my wireless network, which I am assuming is because it doesn't support WPA2. In some ways I prefer OS9 over OS-X (OS9 is so much faster to load and run than OS X), but I find OS X is generally more stable that OS 9.
If I were you, I would just set up a dual boot system with OS X Panther and OS 9.2.2

dolbinau
10th July 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks, you've all been most helpful. Considering the only use the machine may get is Internet browsing looks like I'll stick with OS X:).

Trigger
5th August 2008, 04:01 PM
Where can you buy panther (10.3) from I would like to update my old power mac G4 450MHz its currently running 9.2

chrome
5th August 2008, 06:53 PM
i'd throw linux on that bad boy ... but i'm a bit weird like that.

dolbinau
5th August 2008, 07:12 PM
Where can you buy panther (10.3) from I would like to update my old power mac G4 450MHz its currently running 9.2

eBay..or just get it off a friend. (But I suppose if you could you already would :P)

i'd throw linux on that bad boy ... but i'm a bit weird like that.

I tried xubuntu, faster than OS X but decided to resort back for my software!