PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Installing OS X from CD

ford.boy
12th April 2005, 05:36 PM
I have just recieved my iBook back from Apple for warranty work. in short, the HDD was FUBAR, and it needed a new one. So I got no more anything on the iBook and would dearly like to have panther on it.

Right now, install disc one is stuck inside the puter, I can't get it out, I can't go forwards with it. It sound like it's reading the CD, so I doubt there's a problem with the CD drive.

I've tried holding C while booting, I get nothing. I've tried holding option while booting, I get to the next screen with the blue background, with two arrows and nothing else.

Can anyone help me? I'm not too fond of having a $2000 doorstop... ;)

jobe
12th April 2005, 05:47 PM
if you just want to take the CD out. Turn off the computer (I wouldn't recomend doing this with it on) and gently insert a straightened paper clip into the tiny little hole on the drive. Make sure you push it in straight and firm until the CD drive pops out.

But it sounds like its having trouble reading the CD. Make sure it's not scratched or dirty. I've found my ibook optical drive to be very sensitive to even slight scratches. You could try burning a (TEMPORARTY for all you priacy nazi) copy of the CD on a desktop which tend to be less sensitive to slight scratches and try installing from the burnt copy. If it contunies to do it though, you might be making another warrenty trip.

ford.boy
12th April 2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Apr 12 2005, 05:47 PM
if you just want to take the CD out. Turn off the computer (I wouldn't recomend doing this with it on) and gently insert a straightened paper clip into the tiny little hole on the drive. Make sure you push it in straight and firm until the CD drive pops out.

But it sounds like it having trouble reading the CD. Make sure it's not scratched or dirty.
It's an iBook G4, there is no hole.... :(

http://images.apple.com/r/store/gallery/ib...htside_2004.jpg (http://images.apple.com/r/store/gallery/ibookg4/images/ibookg4_rightside_2004.jpg)

Edit: The CD wouldn't wanna be scratched either. I just took it out of its plastic sleeve all of 7 seconds before it went into the iBook

jobe
12th April 2005, 05:53 PM
oh. sucks. Um... you could try what Graham did to get a cd out of his g5 imac. thread here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6438)

ford.boy
12th April 2005, 05:59 PM
still not working...

I tried holding X, can't access the terminal with no X installed.

Off to next byte them tomorrow... <_< Bugger.

designers_hub
12th April 2005, 06:42 PM
don&#39;t panic yet.

i&#39;ve had this problem before too when i was burning a CD and i was stupid enough to force quit the burning application. I tried everything and it wouldn&#39;t come out.

There is a way&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
1) Hold Control-Command-Option-Eject Button; [Mac OS X only]
this will shut down your computer.
2) Turn the power on with the power button [all Macs]
and hold Command-Option-O-F
-- this will boot you into open firmware.
3) Now type eject cd [all Macs]
and wait until the CD pops out.
4) Type mac-boot [all Macs]
and you are ready to rock&#33;
This SHOULD work&#33; its forces the computer to enject the CD.

IF this doesn&#39;t work try http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58566 But be careful you may want to get a apple centre to do this.

ford.boy
12th April 2005, 07:12 PM
ok into open firmware (much nicer than the crappy dosy thing I get on my dell btw) and I type the eject cd command.
I then get the error:
0 > eject cd can&#39;t OPEN the EJECT device :(

So does this mean stuffed harbware?

designers_hub
12th April 2005, 07:51 PM
well yep, its confirmed

srry that didn&#39;t work.

ford.boy
12th April 2005, 08:09 PM
Oh well thanks for trying guys :)

purana
12th April 2005, 08:55 PM
I didn&#39;t read all the thread... but have you tried holding down the mouse button after turning it on. This is another way to force eject disks in optical drive at boot time. And yes it works more times then not.

So give it a whirl. It might work when eject-cd from openfirmware didn&#39;t.

ford.boy
13th April 2005, 10:11 AM
I&#39;ve tried that using the button on the trackpad, but I&#39;ll use my apple pro mouse now and see..

Nope.

I really don&#39;t get it. The CD spins up, then nothing happens.

ford.boy
13th April 2005, 10:25 AM
Well, just called NB, they said that when they ran the hardware test everything checked out. Let&#39;s hope it&#39;s not been lemonified.... :unsure:

iMick
13th April 2005, 11:10 AM
Try rebooting and holding down the trackpad button. It works all the time on my ibook and powerbook.

ford.boy
13th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by iMick@Apr 13 2005, 11:10 AM
Try rebooting and holding down the trackpad button. It works all the time on my ibook and powerbook.
Tried that, no cigar :(

purana
13th April 2005, 01:12 PM
Sounds like the repairer botched the optical drive... And yes this does happen (even if they say they ran so and so).

Oh well.

ford.boy
15th April 2005, 11:23 AM
It is apparently a data cable, but there&#39;s a new logic board on it&#39;s way.

We couldn&#39;t find out what was wrong with it at all. So fingers crossed.

purana
15th April 2005, 11:39 AM
Someone botched it. Seriously though the portable machines are the worst to work on from a tech point of view. I should know as I have had to do it, infact they also test you on it when you goto Apple for training, and seriously they are tough on you. It has to be done perfect (as you expect). But sometimes things do go wrong.

Hopefully you should have it back real soon and working all nice again.