PDA

View Full Version : LG Blu-Ray Player

RGSX12
9th July 2008, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an LG Blu-Ray player soon. Now LG Australia don't make them, but they do have a few models out in the states right now. I'm wondering how I can get one over to Australia and if it's going to work here (region codes and all).

Any advise would be much appreciated :thumbup:

astr0b0y
9th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Won't be region free, so you will have to either buy US region or all region disks. Power supply may also be a problem if they don't have a 100V/240V switching supply. Buy a PS3.

RGSX12
9th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Won't be region free, so you will have to either buy US region or all region disks. Power supply may also be a problem if they don't have a 100V/240V switching supply. Buy a PS3.

Yeah, one of my main concerns was the power issue. Any suggestions from where to buy a PS3 at a decent price?

astr0b0y
9th July 2008, 02:52 PM
Ebay is usually good for a $50 off RRP price for a new one (plenty of people selling the ones they get for free with their Sony TVs). How much were you thinking you would be spending on the LG?

RGSX12
9th July 2008, 02:55 PM
The model I was looking at was between 600-800 including shipping and all that from the US. I've just been looking around and the PS3 prices are similar to this :)

thebag
9th July 2008, 02:58 PM
Tim,

Before you buy, see if you can do a search to see if it is possible to make the drive multi-region. I know LG DVD players are pretty easy to modify. It is simply a matter of punching a code into the units remote and voila Region free viewing.

Wally
9th July 2008, 03:00 PM
I thought it was law in australia that retailers must make region free work on DVD players..

This should apply to Bluray as well.

cmjl
9th July 2008, 03:05 PM
I believe that the ACCC has intervened to ensure that all DVD players sold in Australia are **capable** of being made region free, even if they are not region free out of the box.

Not sure if this has been applied to Blu-ray players though.

astr0b0y
9th July 2008, 03:06 PM
It is not a law, just a recommendation and has the affect of allowing manufacturers to provide this functionality, rather than restrict them to denying it. It does not apply to Blu-Ray as yet.

grorr76
9th July 2008, 03:07 PM
[quote=wally4000;559346]I thought it was law in australia that retailers must make region free work on DVD players..

This should apply to Bluray as well.[/quote

nope doesn't apply to blue ray. The regions codes are heavily enforced baring region free titles which are ebcomeing more prevelent. There are plenty of Web sites online that list region free titles, although there existence isnt widely promoted by retailers.

As for players cant go past a ps3 its fully upgradable and is a sensational player, best gizmo I have ever bought. Unless a players is upgradable dont even bother as the blueray spec is constantly eveloving and on a ps3 you can acsess all the relevant formats , be it audio or video and special features as sony update the firmware, which at the moment is on quite a regular basis.

samuelowens
9th July 2008, 03:08 PM
Simply put, the law, as stated in the Copyright Act, is that region coding is legal to remove. There is no restriction on region coding being fitted.

Manufacturers are under no obligation to supply region-free DVD or Blu-ray players...

astr0b0y
9th July 2008, 03:11 PM
Simply put, the law, as stated in the Copyright Act, is that region coding is legal to fit, legal to remove.

Manufacturers are under no obligation to supply region-free DVD or Blu-ray players...

Gotta love the law, especially that one. Taken out of context, it reads like this to me:

Question: "1 or 2?"
Answer: "Yes"

doughnut
9th July 2008, 03:27 PM
I don't think very highly of LG products - I urge you to pick a different (re: better) brand. :)

Wally
9th July 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think very highly of LG products - I urge you to pick a different (re: better) brand. :)

I agree actually, L.G is cheap and poorly designed, especially washing machines. Fridges are ok but everything else *shakes head*..

One advantage, cheap to fix if it breaks! (parts wise)

Wally

astr0b0y
9th July 2008, 03:49 PM
With Blu-ray players, I feel it is ultra important to get one that is network upgradeable to Profile 1.1 at least, preferably profile 2.0.

eddieaus
9th July 2008, 05:00 PM
Sony just released S350 blu-ray player in the US, and it's only US$399, it's probably going to be here very soon too (RRP 599 is my guess), and it will support BD-Live via firmware update.

Piratbyran
9th July 2008, 05:13 PM
There are blue ray drives for macs, if thats an option price wise, and is suitable for what you wish to do with it.

RGSX12
9th July 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses, I'm leaning towards a PS3 at the moment.

[MREVO8]
9th July 2008, 05:17 PM
While Blu-ray drives will work for reading/writing data on a Mac... you are unable to watch movies with it at the moment.

I say get a PS3... It supports Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD... basically, it is currently the cheapest top of the line player.

doughnut
10th July 2008, 10:17 AM
;559783']I say get a PS3... It supports Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD... basically, it is currently the cheapest top of the line player.

Got to agree with you on that. At this point in time it makes the most sense, dollar-wise.