PDA

View Full Version : will there be a G5 laptop range?

ludeking
12th April 2005, 11:28 AM
Hi all,
my first post here so go easy ;)

I was just wondering if Apple plan to release an iBook or a Powerbook based on the new G5 processor? Looking at getting an iBook shortly, but might hold off for a G5 if they are releasing one.

Other quiestion is if I perform upgrades myself ie for RAM, HDD etc, will this void the warranty (how long is the warranty anyway?). Can upgrades be performed without voiding warranties?

Cheers.

hawker
12th April 2005, 11:29 AM
what was that quote - "It will be the mother of all thermial jobs"???

Disko
12th April 2005, 11:31 AM
They will - but not soon, and certainly not in iBooks for a long time. If i were you, i'd hold of on an ibook anyway, since they're about due for an upgrade (and there are rumors flying around of upgrades) in the next few weeks. :)

Ram upgrades wont void the warranty - but a HDD one might. You get 1 year warranty, but you can buy an extra 2 years with apple care.

the_OM
12th April 2005, 11:33 AM
iBooks won't go to G5 for ages (like probably 18 months or so)
Powerbooks hopefully sometime this year, but probably not untill the 3rd Quarter at the earliest.

Everything about portables is speculative, but everyone knows that if pbook G5's aren't released at wwdc (in june) then they probably won't be released until Paris (sept) or San Francisco (january next year). And there's be absolutely no indication of a wwdc release from anywhere yet.

the_OM
12th April 2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 12 2005, 11:29 AM
The other thread got closed, but welcome back mate.

Phillip
12th April 2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 12 2005, 11:29 AM
From the same guy who said there won't be a sub $500 comptuer from Apple.

IMO, we will see a G5 PowerBook at Paris this year, or Macworld 06 in Jan 06,. :D I won't advise anyone to be wait really - its the worlds most anticipated computer at the moment and they are gonna have HUGE supply problems with it ;)

raj
12th April 2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 12 2005, 11:39 AM
its the worlds most anticipated computer at the moment and they are gonna have HUGE supply problems with it ;)
Not to mention the technical problems and DOA's they'll have just like the original G4 Titanium. I for one will be holding off on the Powerbook G5 until it's first revision most likely Nov 2006.

I can't really see the Powerbook G5 coming out at Paris either. If anything the existing line will be upgraded to have the HD screens they wrote into the manuals for the current line by mistake but that's about it.

My 2 cents worth anyway...

noisypoppy
12th April 2005, 12:25 PM
Malkovitch? Malkovitch! Malkovitch, Malkovitch...Malkovitch Malkovitch...

haha sorry I had to do that

Disko
12th April 2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah, i agree with wowbagger. No way in hell will i be pre-ordering a G5 notebook. :)

ludeking
12th April 2005, 01:46 PM
wow, all these replies!
this is one active forum!

Cheers for the info, will see what happens regarding an upgrade soon, it'll be a while till I get the cash saved up anyway so fingers crossed.

Cheers.

hawker
12th April 2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ludeking@Apr 12 2005, 01:46 PM
wow, all these replies!
this is one active forum!
Yes, we like to think we are a very pro-active forum.

the_OM: Thanks, good to be back....

Phillip: LOL :P

LCGuy
12th April 2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 12 2005, 11:39 AM
From the same guy who said there won't be a sub $500 comptuer from Apple.

As well as the same guy who said that a G4 PowerBook would be the "mother of all thermal challenges"

raj
12th April 2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by noisypoppy@Apr 12 2005, 12:25 PM
Malkovitch? Malkovitch! Malkovitch, Malkovitch...Malkovitch Malkovitch...

haha sorry I had to do that
LOL :)

They call me Teddy, Teddy KGB.... go watch Rounders! You should all be ashamed should you not have seen it! :)

noisypoppy
12th April 2005, 04:04 PM
I've seen it!

Phillip
12th April 2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Apr 12 2005, 03:17 PM
As well as the same guy who said that a G4 PowerBook would be the "mother of all thermal challenges"
Thats what Hawker said! Read above! :D

hawker
12th April 2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 12 2005, 04:27 PM
Thats what Hawker said! Read above! :D
Yeah except I cannot spell :P