PDA

View Full Version : Announcing iStat remote for iPhone

iSlayer
8th July 2008, 12:34 AM
We just gave ars technica a preview of our first iPhone app. its still early days but you can take a look at the preview here (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/07/exclusive-preview-islayers-iphone-app-monitors-your-mac) and as always we will post details as things progress right here on mactalk. We would love to hear suggestions from everyone here on this one aswell.

mac_man_luke
8th July 2008, 12:38 AM
looks very cool

any chance of a linux server for it (to monitor linux boxes)

iSlayer
8th July 2008, 12:39 AM
looks very cool

any chance of a linux server for it (to monitor linux boxes)

I've never done any programming for linux but its something we would like to do at some point.

matthewk
8th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Looks good, despite the fact I doubt I'll have a need to use it. Shame you won't make launch day. But quality over speed.

decryption
8th July 2008, 12:41 AM
Looks awesome :thumbup:

WIll you be able to set alerts on it? So if a temp gets too high, or a fan stops, you get something really annoying to let you know? :p

iSlayer
8th July 2008, 12:43 AM

WIll you be able to set alerts on it? So if a temp gets too high, or a fan stops, you get something really annoying to let you know? :p

We haven't got that far yet but yep its something we will consider. We still need to see exactly whats possible with the push notifications api's and all that.

marc
8th July 2008, 12:44 AM

Can't talk about that stuff now. Ask again later ;)

matthewk
8th July 2008, 12:46 AM

That would actually be very useful, have a pop up warning sent to the iPhone if certain things happen (ie temp gets too high). I couldn't see the point of having to load up an app to see everything as fine, but if it warned me when something was run and I could quickly check the stats - I'd pay for that. And I'm sure people with mission critical servers would pay even more.

Sambo
8th July 2008, 12:46 AM
Wow incredible work, never cease to amaze.

gtext
8th July 2008, 12:52 AM
A truly amazing and useful application.

Alerts would certainly be a plus.

MizuInOz
8th July 2008, 01:23 AM
I like - I want - let us know..

You guys are one of the reasons I joined MacTalk way back when. I really like your work.

I have 1Password on all of my systems and the iStat Pro...
Very professional work.

I really like being able to "transfer" all of my passcodes to my iPhone and when I need to access a restricted site - like email - waaa laa! I just go to bookmarks and click and it shows up on the webpage, I type in my control passcode and I am in.

Great stuff!

Once again, this is needed and you are the team to bring it home!

Cheers!

jonnos
8th July 2008, 03:55 AM

or remotely shutdown your mac incase of high temps?

looks good! keep up the good work!

btw, im loving organized :D

aswitcher
8th July 2008, 05:17 AM
This looks great.

tcn33
8th July 2008, 05:45 AM
That is extremely impressive. Nice work guys :)

MacNut
8th July 2008, 06:56 AM
Looks great and obviously up to your usual professional standard

gehenna
8th July 2008, 07:26 AM
what an awesome idea! THAT is exactly the sort of App I was hoping to see for the iPhone. It'd be of huge interest to enterprise as well! I hope you're charging ;)

adam89
8th July 2008, 07:53 AM
what an awesome idea! THAT is exactly the sort of App I was hoping to see for the iPhone. It'd be of huge interest to enterprise as well! I hope you're charging ;)

Yes, how interested for enterprise.. Now all upper management, can check to see the temperatures of their macs. how productive for them.... :rolleyes:

Still, a great app for geeks :) Keep up the good work, guys.

gehenna
8th July 2008, 07:58 AM
Now all upper management, can check to see the temperatures of their macs. how productive for them.... :rolleyes:

The people that actually run IT infrastructure in enterprise are the people that would benefit from this. Get a clue, idiot.

adam89
8th July 2008, 08:03 AM
The people that actually run IT infrastructure in enterprise are the people that would benefit from this. Get a clue, idiot.

I'm sure they use iStat to watch their servers...

And how many macs would they need to monitor? Wouldn't they usually be around the macs and not so far away from them that they need an app on their phone to monitor them?

gehenna
8th July 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm sure they use iStat to watch their servers...

And how many macs would they need to monitor? Wouldn't they usually be around the macs and not so far away from them that they need an app on their phone to monitor them?

What about when you're at home, in the lounge, watching a movie.......and someone calls to say "blah blah server blah" and you can't be bothered going upstairs to log on remotely to check. Or you're at the pub, or at the movies and you get an email alert telling you to check something on the server. Oh look, that's my life right there. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. Like I said, this looks great and would be of huge benefit to enterprise.

adam89
8th July 2008, 08:09 AM
What about when you're at home, in the lounge, watching a movie.......and someone calls to say "blah blah server blah" and you can't be bothered going upstairs to log on remotely to check. Or you're at the pub, or at the movies and you get an email alert telling you to check something on the server. Oh look, that's my life right there. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. Like I said, this looks great and would be of huge benefit to enterprise.

I'm sure people call you all the time and ask "Hey, what's the temperature of the Airport Card in the server?".

gehenna
8th July 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm sure people call you all the time and ask "Hey, what's the temperature of the Airport Card in the server?".

What is your issue with this? I get alerts from the server regularly. I also want to be able to monitor things wherever I am without having to get my laptop out. At the moment I'm using VNC on the iPhone which sucks. I check my servers at least twice a night to make sure everything is okay. Temperature wise as well because we have shoddy aircon in the server room. I see a use for this in enterprise....are you arguing that for arguments sake or are you really that retarded that you can't see the benefits for sysadmins?

adam89
8th July 2008, 08:53 AM
What is your issue with this? I get alerts from the server regularly. I also want to be able to monitor things wherever I am without having to get my laptop out. At the moment I'm using VNC on the iPhone which sucks. I check my servers at least twice a night to make sure everything is okay. Temperature wise as well because we have shoddy aircon in the server room. I see a use for this in enterprise....are you arguing that for arguments sake or are you really that retarded that you can't see the benefits for sysadmins?

I understand what you're saying, but i don't see it's "huge interest" to enterprise?

iSlayer
8th July 2008, 10:03 AM
I hope you're charging ;)

Nope. Free with donations accepted as usual

iSlayer
8th July 2008, 10:04 AM
I have 1Password on all of my systems and the iStat Pro...

We dont actually make 1password. We are just an advertising partner

leon
8th July 2008, 10:32 AM
Thank-you very much iSlayer boys. I have been asking/wanting an app like this for ages, and you were probably getting sick of me posting about it.
Very happy.

drewbles
8th July 2008, 10:35 AM
I understand what you're saying, but i don't see it's "huge interest" to enterprise?

If you start to integrate nagios type functions into it, it would be. I work in the Telco world, and if there were such an app that would interact with nagios or act as a standalone monitoring type server that could just push me alerts, i'd be very happy. A 'Remote Network View' almost with green/orange/red status alerts. Would mean i'm always knowing what the status of the network is without being in front of a machine.

Great work guys. I can see a heap of potential uses here with some tweaking :)

marc
8th July 2008, 10:51 AM
Keep in mind that this won't just monitor temps. It'll monitor disk space, CPU and a lot of other things and some get graphed over time. Very handy for seeing spikes in server load.