PDA

View Full Version : .com.au requirements

vicmeldrew
11th April 2005, 02:45 PM
I have been thinking about starting a.com.au web site. I know very little about it all, but figure it is the best way to teach myself web publishing.

I have tried to buy/rent or whatever a domain but evidently I need to be company or business rather than an individual to secure one.

It is a pretty generic name like www.potboiler.com.au.. At first it will be little more than a page or two of links and information that I hope later can be developed commercially.

Do I need any anything more than a ABN? Or do I need to be a registered company with a trading name that relates to the domain name?

I am finding it all pretty confusing, especially as I have heard the rules have been relaxed lately, regarding the granting of domain names.

Thanks Richard

montfort
11th April 2005, 02:59 PM
you just need to register a business name with the dept of fair trading in your state and on doing so you will receive a business number. you can then use this business number to register .au domain name

macmate
11th April 2005, 02:59 PM
go to the ATO website. register an ABN under your tax file number (hobbiest abn) and then you can get a .com.au domain.

you will however have to do quarterly BAS statements

Ric

OziMac
11th April 2005, 03:03 PM
Not wanting to do your homework for you, but perhaps looking at Schedule C of auDA's Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Rules for the Open 2LDs (2002-07) (http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2002-07/) might be instructive...

SCHEDULE C

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:

a ) an Australian registered company; or

b ) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or

c ) an Australian partnership or sole trader;

d ) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e ) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f ) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark [Note 1]; or

g ) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or

h ) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must:

a ) exactly match:

(i) the registrant's company, business, trading, association or statutory body name; or

(ii) the words comprising the registrantís Australian Registered Trade Mark or application for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

b ) be an acronym or abbreviation of 2a) (i) or (ii); or

c ) be otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, because the domain name refers to:

(i) a product that the registrant manufactures or sells; or

(ii) a service that the registrant provides; or

(iii) an event that the registrant organises or sponsors; or

(iv) an activity that the registrant facilitates, teaches or trains; or

(v) a venue that the registrant operates; or

(vi) a profession that the registrant's employees practise.

964RSCS
11th April 2005, 03:22 PM
Or you could just get a .com

Anyone can buy a .com, aslong as they have the money!!! Fine for experimenting and just playing around with your first site...

Much cheaper too. don't pay more than about $25AUD/yr at the most for a .com

Also no restrictions on names, aside form if someone else already has it of course...

TorranceTM
11th April 2005, 03:36 PM
For an individual get a .com it is a 1000% easier than a .com.au :angry:

OziMac
11th April 2005, 03:42 PM
I'll third the .com ease-of-registration idea. :)

konni
11th April 2005, 04:19 PM
If you just want to play and learn then definately a .com or .net - and it can still turn into a happening site for doing business in Australia even without the .au attached.
I have both, but the one hosting in USA (US$47/yr or $4/mth) came with free domain name registration, 300 MB space, 60 email accounts, 10 parked domains. I pay an extra US$15/yr for mySQL database. My Aussie domain costs me about AUD$260/yr.

purana
11th April 2005, 05:59 PM
The regulations required to get com.au, .net.au and .org.au domain names is a joke. Hence I just stuck with a .com, or .net

Besides these are cheaper too :)

zen
11th April 2005, 06:37 PM
A little off topic here, but in regards to .com/.net.au being expensive. They have actually gone down quite a bit for the past few years.

I last paid $40/yr for mine but now they have gone down to a low $22.5/yr @ NetRegistry (http://www.netregistry.com.au/domain_names/prices.html)

Time has changed :P

vicmeldrew
12th April 2005, 02:35 PM
Looks like a .com domain name for me. An .com.au looks like just too much hassle. I guess too that I cannot possibly expect anything more than to indulge my interest.

My proposed web site will be about Australian designed sailing boats. There were many well designed sailing boats built that are mostly unique to Australia. Boats like the Hood 23, Top Hat 25, Compass 28, Swanson 28, and many more. Nearly all of the traditional designs like above are no longer being made. I own a 22 year old Top Hat 25. It was designed by an Englishman and to handle the chop of Port Philliip Bay in Melbourne. It is very seaworthy but is slow compared to the lighter displacement boats built these days for racing. I reckon it is the perfect blend of form and function.

Thanks very much for the advice. I have liked to get a .com.au domain because there are much more domain names available than .com

Richard

Insanely
12th April 2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by konni@Apr 11 2005, 04:19 PM

I have both, but the one hosting in USA (US$47/yr or $4/mth) came with free domain name registration, 300 MB space, 60 email accounts, 10 parked domains. I pay an extra US$15/yr for mySQL database. My Aussie domain costs me about AUD$260/yr.
What is a parked domain?

hawker
12th April 2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Insanely@Apr 12 2005, 02:43 PM
What is a parked domain?
Parked domain is just when you want to set a domain up to point to your web space but do not want is as your main domain.

For instance www.csutv.com is my main domain - I have csutv.com.au as a parked domain...

The other way around the .com.au issue is find a friend with a business (ABN) and get them to write your domain off as a "event or product" that their company sells. I've done it a few times. The .com.au rules are becoming easier to get around all the time ;)

But yeah, if you can get a .com or .net, go that route, cheaper in the long run. The only thing the .com.au does is make you look aussie ;)

vicmeldrew
12th April 2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 12 2005, 04:27 PM

But yeah, if you can get a .com or .net, go that route, cheaper in the long run. The only thing the .com.au does is make you look aussie ;)
Actually there are still a few .com domains with Australia, Aust, etc in the name. I would say that Aussie is a bit more popular though.

Richard

BiRDBRAiN
12th April 2005, 05:40 PM
Just to clarify the GST and BAS thing.

You can register for an ABN but not have to register for the GST system.

Its only compulsory to register for the GST system if your business turns over more then $50,000 per annum.

The downside is if your business needs to purchase anything from a supplier of some sort they will need to withhold 40c in the dollar for GST purposes, so you are effectively paying 40% ontop of those goods if you're not registered for GST.

I'm not an accountant but that may need to be clarified by one.

soulman
14th April 2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Apr 12 2005, 05:40 PM
You can register for an ABN but not have to register for the GST system.

Its only compulsory to register for the GST system if your business turns over more then $50,000 per annum.
This is correct.

The downside is if your business needs to purchase anything from a supplier of some sort they will need to withhold 40c in the dollar for GST purposes, so you are effectively paying 40% ontop of those goods if you're not registered for GST.
The 40% witholdnig you're talking about is for PAYG - income tax - not GST. It applies in some situations with contractors who can't or won't quote an ABN. It doesn't apply when a business is buying something.

The downside of not being GST registered is that the business cannot claim what is called input tax credits - the GST paid on things bought for the business. GST registered businesses do not ultimately pay GST on anything. This is important for product based businesses but not so much for smaller service based businesses. If you buy widgets and sell gadgets made with them, you would need to be GST registered to be competitive but if you sell your time or expertise you may not have a lot of inputs - things you need to buy to carry on your business - so it may not be worth reigistering for GST given the reporting requirements.