PDA

View Full Version : Skype and iPhone

Spud
5th July 2008, 12:33 PM
Hi All

I figure I could buy and iPhone outright $700 8Gb and run skype (if available/possible?) in the phone and get very cheap phone calls anywhere ? Web Browsing ??

Any views/comments ?

Spud

Keving
5th July 2008, 12:43 PM
skype will be on the iPhone - however apples rules stated voip can only be done via wi-fi, not 3g/mobile data

decryption
5th July 2008, 12:48 PM
skype will be on the iPhone - however apples rules stated voip can only be done via wi-fi, not 3g/mobile data

Yep - I'd be shocked if Skype doesn't make an iPhone client. It will only work on wi-fi though (suits me!). Same goes for any other VOIP client.

I really hope there's a good VOIP client that can use the polling server or something like that, so I can use it as my primary phone at home, as well as my mobile.

dolbinau
5th July 2008, 07:14 PM
Source regarding WiFI only? I heard it did not work on EDGE, not necessarily 3G (but likely I missed it)

Spartan
5th July 2008, 07:18 PM
Yep - I'd be shocked if Skype doesn't make an iPhone client. It will only work on wi-fi though (suits me!). Same goes for any other VOIP client.

I really hope there's a good VOIP client that can use the polling server or something like that, so I can use it as my primary phone at home, as well as my mobile.

Im pretty sure Skype will make a client for the iPhone there were talks about it before iPhone 2.0..

On the 3G case, It would take a lot of resources and cost you a bunch in data fee's wouldnt it?

With wi-fi it would be awesome, but having to be around a wifi hotspot would be a pain, not to mention who ever your calling has to be around wifi and they have to have Skype installed :(

It would be good to call family members and friends though...

decryption
5th July 2008, 07:38 PM
Source regarding WiFI only? I heard it did not work on EDGE, not necessarily 3G (but likely I missed it)

3G is assumed - if they didn't allow it over EDGE, they wont' allow it over 3G (where it would actually work)

dotnet
5th July 2008, 09:00 PM
3G is assumed - if they didn't allow it over EDGE, they wont' allow it over 3G (where it would actually work)

Didn't allow it over EDGE?? What VOIP apps are there?

Cheers
Steffen.

melted.marsbar
5th July 2008, 09:06 PM

Fring allows you to use Skype on your iPhone...

Spartan

Cheers
Steffen.

There was one or two if i remember check modmyifone.com

dolbinau

Cheers
Steffen.

When I mean 'didn't' I mean 'wasn't going to' :P. I thought this might be for network reasons.

dotnet
5th July 2008, 09:17 PM
The thing is there are no VOIP apps for iPhone v1, in fact there are no apps other than the ones Apple put on. What works and doesn't work with software people put onto their hacked iPhones is no indication of what's going to work with official 3rd party apps.

Apparently there are some rules to be observed when accessing a carrier network. The GSM radio is probably better protected from hacking than other parts of the phone. I'm sure apps wanting to access it will get vetted first. I see no reason why Skype shouldn't be able to qualify if they wanted to.

Cheers
Steffen.

drzeus
6th July 2008, 09:56 AM
Forget Skype....it is a proprietary protocol restricting you to calling other users on skype or paying their call out rates.

What will REALLY be good is a SIP VOIP client on the iphone that will allow you to use your favourite VOIP company of your choice (eg MNF).

Imagine being at any Wi-Fi hotspot and be able to make flat rate local calls to Australia and overseas through your current account with your VOIP provider as well as receive calls to your landline number...It will be literally like taking your home VOIP with you on the road!

Personally I don't see the attraction of skype when there are so many better VOIP solutions out there...only reason for their popularity is the immense marketing they've done over the years..

dotnet
6th July 2008, 02:05 PM
For me the attraction is that it works well, is completely free within the network, and has very cheap rates for overseas calls. That's why they're my favourite VOIP company of choice. Despite the fact that they don't do any marketing I'm aware of.

Cheers
Steffen.

decryption
6th July 2008, 02:32 PM
Skype works really well - no firewall stuff to speak of. Launch app - talk. It also has a much better interface and design than all the other SIP clients.

That said, Skype is not cheap for landline calls for Australians. If you call a 13 number, that's timed per second :(

EasyTiger
6th July 2008, 03:47 PM
Forget Skype....it is a proprietary protocol restricting you to calling other users on skype or paying their call out rates.

No it's not. I can call anyone anywhere with a phone number with Skype, plus as a previous poster said, Fring is in beta so you will be able to make VoiP calls on that through your iPhone. Presumably.

deepspace
6th July 2008, 05:03 PM
No it's not. I can call anyone anywhere with a phone number with Skype, plus as a previous poster said, Fring (http://www.fring.com/) is in beta so you will be able to make VoiP calls on that through your iPhone. Presumably.
Beat me to it.

I've been used Fring on my Nokia E61 for a year. It's an integrated and stable application with lots of cool features. It basically makes your mobile as a Skype phone. Plus it's free.

Can't wait to get a new iphone and try Fring on either wifi or 3G connection.:thumbup:

drzeus
6th July 2008, 05:29 PM
No it's not. I can call anyone anywhere with a phone number with Skype, plus as a previous poster said, Fring is in beta so you will be able to make VoiP calls on that through your iPhone. Presumably.

Yes it IS proprietary and you must pay them their call out rates per second to call anyone who's not on skype. That means calling a landline in Australia is a timed call. On the other hand , many VOIP providers provide flat rate 10c untimed calls to anywhere in Australia and many overseas destinations.

In addition, you're able to switch companies via your SIP client and obtain better rates whenever you wish. With skype you're stuck paying their rates.

Don't get me wrong Skype works great, but why restrict yourself to a proprietary protocol? Competition in VOIP is good, so use the service that provides the best rates and quality and there are certainly better rates out there than Skype.

decryption
13th July 2008, 05:01 PM
Anyone heard anything about Skype on the iPhone? I would really like to have Skype on there :D

laprius
13th July 2008, 05:05 PM
I think you will be able to use it on the 3G network (3 has done this for ages now) but as far as Optus is concerned it gets charged *on top* of your account. It is excluded from your data allowance which of course makes the only viable alternative to use wifi :)

decryption
13th July 2008, 05:09 PM
I think you will be able to use it on the 3G network (3 has done this for ages now) but as far as Optus is concerned it gets charged *on top* of your account. It is excluded from your data allowance which of course makes the only viable alternative to use wifi :)

Skype is just IP data, how would they know to charge it extra to your included data cap? Skype on 3 is odd - its' built into their network using some voice channel part of UMTS, not as IP data, therefore reducing lag significantly.

dolbinau
13th July 2008, 05:09 PM

But how will they know?

laprius
13th July 2008, 05:17 PM
I would have thought it would have a packet header that would identify it much like the "torrent throttling" appliances (well to the best they can do atm anyways, apparently encrypted headers gets around this) same way they can detect when ppl are using phones as modems as opposed to accessing data just on the phone (like the guy who got a 31,000 pound bill cause he used his mobile as a modem to download a torrent..poor guy.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I would think they'd have some pretty good packet inspection gear on their net :S

"i)Skypeusers’behavior
and the traffic generated during voice and video commu-
nications, and ii) the signaling traffic generatedby Skype.
Concerningsignaling, wehaveshownthat Skypeprefers to
floodthenetworkwithshort single-probestowardmanyhosts
–whichmaybeas effectivefor thepurposeof theoverlay
maintenanceascostlyfromtheviewpoint of statefull layer-4
networkdevices. "

Damn I couldn't cut and paste this terribly well, but from what I read in this paper quickly,
Tracking down Skype traffic (http://www.tlc-networks.polito.it/mellia/papers/skype_info08.pdf) by Dario Bonfiglio, Marco Mellia, Michela Meo, Nicolo Ritacca and Dario Rossi [INFOCOM'08] it seems that skype exhibits particular behaviours when it establishes a connection to the network...based on the way it behaves its traffic can be sourced.

Further down the page of papers I read that if there was no NAT or firewall in place you could inspect each packet for header information which would point to Skype usage

There's a heap of stuff here: http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/skype/

but of course I don't expect anyone to be that into how Optus or another carrier would be able to suss out Skype traffic.

PHEW! :P

danno74
13th July 2008, 05:19 PM
Here you go guys:

iCall - Free Phone Calls (http://icall.com/)

Keving
13th July 2008, 11:35 PM
Here you go guys:

Wow, this will be awesome. I look forward to it :)

MizuInOz
14th July 2008, 12:23 AM
Here you go guys:

Windows only....
And they are "still" looking for funding..

Be afraid - very afraid..

danno74
14th July 2008, 12:27 AM
hehe, yes - only for Windows right now, but being released for iPhone soon. And they are SDK developers, so hopefully Apple will let them release it. I would kill for this app.