PDA

View Full Version : Portable Printers?

Mark T
11th April 2005, 12:23 PM
I'm on the lookout for a portable printer, something that I can use away from mains power, eg battery operated or 12v for in-car use.

Print quality need not be important.

Any such thing available?

NiftyNev
11th April 2005, 12:57 PM
You could keep an eye out for a Canon BJC -85.These were expensive new but occasionally are available cheap.I got one for $65 (without battery pack) with about $100 worth of cartridges a couple of months ago.

Neville

jobe
11th April 2005, 01:15 PM
there most surely are! I used to have one until I dropped it out of my car and it spilt ink everywhere.

It was a CANON BJC-50. It was a neat little package with a built in battery. the manual claimed it would print 200 pages on a fully charged battery, I never tested this however. Unfortunately it only had Parallel and infared interface so not much use to mac users (I was using it on a PC laptop).

I think I remember the BJC-80 and 85 were also portable printers with batteries however I think they too are only IRDA or parallel.

A quick google revealed the Canon i70 and i80 and pixma IP90 are in the current line of portable printers all with USB and some with blutooth. However from the few place I can see that sell them, they are quite expensive.

You might be able to pick one up cheaper on ebay.

Anyway, here a few links.
Canon i70 (http://www.shopbot.com.au/price/Canon-i70.html), canon i80 (http://www.shopbot.com.au/price/Canon-i80.html)

NiftyNev
11th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Apr 11 2005, 01:15 PM
I think I remember the BJC-80 and 85 were also portable printers with batteries however I think they too are only IRDA or parallel.

They also have a USB port which is not usually mentioned in the specs.I print from my PowerBook G4 and everything works fine.The 55 had an inbuilt battery and the 80 - 85 are an extra which clips to back of printer.

Neville

symean
12th April 2005, 09:42 PM
I remember doign work experience in a combo Mac + PC store back in 1992, and I had to set up some new laptops for a customer - and get this: they had a printer BUILT IN. I shite you not! You lifted up the keyboard to put in a tiny ink cartridge (black only), then fed the paper (one sheet at a time) through a slot along the front of the laptop (think slot-load CD type slot, only the width of A4 paper). It very slowly went through, made some godawful noises, and terrible black print jobs slowly spewed out the back of it! It was Windows, I remember that, and I've never seen anything like it since! :blink:

montfort
12th April 2005, 10:07 PM
officeworks have a special on the Canon i80 Mobile Bubblejet Printer for $299 (was $449)

hawker
12th April 2005, 10:09 PM
IMHO, portable printers do the job, but at a very low qauilty. Maybe things have changed in the last few months, but still...

p53
15th April 2005, 02:47 PM
Frequency Communications are selling the Cannon i80 at $409 instead of $449
http://frequency.com.au/sales/specials/

(I don't work for them or anything, was just browsing)

p53.