PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine partial backup restoration

iPirate
4th July 2008, 04:59 PM
I'm doing a full restore from backup at the moment, but the latest "full backup" the install disc is counting is at about 4 AM on the day I did the last backup (which was actually at 8:40 PM, just after Dr Who, before I formatted the drive).

Seeing as OS X (10.5.0 install disc) doesn't count anything after 4 AM on that day as a "full backup", I was wondering if there was any software that could use my latest 'partial' backup to restore all other files created and/or changed on that last day (in 10.5.3).

Any suggestions?

iPirate
4th July 2008, 06:30 PM
Never mind, it turns out I enabled the guest account last week and I'm gonna restore my home folder from there.

Wish me luck! I just did...

gumby08
4th July 2008, 09:11 PM
Never mind, it turns out I enabled the guest account last week and I'm gonna restore my home folder from there.

Wish me luck! I just did...

How did you go?

iPirate
5th July 2008, 09:24 AM
I deleted my home folder that I had restored (the 4AM Sunday version) and restored the 9PM Sunday version. Everything was restored to my home folder right down to the iChat logs at 8:30 pm on Sunday. I just ran a repair permissions and the MacBook Pro is just like it was last Sunday (well... with a different optical drive).

So yeah, it worked fine... the second time round (Note: do NOT try to copy a file to a partition on the same drive as the time machine volume (I have a tri-partitioned external drive) as this could cause the Finder (which at that time was copying my old home folder to the users folder) to crash and stop the copying process. So I had to restart the restoration.

Yay for time machine!