PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro from overseas

byrt_001
2nd July 2008, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone

I have been looking at getting a macbook pro but with the exchange rates I have seen that there are around us$2000 for a standard 2.4 ghz

I was wondering if anyone has bought or going to buy from overseas? Is there pros and cons from buying from usa?

Regards

noidea
3rd July 2008, 02:05 AM
don't forget to add shipping cost and import tax + GST

dtklamf
3rd July 2008, 06:20 AM
yeah the exchange rate is good but i wont buy anything over $999. no tax ect then it just gets scanned for drugs then straight to your door.

I was just looking for a MBP for the screensize to upgrade from a MB so I hunted around for blowouts and refurbs. ended up finding coreduo MBP's for between 900-1000 but ended up going with one on ebay.(no waiting time) but yeah 10% gst plus import tax kinda kills the deal on them I worked out.Is it worth saving the 200 bucks and waiting a week or just walking into a store and instant purchase?

AnthoMac
3rd July 2008, 08:16 AM
Price USA | Shop where you want (http://www.priceusa.com.au) ?

fishinthecity
3rd July 2008, 08:53 AM
Price USA | Shop where you want (http://www.priceusa.com.au) ?

PriceUSA won't get you around the import duties etc, they will still apply.

mwot
3rd July 2008, 09:29 AM
a relative of mine recently bought himself a Macbook Pro while he was in Hong Kong on a stopover back to Australia.

the price difference was about AUD$700 saving.

when he arrived in Australia and declared the purchase, he was not charged anything, so he pocketed the full saving.

w3twilly
4th July 2008, 07:19 PM
You might have to pay for a customs agent as well or spend at least an hour looking up all the things in the box for duties.

I wouldn't have declared the purchase unless it was for business.

You also have to think about warranty what if something goes wrong or arrives DOA

nightelves
6th July 2008, 07:16 PM
Well I bought my MBP 2.33ghz glossy 17" screen version with an additional two year warranty on it for 1700USD approximately $1800 but the GST and custom inspection was $300 which was a rip off but it was a bargain considering it had the additional 2 year warranty on it and the glossy screen. Don't buy anything without th warranty because I found it to be quite a blessing having it. Got my LCD screen and optical drive replaced for free when it was having problems.

shelly79
7th July 2008, 09:39 AM
Aren't apple warranties international? Even if it was DOA it would still be covered. I'm planning to get my other half to get me one when he is o'seas.

Ventrue
8th July 2008, 04:44 PM
i think it is a little bit cheaper here in AU, more expensive in China and u don't get HD screen

El Guardo
8th July 2008, 04:49 PM
Aren't apple warranties international?

Yes - but keyboards aren't. So depending on where your other half is going, consider you might have to undo however many years of familiarity with your existing keyboard layout in order to save a few hundred dollars.

peterz
8th July 2008, 04:53 PM
Yes - but keyboards aren't. So depending on where your other half is going, consider you might have to undo however many years of familiarity with your existing keyboard layout in order to save a few hundred dollars.

Wrong... you can order just about any keyboard under warranty over here. (bar desktop keyboards)

El Guardo
8th July 2008, 05:25 PM
I didn't mean keyboards aren't covered by warranty. Rather, that some regions have different keyboard configurations and that should be taken into consideration when buying from overseas. Poor wording on my part...

scruffie
8th July 2008, 05:39 PM
I think we use the us ones.
I am still trying to get used to the uk ones.

Link
8th July 2008, 05:46 PM
I will be in the market for a new Macbook Pro soon, too, and have found this mob on eBay

NEW Apple Macbook Pro 2.6GHz 2.6 15" Intel Core 2 Duo - eBay Other Apple Laptops, Laptops, Apple, Computers. (end time 13-Jul-08 22:11:10 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Apple-Macbook-Pro-2-6GHz-2-6-15-Intel-Core-2-Duo_W0QQitemZ180261941266QQihZ008QQcategoryZ111422 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

No idea if they are any good or not but they claim to refund any GST you might be hit with and their feedback looks ok...but I'll probably get one in Aus myself!

shelly79
9th July 2008, 01:26 PM
I didn't mean keyboards aren't covered by warranty. Rather, that some regions have different keyboard configurations and that should be taken into consideration when buying from overseas. Poor wording on my part...

He's going to Canada, so as long as he gets English not French I think I'm sweet.

beanolo
9th July 2008, 11:05 PM
I moved here from the US where I brought my MBP with me. There is absolutely no difference from the MBP I saw at Computer Now from the one I have. It was cheaper to buy it in the US, however you also have to factor in that you need to buy a new 85w magsafe adapter here, which runs for about $120AUD.

shelly79
10th July 2008, 09:28 AM
however you also have to factor in that you need to buy a new 85w magsafe adapter here, which runs for about $120AUD.

The whole thing or just the duckhead. have to admit haven't looked at connections previously. Even if up for a new adapter, still cheaper in Canada or US

beanolo
10th July 2008, 11:29 AM
The whole thing or just the duckhead. have to admit haven't looked at connections previously. Even if up for a new adapter, still cheaper in Canada or US

The whole thing. You can't just buy a portion of it at the resellers here or the Apple store.

Apple sells a Universal adapter kit, but it specifically mentioned it does not convert power, which I'm guessing wouldn't be an issue, but I didn't want to take the chance of frying my new MBP at the time to save $70~

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the MBP is able to handle 240v input, but the problem with just an adapter, you would need to carry that large thing around on top of the laptop. To me it defeated the purpose a bit of it's portability. It was much easier just to get a new magsafe adapter here to plugin anywhere, wifi spots, at work, other ppls homes, etc... :)

peterz
11th July 2008, 03:11 PM
Try the resellers for duckheads, I know of a couple resellers that stock just the duckheads. They can be purchased as Service parts to be sold...

byrt_001
16th July 2008, 01:52 AM
hi
thanks, i got a new macbook pro a day ago through ebay at the end. price>>2050!

Supblek
18th July 2008, 08:38 PM
hi
thanks, i got a new macbook pro a day ago through ebay at the end. price>>2050!

What are the specs of your new MBP??

Sounds OK..

WindowsVista
18th July 2008, 10:55 PM
Wow! I was watching that till the death! It was the 2.5Ghz model sealed in apple packaging and was an "insurance replacement", yeah? I was half tempted to buy and re-sell it!! Held back though:thumbdn: Sold for $2030
EDIT: Wrong! I see you got the 2.4ghz model!

riotgeek
20th July 2008, 05:41 AM
I bought my current MBP in the US during a trip in January this year. Paid $2200.00 (USD) ($2000 for comp + Illinois sales tax.)

$2200 USD Vs. $3400 AUD for a comparable machine...not a hard decision, IMHO.

I didn't have to pay import duties...mostly because I was waved through the customs line when I got back to Oz.

vietnow
20th July 2008, 06:01 AM
gotta watch out with overseas macbooks.

a friend of mine is American and he's got his MBP here in Aus. he has it just plugged into an adapter and its got some weird and if used right really funny grounding issues.

if hes got it sitting on his lap and your sitting next to him for long enough he can reach over and shock you with static with just his finger (because its not grounded correctly due to the adapter).

peterz
20th July 2008, 07:58 PM
The power adapters are universal...

Thunderstruck
21st July 2008, 02:27 AM
Apple's power adapter's got nothing to do with grounding issues, the electrical socket on the wall does.