PDA

View Full Version : MSN 7.0

darknight84
11th April 2005, 01:08 AM
I upgraded to MSN 7.0 the other day on my windows machine only it wouldnt connect. I tried uninstalling it and then re=installing MSN 6.2 and now that wont connect either. What the blardi hell is going on here? I feel like ive tried everything and still it wont work. Has anyone else that this sort of problem? or is it just me? :angry:

Rayd
11th April 2005, 01:15 AM
i know the problem, its a PeeCee

AusMac
11th April 2005, 01:59 AM
Actually, it is MSN. I simply use my MSN account but have not been able to use the MSN app, the MSN mail or indeed the MSN site for years now. I can only access my MSN account via other means. A part of that is because I use A Mac. Another part is due to the fact that I prefer to access MSN via other means. However the real reason still comes back to MSN.
PeeCee's are much maligned but in truth the real issue is that IBM based PC's also run the Microsoft part of MSN.

Currawong
11th April 2005, 05:25 AM
darknight, you might have trouble with this question here, as it is a Mac forum, not PC/Windows ;)

the_OM
11th April 2005, 08:49 AM
Try aMSN or something like that.
But seriously, its a frickin' mac forum? Try a forum where pc users congregate and post.

Kildare
11th April 2005, 09:26 AM
What error do you get went trying to connect?
Was the MSN 7.0 you tried the official Beta or a leaked later build?

Trying connecting to your account with e-messenger...
http://www.e-messenger.net/

marc
11th April 2005, 09:42 AM
What's everyone using as an MSN client?

I love Adium, but haven't tried aMSN.

Exocet
11th April 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Apr 11 2005, 08:49 AM
Try aMSN or something like that.
But seriously, its a frickin' mac forum? Try a forum where pc users congregate and post.
Maybe he thought that there was a few people who used both Mac and PC, and he knew this place as a friendly, helpful environment to ask questions in. I guess he was wrong.

Disko
11th April 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Exocet@Apr 11 2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe he thought that there was a few people who used both Mac and PC, and he knew this place as a friendly, helpful environment to ask questions in. I guess he was wrong.
A very good point.

darknight84: I'm assuming you're running Windows XP Sp2? Have you tried running msn on a 3rd party client like Trillian (http://trillian.cc/) ?

You should be able to get rid of MSN 7 - I'd heard that microsoft had gotten a lot better with being able to remove (or at least hide) components of the OS like msn that you don't want. Just check the Add/Remove programs bit. MSN 7 may even be listed under windows components.

the_OM
11th April 2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Exocet@Apr 11 2005, 10:25 AM
Well yeah. I mean I didn't help him, and neither did you.... so yeah he probably was wrong.

McMullet
11th April 2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by marc@Apr 11 2005, 09:42 AM
What's everyone using as an MSN client?

I love Adium, but haven't tried aMSN.
i use proteus. adium is pretty cool but i prefer proteus for some reason.

iMick
11th April 2005, 12:22 PM
Aduim is the bomb!! Especially the talking option.

darknight84
11th April 2005, 03:00 PM
For a MAC forum you are able to talk about anything else but when you hear Windows you guys go all pfft...another windoze user!

There are bound to be Windows users in here no doubt.

Some in the past have posted problems that were windows problems. As well as that you guys post things up some of which has got nothing to do with a MAC at all.

The error says that its unable to connect due to the service or internet connection.

I have used trillian in the past and will continue until there is a solution.

I know all the ins and outs of windows pretty much and all you guys talking about removing it isnt going to help.

MSN on the MAC and everywhere else seems to work fine..just not on the windows machine.

They only just release the program which is NOT in beta anymore. So any suggestions before I go somewhere else.

Disko
11th April 2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid i can't offer any more help than i have already. Though, mirandaIM is aparently quite good as well.

encro
11th April 2005, 03:14 PM
C'mon guys, the person asked for help and nearly all of you shut him/her down. Surely we are all smart enough to provide some help ;)

Hopefully your problem is solved by now. The MSN Servers for the last couple of weeks have been quite unstable and you might have been trying to connect while the systems were down. This has been affecting the US more than Australia but either way it seems that it is stable now :)

You can check the current status of the MSN Messenger network here: MSN Messenger Server Status (http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx)

Quamen
12th April 2005, 10:01 AM
I had no problems at all with MSN 7.0 on my PC. Try removing it and re-installing MSN from scratch.

If all else fails. Try asking in the tech sections over at Atomic. (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp) Those guys should be able to help you out.

BiRDBRAiN
12th April 2005, 11:09 AM
Are you behind a router or firewall?

I also found that Norton's antivirus and/or internet security needed to be setup to allow connections from the MSN network, and until I did that I had problems connecting.

AusMac
12th April 2005, 11:19 AM
If you have a registered MSN account then why not continue to use Trillian, like most of us use Proteus or adium for MSN connections.. ?

MSN the application is less likely to be reliable than the often dodgy tenuous MSN account connection.

Brentnal
12th April 2005, 11:23 AM
I've had no problems with MSN "Beta" 7 on Windows XP and the latest "MSN Messenger:Mac" version for the Apple.

I haven't tried any of the other 3rd party software for MSN, might give some a go though.

12th April 2005, 11:26 AM
i've found on both windows and os x that 3rd party msn clients are more reliable than microsoft's client. have a look around at alternatives, usually the 3rd party apps are a lot nicer too.

Disko
12th April 2005, 11:35 AM
you can even skin trillian to look like ichat. Everyone's a winner. :)

964RSCS
12th April 2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Apr 12 2005, 11:09 AM
Are you behind a router or firewall?

I also found that Norton's antivirus and/or internet security needed to be setup to allow connections from the MSN network, and until I did that I had problems connecting.
Yep, I had problems with that aswell....