PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Runs Really Slow

sideshow
2nd July 2008, 05:56 PM
I've been having real problems with my Mac Pro since moving to 10.5 and reorganising my internal drives (not sure if coincidental). I'm running 10.5 (with all updates) on a 150GB Raptor as my OS/application disk, the factory 250GB Seagate as my User Disk, and 1TB Seagate for Time Machine.

Since installing the drives and performing a clean install of the OS, my computer runs really slow and often hangs momentarily (bouncing beach ball) especially when using safari (with inquisitor) and a couple of other applications.

I have no idea where to begin looking to find the cause of the problem. I thought it might be MS Office 2008 but my MacBook has that too and is fine. Coud it be Time Machine that is killing my Mac Pro? (I dont use TM on MacBook).

Ive repaired permissions on disk and is all fine...I have 5GB RAM installed and it never gets maxed out....

Any suggestions where to start looking would be great...

My only other option is to back up my data and reformat all 3 drives and start again :(

leon
2nd July 2008, 06:02 PM
Is your main drive faulty? We had a Mac Mini at work which suddenly became really slow and would beach ball. About a month later the HDD failed. Reformat and see if the system is still slow. If so I would try another one of your disks as the primary drive.

On a side note, after doing all of your reorganising, is spotlight indexing your volumes? That would be causing things to slow down to a crawl.

ClockWork
2nd July 2008, 06:03 PM
Just after something "hangs", go immediately to: Applications -> Utilities -> Console.

Open the Console, click on the first icon on the left called: Logs, and in the column beneath it, click once on: system.log.

Copy the system.log back into here, and it can be sifted through.

cheers,

cw

sideshow
2nd July 2008, 06:09 PM
Clock work - will do.

Spotlight has indexed everything. Drives were installed prior to 10.5.3.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed....

Cheers

spuds_imac
2nd July 2008, 06:15 PM
Might be the way your ram is it configured how do you get you 5gb?? Should be in pairs.

sideshow
2nd July 2008, 06:18 PM
RAM is in 2 pairs 2x2GB, 2x 512mb....installed as per Apple configuration guide

spuds_imac
2nd July 2008, 06:22 PM
Take the 2x512mb out and try it? Read somewhere that they should be they same for max speed.

ClockWork
2nd July 2008, 06:23 PM
RAM is in 2 pairs 2x2GB, 2x 512mb....installed as per Apple configuration guide

hmmm... think it should be in matched pairs - not certain... anyone?

stefanlod
2nd July 2008, 06:23 PM
Do you have any other hardware, e.g. printers attached?

spuds_imac
2nd July 2008, 06:25 PM
hmmm... think it should be in matched pairs - not certain... anyone?

Think you are right ClockWork

Currawong
2nd July 2008, 06:27 PM
Might be worth seeing if any programs are suddenly doing anything around the time it starts hanging. Activity Monitor or iStat Menus will do that for you.

I used to get a hang randomly that would last for about 30 seconds. I found a console entry showing that the system was getting hung up on audio for some odd reason.

sideshow
7th July 2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry to bring up this thread again... As predicted my WD Raptor Boot Disk in my Mac Pro has died after less than 3 months as per Disk Utility (http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deadraptorou2.png)

Back to retailer tomorrow - my first and last time with a Western Digital Drive

leon
7th July 2008, 11:13 PM
Is your main drive faulty? We had a Mac Mini at work which suddenly became really slow and would beach ball. About a month later the HDD failed. Reformat and see if the system is still slow. If so I would try another one of your disks as the primary drive.

Told ya. Hope you were able to recover anything of value.