PDA

View Full Version : iBook External Display - Blurred?

Kildare
10th April 2005, 11:39 PM
Back in Sydney & decided to hook up my iBook to my 21" IBM CRT.

Works alright but the clairty doesn't seem too crispy. :(
Anyone else experience or am I just special. Thanks again! :)

gaehl
10th April 2005, 11:49 PM
Have you used any other CRT monitors lately or just the iBook and other LCD's as I find that LCD appear much sharper than CRT's. Does the CRT still look blurry if hooked up to something else?

icant
11th April 2005, 12:13 AM
Is it possible that you are unable to increase the resolution above 1024x768; and because of the size of the monitor everything just looks jaggy?

This is just a hunch.

Kildare
11th April 2005, 12:18 AM
I have been using this iBook (LCD) a fair bit the last week however the CRT is definately clearer when running via my PC.

I enabled that screen spanning hack so resolution is definately not an issue. ;)
Bit weird taking OS X from 12" to 21" regardless. :P

eyeLikeCarrots
11th April 2005, 02:16 PM
I use my 14inch ibook on a 21inch dell monitor, sometimes I dont always make sure that the adaptor to VGA is not plugged in fully.. check your cable..

Also there is a setting for font smoothing in the Appearence... ie best for CRT etc...

iMick
11th April 2005, 03:19 PM
I am pretty sure this has to do with resolution. You tried various settings?

Kildare
12th April 2005, 04:29 PM
I've fiddled with all the settings & it doesn't seem too bad atm.
Not quite as clear as direct to the PC but good enough.

Maybe I've spent too much time in front of the 12" LCD :P

petruk
12th April 2005, 05:36 PM
Not likely, but worth a check anyway. Go to the Universal Access System Preference pane and have a play with the contrast...

wise
8th May 2005, 12:29 PM
hey i'm having exactly the same problem.

have a 12" ibook 1ghz. Hooking it up to 17" dell LCD and running it at native resolution of 1280 * 1024. The dell lcd just looks blurry.... the text isnt crisp and it makes my head sore... if i look closely at the text i can see bits or red and green in it too (where it should be black)...

reallllly irritating because i love using the external display when doing uni work... in fact was going to buy one just for myself (currently hijack the family one) as they are only $349 from dell...

would realllly appreciate any assistance... i have tried the font stuff but it didn't make any noteable difference.

Phillip
8th May 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by wise@May 8 2005, 12:29 PM
have a 12" ibook 1ghz. Hooking it up to 17" dell LCD and running it at native resolution of 1280 * 1024. The dell lcd just looks blurry.... the text isnt crisp and it makes my head sore... if i look closely at the text i can see bits or red and green in it too (where it should be black)...
You must be doing mirroring instead of expanding the desktop. Get the Screen Spanning Doctor here (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) and install it on the iBook. Once you have done that, you can set the Dell to be the main screen in System Preferences, which will take it up to its native resolution of 1280 x 1024.

If you have already done that, and the screen is still blurry, then its the display's problem.

geektechnu
8th May 2005, 05:42 PM
You need to make sure that the iBook is outputing the exact native resolution of the LCD monitor.

If you use anything besides the native res, the image needs to be scaled and re-interpolated to fit the pixels of the display. No different to resizing an image in Photoshop. Some displays do this better than others (the new Samsung LCDs do this really well).

Phillip is absolutely right about screen spanning - it should let you set the output res to match your display.

gelfie
8th May 2005, 06:26 PM
The higher your refesh rate, the blurrier the display will be, as there is more data being sent to the screen, and you get signal bleeding.

So, if you're using 85hz, drop to 70 and see if that helps.

My old Diamondtron was blurry as anything above 70hz when using 1280*1024

It could handle 1280*960 at 70hz though and be nice and crisp.

wise
8th May 2005, 10:47 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys.

after some more fiddling and testing the monitor is definately fine....75hz was actually better than 60. i spanned the external monitor from my ibook and then rdced to a pc and it looked crystal clear.

the only thing tht looks slightly blurry is the apple text....i can see why when i look at it on my ibook monitor but it dioens't hurt my eyes. it only does on the external monitor....

are they technically any different? and would it look better if i plugged an apple monitor in (i know i cant to my ibook...but say to a power book)....

the reason i'm trying to find out is i will buy the 17" dell screen for $350 and set up like that...if not then i will have to sell ibook, buy powerbook and buy 20" apple screen...which would cost me about $2000....sigh....

i'm going to get my eyes tested as well!!

thanks again!

bergerac
8th May 2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by gelfie@May 8 2005, 04:26 PM
The higher your refesh rate, the blurrier the display will be, as there is more data being sent to the screen, and you get signal bleeding.

So, if you're using 85hz, drop to 70 and see if that helps.

My old Diamondtron was blurry as anything above 70hz when using 1280*1024

It could handle 1280*960 at 70hz though and be nice and crisp.
Rubbish. This only makes a difference if your display isn't designed to run at the higher refresh rate in the first place.

Ive noticed this problem with my 12" ibook and 19" CRT. Make sure you check the 'Font smoothing style' settings in System Prefrences->Appearance. If its set to 'best for flat panel' it wont look too good on your CRT.

Edge
9th May 2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by wise@May 8 2005, 10:47 PM
are they technically any different? and would it look better if i plugged an apple monitor in (i know i cant to my ibook...but say to a power book)....
Technically they are very different.

Your iBook outputs a VGA signal, which is an analog signal. So the video card in the iBook converts digital information into analog and sends it through the VGA port. The LCD display then has to convert that analog signal back to digital in order to display it on the screen.

The DVI port on modern Powerbooks (from the TiBook 667 onwards) maintains the signal digitally all the way to the screen. This reduces the distortion and degradation of the signal which is inherent in VGA, due to interference etc.

As to whether DVI looks better; usually, yes. (But not always; the variables include the quality of the video card and display.) The difference is less noticeable at lower resolutions than it is at the monster resolutions now available on LCD screens.

wise
9th May 2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Edge@May 9 2005, 12:13 AM
Technically they are very different.

Your iBook outputs a VGA signal, which is an analog signal. So the video card in the iBook converts digital information into analog and sends it through the VGA port. The LCD display then has to convert that analog signal back to digital in order to display it on the screen.

The DVI port on modern Powerbooks (from the TiBook 667 onwards) maintains the signal digitally all the way to the screen. This reduces the distortion and degradation of the signal which is inherent in VGA, due to interference etc.

As to whether DVI looks better; usually, yes. (But not always; the variables include the quality of the video card and display.) The difference is less noticeable at lower resolutions than it is at the monster resolutions now available on LCD screens.
why thankyou......decisions decisions now! mmmmm