PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook & 7200RPM HDD

decryption
10th April 2005, 08:53 PM
Just wondering if anyone has put a 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive into their laptop? Specifically the Hitachi Travelstar E7K60.
Did you notice any difference in heat output?
Or any difference in battery life?
And final question, if I was to get the drive installed by a certified Apple Tech, would it void my warranty?

Phillip
10th April 2005, 09:55 PM
Getting your Drive installed won't void warranty, but it will cost you a fortune. The job would take 1-2 hours (bare in mind it might take 15 minutes, but they also charge for the time to install a fresh copy of the OS) and 1 hour of labour might set you back up to $100. I think it's just better to get an external and then do it yourself when warranty has expired.

decryption
10th April 2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 10 2005, 09:55 PM
Getting your Drive installed won't void warranty, but it will cost you a fortune. The job would take 1-2 hours (bare in mind it might take 15 minutes, but they also charge for the time to install a fresh copy of the OS) and 1 hour of labour might set you back up to $100. I think it's just better to get an external and then do it yourself when warranty has expired.
Labor doesn't concern me, I've some mates who are Apple Techs ;)
I'm more concerned about heat and battery useage...

eyeLikeCarrots
11th April 2005, 08:30 AM
Not so much for Mac, but we've had a few Dell's recently with 7200's...

They do run a bit hotter and the system fans seems to kick in fatster and for longer when you are doing alot of cpu and i/o work.

purana
11th April 2005, 08:52 AM
A friend put a 7200rpm into his new ibook. He said its a little hotter and a little louder, but works nonetheless. He didn't say about the battery life, but I suspect if the drive pulls a little more current then this would be a little noticable.