PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access for Mac

Turner44
1st July 2008, 06:14 PM
Dear All,

I'm new at this so play fair!

I am going away from my office for a month, and would like to have remote access to my PowerBook G4 that will constantly be connected in the office.

I will have my new MacBook with me, but as the PowerBook has all the office files, Accounting Software etc on it, I would like to be able to access this while I am away.

Is there any way to do this? I am aware of Back To My Mac, but as the PowerBook doesn't have Leopard, I believe this wont work.

Is there an application I can buy that will allow me to remotely access and use the PowerBook back in the office from my outside location?

Regards

Turner44

jeremy_warnock
1st July 2008, 06:23 PM
yes mate go to www.logmein.com for a free account. it works great

SyncMan
2nd July 2008, 07:26 AM
Apple Remote Desktop

VLC

But all will be totally pointless unless your connection at both ends and in-between is VERY good.

You would be better off taking a snapshot of your Powerbook G4 on a external HD. A complete one to one clone, absolutely no files missing! (ie Don't use the Finder for the copy, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner.)

avolve
2nd July 2008, 08:14 AM
To perhaps complicate this, i recently set up VNC of the chicken and enabled remote desktop. Whilst on the same network i can remotely access the target machine.

The issue is how to i maintain this from a distance given dynamic IP addresses. I have glanced at No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP (http://www.no-ip.com/) and DynDNS: DNS Hosting, Email Delivery and Other Services (http://www.dyndns.com/) (OS X compatible/).

Anyone have suggestions, comments based on experiences?

jeremy_warnock
2nd July 2008, 08:39 AM
Like I said above, I use www.logmein.com, its free, it never fails, machine just need to be on the net it works for both macs and pcs. I remote administrator about 15 machines with it

AnthoMac
2nd July 2008, 08:48 AM
+1 for logmein. It's secure and fast (options to set down colour options to allow greater speed). No need to mess around IP settings or proxies that sort of thing. Basic copy and paste of text support. File transfer is only available in the pro version though.

adamd
3rd July 2008, 07:56 PM
My work recently informed me, that I will (soon) no longer be able to use my MacBook at work. Reasons were not really given, but I'm guessing it's something to do with security.

My thought is, I control my Mac, from one of the work machines, so I can still do what I want (ie: making websites and all the other cool stuff I do.)

I know there's .Mac/Mobile Me (back to my mac), but is there any other way, that I can control my mac, from somewhere else?

Thanks in advanced.

Lutze
3rd July 2008, 07:59 PM
LogMeIn it works for mac and PC's.

It even worked in my massively locked down employers network.

However... I'd check that your employer will not look on such use negatively!

stefanlod
3rd July 2008, 08:21 PM
When I went overseas last, I had my my computer with Screen Sharing on, and with VNC forwarded to the Internet. Then I used DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.com/) to keep tabs on my public IP. Worked like a charm from Apple Stores, and surely with other VNC clients.

It's essentially MobileMe without the automation.

adamd
3rd July 2008, 08:21 PM
Hmmm... I remember using that a while ago... that's a free one still yeah?

avolve
3rd July 2008, 08:33 PM
Can you do remote desktop type actions with LogMeIn??

jeremy_warnock
3rd July 2008, 08:35 PM
Can you do remote desktop type actions with LogMeIn??

any particular actions you need?? logmein lest you work as if you where sat infront of the machine - only thing you cant do is copy a file from the remote machine to your machine but everything else is great

thorevenge
3rd July 2008, 08:45 PM
Non-admin merge...

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/28/52277-controling-your-mac-other-side-world.html

Beau
3rd July 2008, 08:56 PM
I currently have VNC installed on my home windoze pc, and have home.beaugiles.net pointing to my home static IP, with the ports forwarded to the PC.

So, to connect I just need to open finder, go "Go > Connect to server" and type in home.beaugiles.net, type in my password and I'm away :D

jeremy_warnock
3rd July 2008, 09:00 PM
I currently have VNC installed on my home windoze pc, and have home.beaugiles.net pointing to my home static IP, with the ports forwarded to the PC.

So, to connect I just need to open finder, go "Go > Connect to server" and type in home.beaugiles.net, type in my password and I'm away :D

ohh nasty & complicated, logmein I put in my email and password and choose the machine I want to connect to and thats it

Wally
3rd July 2008, 09:02 PM
+1 for logmein, its great for tech support too!

coljac
3rd July 2008, 10:26 PM
I just use Screen Sharing. It's great. I'm in Europe at the moment and still using my Mac Pro in Melbourne.

When you enable the extra buttons (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071127183240696&query=remote%2Bdesktop%2Bterminal) and can control the image quality, the performance is excellent. The only problem is firewalls - I have a rule on my firewall to forward the correct port to my Mac Pro. (In fact, I have a script that creates a temporary rule from my current IP address, so the port isn't open the whole world).

leon
3rd July 2008, 10:33 PM
Turner, I'm not sure what software you are using, but would it be easier to clone your Powerbook HDD onto an external drive and take it with you? That way you will have all of your files with you, if space on your Macbook HDD is at a premium.
Can you put the accounting software onto your Macbook?

Mac Aid
3rd July 2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks for that <goes off and hacks into his machine>.

Not really of course, but I'm illustrating a point.

You shouldn't leave ports like this open to the world in general, and if you do, you certainly shouldn't publish your address online. (of course, you might have made the address up, but the point stands)

Beau
4th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for that <goes off and hacks into his machine>.

Not really of course, but I'm illustrating a point.

You shouldn't leave ports like this open to the world in general, and if you do, you certainly shouldn't publish your address online. (of course, you might have made the address up, but the point stands)
/me is not stupid enough to leave open what should be kept closed. If anyone wants to access it, they'd need a password obviously, which I change regularly. Go figure.

heyyu
4th July 2008, 04:05 PM
im new to this to, imac 3 days ,but i connected my xp pc to the imac using team viewer afree remote program which allows you to control another computer from any where. can control my windows pc from my mac",very usefull" team viewer must be installed on both machines.software generates a number,which apparently acts like a phone number.also a random password, this can be changed to a permanent one.both machines have to give permission to accesseach other.worth a try.there is a mac and a windows version of TEAM VIEWER.

Albert_Thurgood
4th July 2008, 05:58 PM
OK - logmein looks good. Except it won't install on my Mac Pro [with Tiger] using the .msi which is automatically downloaded.

The FAQ "can I use this for Macs or Linux" says no to Linux but says nought about Macs. (Obviously you guys have got it to work though). Elsewhere they say Tiger is OK.

So I downloaded the .zip archive instead and there is a bunch of files many with that ugly .exe suffix and none of which look Mac-like.

Searching for help on their ""Knowledge" Base" forums brings up this results:

Search Results for: "macintosh"
Search Results in "All Solutions"

No records found

So how the heck do you install this stuff on a target Mac?