PDA

View Full Version : I may have killed my Clamshell

anaami
10th April 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, I've been playing around with my old trusty 300MHz G3 iBook. It's been running OS 9.2 for several years however recently OS 9 has been showing some limitations.

So I loaded OS 10.1.5 on it and it worked fine and didn't slow the machine down at all. The only problem was I couldn't get it to communicate with my Brother laser printer or my Epson inket (downloaded the right drivers and all). Classic mode worked fine and I could run MS Office 2001 and some other OS 9 software which I'm attached to.

So I decided to load OS 10.2 on there. Big mistake. Now I can't get Classic Mode to work at all. It comes up with the error message 'An error was encountered while attempting to update your system folder with Classic-specific resources'.

Now I can't go back to 10.1 as the install disks say that it can't install over a more recent version of OS X. I also don't know how to go back to OS 9 (when I do a routine install from the OS 9 disks it simply installs it in addition to OS X).

The iBook only has 192MB RAM so I figure this could well be the problem but I'm loathed to buy more only to find out that may not have been the problem at all.

Can anyone help?

soulman
10th April 2005, 08:04 PM
10.2 will run with 192MB of RAM so that's not likely to be the problem.

It's hard to say what's wrong without seeing your machine but try booting into OS9 by selecting it in the Startup Disk pref pane in System Preferences. If you can do that then you could just delete all the OS X stuff in the OS 9 Finder (I think - it's been a while since I've used 9) which should take you roughly back to where you were before. If Finder doesn't show all the *nix stuff then you can probably use Sherlock to search for invisibles and trash them from there.

If you can't select the OS9 System Folder in Startup Disk, then you may need to restore from backup. If you don't have a recent backup then that could be a bummer.

If you want to keep trying this kind of stuff then I would suggest you do all the usual Good Things™ like backing up everything first, verifying that your disk has no problems, repairing disk permissions in X before & after every install and so on.

If your machine is supported by the OS you're trying to install then it should be possible to do it and get it all working as you wish. It may just take time and careful troubleshooting.

Good luck.

icant
10th April 2005, 08:45 PM
Well, since you have backups of everything (you do, don’t you?), and you want to switch to a brand new OS, you don’t lose much (aside from installation time) by reinstalling from scratch.

This means wiping the HD, and installing Jaguar. Or 10.1 followed by Jaguar (if you only have Jaguar upgrade disks).

Following that, you can copy over the last working OS 9.2 system folder from your backups.

vicmeldrew
10th April 2005, 09:17 PM
I have only had a little experience with this this but I would agree with icant. I would erase the Hard drive with disc utility. Reinstall the system 9. I would then use software update to ensure system software and firmware was up to date. Then reinstall 10.2. Then again use software update again.
Richard

kim jong il
10th April 2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by icant@Apr 10 2005, 08:45 PM
snip

This means wiping the HD, and installing Jaguar. Or 10.1 followed by Jaguar (if you only have Jaguar upgrade disks).

snip
I'm not sure whether this is a misunderstanding above or not so I am putting in an explanation of how the system software revisions work so there should be no questions (hopefully).
If you have a 10.2 installer there is no point installing 10.1 first. 10.1 cannot be upgraded by free updates to any version of 10.2. in much the same way that 10.2 cannot be upgraded to 10.3 via free updates.

The OS revisions work like this:

Commercial release 10.1.0 can be updated to 10.1.4 (?)

Commercial release (jaguar) 10.2.0 can be updated to 10.2.8

Commercial release (panther) 10.3.0 can be updated to 10.3.8

To upgrade to Tiger (10.4.0) will require the purchase of a new software license

cheers, kim

butters
10th April 2005, 11:30 PM
The first thing I would do is update the firmware..

Matt.

icant
10th April 2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Apr 10 2005, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure whether this is a misunderstanding above or not so I am putting in an explanation of how the system software revisions work so there should be no questions (hopefully).
If you have a 10.2 installer there is no point installing 10.1 first. 10.1 cannot be upgraded by free updates to any version of 10.2. in much the same way that 10.2 cannot be upgraded to 10.3 via free updates.

The OS revisions work like this:

Commercial release 10.1.0 can be updated to 10.1.4 (?)

Commercial release (jaguar) 10.2.0 can be updated to 10.2.8

Commercial release (panther) 10.3.0 can be updated to 10.3.8

To upgrade to Tiger (10.4.0) will require the purchase of a new software license

cheers, kim
Some of the Jaguar CDs, were labelled “Upgrade only”. This meant the installer on the CD would only work in the presence of an existing 10.1 installation.

So, if the original poster had “Upgrade only” CDs, he would have to install 10.1 first. Otherwise, he doesn’t.

There were ways to get around this, instructions for which can be found elsewhere.

anaami
11th April 2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys for all the great info.

I have got backups of all my info so I can certainly try wiping the drive if updating the firmware doesn't work.

My version of Jaguar is a full version not an upgrade version so I shouldn't need to install 10.1 first.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be back to first base with my trusty clamshell soon. :rolleyes: