PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV 3.02 subtitles and closed captions?

epaell
29th June 2008, 02:09 PM
I wonder, has anyone been able to get subtitles and/or closed captioning working with the EyeTV software? I've found that I can kind of "hack in" the subtitles by pressing Command-T (Teletext) and selecting page 801 (at least on ABC TV) but this is a rather clunky means of doing so ... however, the View->Closed Captions and View->Subtitles menus in EyeTV 3.02, which seem like the logical way to do this, are greyed out. A search on the webs reveals that people around the world (Europe/US anyway) seem to be able to access this functionality - is it something about the Oz digital TV format that EyeTV doesn't like?

nard
3rd February 2009, 10:42 AM
Six months later, does anyone have something to offer on this question? I, too, would love to know why we can't access subtitles with EyeTV in Australia.

Edit: Incidentally, this problem was not limited to EyeTV 3.02 in my experience and has not been rectified with version 3.1.

epaell
3rd February 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm afraid I still haven't found an alternative solution. Even more frustratingly it is not possible (at least as far as I know) to include the "Teletext" version of the subtitles in exports (for example to the iPod or an Apple TV). I find this really annoying as I frequently make use of subtitles when watching TV - partially because it means I can put the volume down while my baby is sleeping and still know what is happening ... and secondly because it helps my wife to improve her understanding of English (it is her second language) and she finds this an invaluable feature to help her catch words she missed. It must also be terribly frustrating for those with hearing impairments!

nard
3rd February 2009, 11:01 AM
...I find this really annoying as I frequently make use of subtitles when watching TV - partially because it means I can put the volume down while my baby is sleeping and still know what is happening ... and secondly because it helps my wife to improve her understanding of English (it is her second language) and she finds this an invaluable feature to help her catch words she missed...

I, too, miss it for those exact reasons and more. :) Are we truly the only MacTalk members who want the subtitles?