PDA

View Full Version : 30" Imac would anyone buy one ?

Maticks
29th June 2008, 12:39 PM
Look i hate the Imac but not for the sake of saying "i hate the Imac" i hate specifically what it doesn't have.

I can understand by its size why it doesn't have it, but if Apple released a 30" Imac they'd have a heap more space to play with.

I'd like to see Two Hard Drive Bays, One PCI-X Slot, Dual Processor.
Even if the PCI-X slot had a removable face plate so it was to hide the look of a gaping hole.

I would consider getting a 30" Imac if they included that and it would be a nice machine.

Wally
29th June 2008, 12:44 PM
if you give me one Maticks i'll take it!

bennyling
29th June 2008, 12:52 PM
Pffft.

Stuff a 30" iMac - bring on the xMac/Mac Pro Mini/ProMac on any single day of the week!!

Apple - I implore you.

gelfie
29th June 2008, 01:19 PM
Reword the poll

I'd buy a 30" imac if the price was right and it was along the same lines in terms of features etc as the top 24" is now.

Nothing to do with being a mac junkie.

Keep poll questions impartial people.

matthew858
29th June 2008, 01:21 PM
I would be (much) thinner if you kept with the 24" high end specs.

Geoff3DMN
29th June 2008, 01:25 PM
I'd buy one if it had a top end gaming card in it and if it wasn't as expensive as a low end MacPro (which I suspect it would be).

matthewk
29th June 2008, 01:25 PM
Could you imagine the cost of a 30" iMac?

On a screen that large it would be better if the screen was separate so it can be plugged into other computers as the computer hardware will date much faster than the screen.

Bart Smastard
29th June 2008, 01:58 PM
I voted "I'd buy a 30" iMac if it had two drive bays and more features. but I seriously doubt Apple would allow such a beast to exist because it would carve into MacPro sales... not to mention Cinema Displays.

themessup
29th June 2008, 02:01 PM
I think an inbetween size iMac like a 22" would be more likely than a 30". Too much desk space.

Tom

TheWatchman
29th June 2008, 02:02 PM
I'd like a ultraportable akin to the Eee.

SOSUMI
29th June 2008, 02:08 PM
Look i hate the Imac but not for the sake of saying "i hate the Imac" i hate specifically what it doesn't have.

I can understand by its size why it doesn't have it, but if Apple released a 30" Imac they'd have a heap more space to play with.

Even if the PCI-X slot had a removable face plate so it was to hide the look of a gaping hole.

I would consider getting a 30" Imac if they included that and it would be a nice machine.

The iMac is a mass produced consumer off the shelf product.
Thats what the Mac Pro is about...expandability and flexibility.

happyfrappy
30th June 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't have the desk space for a 30" monitor/iMac so that ruins the idea for myself and others in my situation :(

I'd also agree the guts of such an iMac would age quicker than the screen- thus reinforcing the western world of life(throw-away consumerism). Its bad enough the current awkard box Apple uses on the iMacs is a pain, easy for shopping at a mall with a single handle, bringing it home is an extra task of its own(old 1900s era building= nightmare). Besides hardware life, a 30" iMac would take a bite into Mac Pro sales and Apple would in turn cripple the screen resolution/glass panel to keep it consumer-grade.

halledise
30th June 2008, 05:36 PM
nuh . . neh . . nope

gareth
30th June 2008, 06:06 PM
id only buy one if it wasnt glossy screen

Huy
30th June 2008, 06:08 PM
I would buy one if someone buys my 24". :D

Goodbye
30th June 2008, 06:09 PM
Reword the poll

I'd buy a 30" imac if the price was right and it was along the same lines in terms of features etc as the top 24" is now.

Nothing to do with being a mac junkie.

Keep poll questions impartial people.

Hear, hear!

meinrosebud
30th June 2008, 06:11 PM
Can you add 'Shit yeah, as a television replacement!'

Venom71
30th June 2008, 06:13 PM
I'd buy a 30" iMac if it were a touch screen computer that did not force me to have to be in a chair in front of it - with a keyboard and mouse.

themessup
30th June 2008, 07:03 PM
Hmmm 30" Tablet......

Andrew T Chadwick
30th June 2008, 07:43 PM
Too big,too expensive and too close to the mac pro with 30" screen

ClockWork
30th June 2008, 07:50 PM
A screen size of 30" would cause the user to shrink back from it in increments over half an hour.

I have set up several 24" iMacs for other graphic artists, and they're now complaining (and rightly so) that they feel as if the crispness of the screen is burning their eyeballs off.

I'd welcome more power and greater RAM expansion to the Mac Mini.

Evolve the Mac Mini, Apple!
Is it not the Cube that succeeded?

cw

rtc
30th June 2008, 07:52 PM
Would I buy a 30" imac?
No

A 24" imac?
No.

A 20" imac?
No.

A 17" imac?
No.

Okay okay, so if I was to buy an imac, would i get a 30-incher?
No.

Why not?
Because the main advantage of the imac is its lack of size. Lose the advantage, and you lose me (well you didn't have me anyway, but you know what I mean).

decryption
30th June 2008, 07:54 PM
Would I buy a 30" imac?
No

A 24" imac?
No.

A 20" imac?
No.

A 17" imac?
No.

Okay okay, so if I was to buy an imac, would i get a 30-incher?
No.

Why not?
Because the main advantage of the imac is its lack of size. Lose the advantage, and you lose me (well you didn't have me anyway, but you know what I mean).

I don't quite understand - you want a 12" or 10" iMac?

ClockWork
30th June 2008, 07:58 PM
I don't quite understand - you want a 12" or 10" iMac?

I believe what Rtc is saying, if I'm not incorrect, is that he wouldn't buy an iMac at all - albeit 30 million inches or 10. ;)

Huy
30th June 2008, 08:02 PM
I think he wants the slim iMac - to remain that way, even if he isn't a user.

By adding bigger (and possibly chunkier/fatter) iMacs, you lose that appeal of saving space etc and you might as well put a Mac Pro behind the iMac display (exaggerating here!).

rtc
30th June 2008, 08:08 PM
cw and huy you're both spot on.

Dutch H
30th June 2008, 08:28 PM

They already have this. It is called a Mac Pro.

Apple wouldn't release it as it doesn't fit into their product lines. They budget, Mac mini, Middle Class iMac and Professional, Mac Pro.

Geoff3DMN
30th June 2008, 08:33 PM
budget, Mac mini, Middle Class iMac and Professional, Mac Pro.

They are missing out on the category -: cashed up home user.

Those people are tending to buy iMacs optioned up or MacPro's optioned down but neither option is really meeting their needs.

That of course doesn't mean that Apple will release a machine that does...

morgan
30th June 2008, 08:47 PM
The iMac fills a particular part of the market, it doesn;t have a lot of things, but the things it lacks are the things that are in a Mac Pro.

Criticising the iMac for not having extra drive bays, is like criticising the Macbook Air for not having an optical drive. Buy the product that suits your needs.

Dutch H
30th June 2008, 08:54 PM
The iMac fills a particular part of the market, it doesn;t have a lot of things, but the things it lacks are the things that are in a Mac Pro.

Criticising the iMac for not having extra drive bays, is like criticising the Macbook Air for not having an optical drive. Buy the product that suits your needs. I agree.

macpunc
30th June 2008, 09:24 PM
Extra HD storage space would be cool, especially if they were modules that could changed without opening up the machine, much like xserves.

cosmichobo
30th June 2008, 10:00 PM
30" - 75cm... Why on earth would you want a screen that big on a computer?!

Huy
30th June 2008, 10:02 PM
'Because I can' is usually an excuse.

There is something as being too big though, because you'll have to sit further back to take it all in.

decryption
1st July 2008, 06:03 AM
30" monitor? Yes please :D
I can never get enough screen real estate!
30" iMac + 30" Samsung LCD = t3h winaR

BLINDER
1st July 2008, 06:24 AM
No.
I would have bought one if it were available a year or so ago,and if the screen were beyond great, but the Mac Pro does all I need and want.
And I never really desired the "mobility" that an iMac would bring.

the gaffer guy
1st July 2008, 07:53 AM
A big no from here.
We bought a 24" and find the size way to big.
I would love to be able to get a 20" and have another 20" screen that looked exactly the same next to it. I like the width rather than the height.

delux
1st July 2008, 08:44 AM
the 24 is hard enough to keep track of let alone a 30 IMHO

SilverJ
1st July 2008, 08:54 AM
I enjoy my 24" widescreen but at times can't help but think a better screen would be better when watching movies in my bedroom. You can never have too much screen real estate!

AnthoMac
1st July 2008, 09:07 AM
Can you add 'Shit yeah, as a television replacement!'

iMac 30' + elgato diversity tv tuner + eyetv = ultimate HDTV!
Though a 30' is considered small for a lounge room television.

howbout a headless iMac? All the specs from the high end iMac crammed into the current mac mini arrangement.

stewiesno1
1st July 2008, 09:50 AM
I think that it depends a lot on what you do for a living in the 30" screen debate. For a lot of people who need two or more documents open at once , then the more screen real estate the better. Whether having two 20" or two 24" side by side would give you a better work setup or say one 30" totally depends on what works best for you. I know for me drawing house plans , a 30" for the main screen and then a 20" beside it for all my palettes would be nirvana. I use a 21" and a 17" CRT at the moment which is still a good setup for what I do but a single 30" would still be cool.
As for a 30" imac - yeah baby. Cool as but it would eat into Apples MacPro + 30" screen segment a bit I think.

Stewie

oneplusone
1st July 2008, 09:55 AM
hot swappable drive bays (desktop Pismo anyone?)

it'd also be cool if it had a built in KVM...

MacEmpathy
2nd July 2008, 10:52 AM
Pffft.

Stuff a 30" iMac - bring on the xMac/Mac Pro Mini/ProMac on any single day of the week!!

Apple - I implore you.

+1 with 1337bix and aw3s0m3 sauce

But, on the 30" issue, I'd say all that is described (possibly 2 pci-e slots) + full dvi out, not that mini dvi crap:mad:

Huy
2nd July 2008, 10:57 AM
What don't you like about the mini-DVI?

Doesn't it perform the same functions as full DVI, except it has a cable/converter from mini to full?

I reckon it would be cool if Apple could standardise their entire range to use something like micro-DVI, as on the Air.

That way they can just sell one plug/cable type. And micro-DVI looks pretty cool too (a la USB).

MacEmpathy
2nd July 2008, 11:14 AM
What don't you like about the mini-DVI?

Doesn't it perform the same functions as full DVI, except it has a cable/converter from mini to full?

I reckon it would be cool if Apple could standardise their entire range to use something like micro-DVI, as on the Air.

That way they can just sell one plug/cable type. And micro-DVI looks pretty cool too (a la USB).

That would be an absolute disaster (as then the Mac Pro would not be able to power its 30" display:P). Mini DVI is only capable of dusplaying up to 1920x1200 digital or a slightly larger analog res which escapes me at this moment. (2048x something).

AnthoMac
2nd July 2008, 11:19 AM

Man, I would love for Apple to standardise everything so users around the world will know how to switch from one device to the next effortlessly. Bring on standard touch application, FW 800, microDVI, magsafe and more!

edit: okay, have like standard DVI and micro-dvi as standard. Im surprised the imac, macbook pro and mac pro don't have HDMI!