PDA

View Full Version : VM FUSION - XP SP3 wont install due to errors 10 and 11

basseyy
28th June 2008, 12:49 PM
I have never tried to install a more useless piece of shite in all my life. Errors 10 and 11 keep coming up - and what makes it worse, is I actually bought this shit..they say they provide support,, try finding it on their website though...i feel ripped off. F U vm fusion !!!

decryption
28th June 2008, 12:51 PM
I smell PEBCAK? :p

Perhaps calming down and giving us some info as to what is exactly happening when you try to install it?

Huy
28th June 2008, 12:52 PM
Are you kidding me? Fusion is the complete opposite in my experience.

What did you do, and what have you tried to do to correct the issue?

Latest version?
VMware - Virtualization Software (http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=FUS-113)

mechcon
Errors 10 and 11? any more info on top of that? calm down mate, it's a great app, much better than Parallels in many ways, but either way.. tell us which version in particular you're running, and yeah more details on the Errors 10 and 11 (whatever they mean) :)

LarryH
What machine are you running it on?

PurpleLogix
28th June 2008, 01:03 PM
Give us some more info. Fusion is a great app, only error i had was XP crashing!!

wabbit
28th June 2008, 01:05 PM
I have never tried to install a more useless piece of shite in all my life. Errors 10 and 11 keep coming up - and what makes it worse, is I actually bought this shit..they say they provide support,, try finding it on their website though...i feel ripped off. F U vm fusion !!!

ROFL, so you've had problems yet for me. It installed perfect, runs all my Windows/Linux VM perfectly everytime. Not one problem with it. In my eyes your post would have been much better off saying: "I've got a few problem with VM, below is the list of them... Can someone shed some advise?"

Its not like VM decided ahh stuff it, we'll just package this product as is and ship it off asking people to pay money for something that doesn't work.

rob05
28th June 2008, 01:09 PM
VMware Fusion is no problems what so ever and runs much smoother than Parallels ever will.

I am currently running vmware fusion 2.0b1 and it is fine without issues of any kind apart from a few windows ones which have nothing to do with the fusion app.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 02:17 PM
I smell PEBCAK? :p

Perhaps calming down and giving us some info as to what is exactly happening when you try to install it?

I am calm - just disappointed it wont work for me - part of my problem is I really dont know how to explain whats going wrong, VM install ok, but when I try instal Windows xp sp2, these errors appear, something vxm error, and error 10 and 11 (whatever they are)..I ve an iMac (intel 07)

decryption
28th June 2008, 02:20 PM
I am calm - just disappointed it wont work for me - part of my problem is I really dont know how to explain whats going wrong, VM install ok, but when I try instal Windows xp sp2, these errors appear, something vxm error, and error 10 and 11 (whatever they are)..I ve an iMac (intel 07)

Can you take a screenshot of what happens and post it here?

basseyy
28th June 2008, 02:22 PM
Can you take a screenshot of what happens and post it here?

I know i am a complete novice, but I'll try that and post it

LarryH
28th June 2008, 02:25 PM
Also check if you've got the latest version, you might have got an old version that hasn't got leopard support. that's what happened to me.

purana
28th June 2008, 02:27 PM
I am curious to see these errors... hrmm

rob05
28th June 2008, 02:30 PM
Are you trying to use VMware Fusin 1.13.??? as it may help.

The errors sound interesting although I have never seen them myself.

Chundermuffin
28th June 2008, 02:30 PM
Swap you for a Parallels licence? :p

basseyy
28th June 2008, 02:35 PM
this is mad, I cant add a pic here, no idea how to do this.

forget it. thanks anyways

basseyy
28th June 2008, 02:36 PM

Yes it is version 1.1.3

Nevets_Anderson
28th June 2008, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a windows install issue not a vm one...

rob05
28th June 2008, 02:39 PM
If possible are there any crash logs for fusion appearing. Also like already asked some screen shots of when the errors appear would be helpful as it may make something obvious to what is the cause.

I run windows in vmware fusion for work and have seen some rather interesting windows errors appear at times.

xAquify
28th June 2008, 02:41 PM
Command + Shift + 3, then upload this file to imageshack.us, it will be called "PICTURE1" on the disktop.

Good luck. I know how annoying this can be for you.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 03:04 PM
thanks for your help. VM didnt work for me, and so i wasted about 80 dollars, who cares. Junked now

Jolyon
28th June 2008, 03:29 PM
thanks for your help. VM didnt work for me, and so i wasted about 80 dollars, who cares. Junked now

Considering how little effort you actually put in to asking for help, I don't think you have any right to feel like you "wasted" $80.

rob05
28th June 2008, 03:31 PM
It may also be as simple as a setting needs changing or some issues with the windows installer which can and do cause issues even for PC users.

Huy
28th June 2008, 03:32 PM
Let us know exactly what you did, starting from the beginning.

Or if you've really had enough, sell it on MacTalk and I bet someone will snap it up for $40 or something if it is worthless to you.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 03:40 PM
Considering how little effort you actually put in to asking for help, I don't think you have any right to feel like you "wasted" $80.

well, that might be right, however, I cant find any reason why it should not work straight out of the box, can you?

matrixgeek
28th June 2008, 04:02 PM
It all depends: I have had VM installs go very smoothly, and also very pear-shaped.

A few things: Are you making a new VM, or using your Boot Camp install?
Are you using an original copy of Windows, or a burnt CD? Or an iso?

basseyy
28th June 2008, 04:08 PM
It all depends: I have had VM installs go very smoothly, and also very pear-shaped.

A few things: Are you making a new VM, or using your Boot Camp install?
Are you using an original copy of Windows, or a burnt CD? Or an iso?

I have tried making a new VM install when that didnt work, I deleted it, rebooted, then tried bootcamp, that causes something to load called "caledra dos"- not sure what that is.

Im using a burnt cd for xp sp3, bootable

[MREVO8]
28th June 2008, 04:12 PM
Im using a burnt cd for xp sp3, bootable

Is this a genuine copy of XP?

basseyy
28th June 2008, 04:16 PM
;543138']Is this a genuine copy of XP?

sorry, yes it is a genuine copy of XP 2, slipstreamed to SP3

[MREVO8]
28th June 2008, 04:19 PM
Hmmm... have you tried using the XP SP2 disc instead of the slipstreamed one?

basseyy
28th June 2008, 04:22 PM
;543147']Hmmm... I have you tried using the XP SP2 disc instead of the slipstreamed one?

I think I might try that option, but I still cant be sure that fusion is compatible with 10.5.3..I am even half tempted to do a full leopard install at (10.5.1) and see if it works then....

hmm, i will beat this though, I shall triumph (somehow) :)

wabbit
28th June 2008, 04:23 PM
... VM install ok, but when I try instal Windows xp sp2, these errors appear, something vxm error, and error 10 and 11 (whatever they are)..I ve an iMac (intel 07)

Ah damm, i had a quick search on the VM knowledge Base before for the errors you were having, but now i know your not using a MBA. I cant use that information i saw before.

rob05
28th June 2008, 04:30 PM
vmware fusion 1.1.3 and 2.0b1 are both fully 10.5.3 compatible.

Now for the fun part.

Does fusion startup normally?

I am also thinking the xp you are using with the slipstreamed sp3 is the issue as I have a legit xp pro sp2 which installs without issues.

I do know sp3 does cause some install issues for PC users and this maybe what is the cause.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 04:30 PM
Ah damm, i had a quick search on the VM knowledge Base before for the errors you were having, but now i know your not using a MBA. I cant use that information i saw before.

thanks anyway :)

basseyy
28th June 2008, 04:31 PM
vmware fusion 1.1.3 and 2.0b1 are both fully 10.5.3 compatible.

Now for the fun part.

Does fusion startup normally?

I am also thinking the xp you are using with the slipstreamed sp3 is the issue as I have a legit xp pro sp2 which installs without issues.

I do know sp3 does cause some install issues for PC users and this maybe what is the cause.

Yes, fusion starts up normally, as far as I can tell.

My XP is the home version rather than the professional. Wold that matter?

Wally
28th June 2008, 04:32 PM
Fusion is most definately compatible with 10.5.3 and by far is not crap. I believe its your slipstreamed SP3 causing these issues. However more information is needed to determine your problem please find the questions below and answer EACH ONE OF THEM.

1) More details on the errors, errors in Mac OS X / Windows?
2) Are you 100% certain that the windows you have is genuine?
3) Is the SP3 from Microsoft.com or is it from some other location or third party?
4) What program are you using to make the SP3 build? I know for a fact that nLite supports SP3, I doubt RyanVM does yet.
5) What additional drivers / update / hotfixes are you adding to the SP3 build?

If you havent read the questions, do so now (Im warning you :P, I know what you people are like.)

rob05
28th June 2008, 04:41 PM
I doubt it being the Home version would matter.

I also suggest trying to answer some or all of the above questions.

I am on the strong side the problem is windows or windows installer based and some error messages from windows would help a lot.

matrixgeek
28th June 2008, 04:54 PM
I have XP Home SP2 installed off the disc running fine as my BootCamp VM under 10.5.3 on my MBP, so rule that out.

Hang on, are you trying to make a NEW Virtual Machine with the slipstreamed disc that you used for your Boot Camp install?

purana
28th June 2008, 04:59 PM
Pictures showing the error would be HIGHLY recommended.

Wally
28th June 2008, 05:06 PM
Error 10
ERROR_BAD_ENVIRONMENT
0xA
The environment is incorrect.

Error 11
ERROR_BAD_FORMAT
0xB
An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

If they make any sense..

Also try installing Vmware tools if you haven't attempted that.

Huy
28th June 2008, 05:07 PM
My XP is the home version rather than the professional. Wold that matter?

Fusion supports:

Windows XP Professional SP2 and Home Edition SP2.It also supports 10.5.3.

Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later Source: Fusion System Requirements: Run Windows on Mac and Get Two Operating Systems - VMware (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/system_requirements.html#c25836)

I would recommend that you start with XP SP2 rather than SP3 integrated/slipstreamed.

I have installed XP SP2 (Pro) using Fusion and later upgraded to SP3 without any trouble, Fusion 1.1.3.

purana
28th June 2008, 05:22 PM
I would recommend that you start with XP SP2 rather than SP3 integrated/slipstreamed.

I have installed XP SP2 (Pro) using Fusion and later upgraded to SP3 without any trouble, Fusion 1.1.3.

I've installed from an XP Pro disk with SP3 slip streamed and it worked no problem in VMware Fusion guest.

As to the errors posted by someone, in all my life I have never seen those errors in all the hundreds of times I have installed XP Pro.

rob05
28th June 2008, 05:28 PM
May be the vmware fusion Virtual disk didn't get made correctly or is corrupted and is causing issues.

Currawong
28th June 2008, 05:38 PM
Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit version of XP? Where is the original version from? I'm for trying just the SP2 original disk for the install then installing SP3.

I've renamed this thread, as I'm sure everyone believes finding a solution is the most productive course of action. :)

purana
28th June 2008, 05:40 PM
I am convinced the XP media being used is the issue (or atleast stage I am inclined to think it is more then anything).

meinrosebud
28th June 2008, 06:02 PM

I'm using the VMWare Fusion Beta 2 and it rocks!

According to VMWare Fusion web site: "In some cases, VMware Fusion, after being upgraded to Version 1.1.1, would fail with a Signal 10 error when the user tried to use the keyboard. This problem has been fixed."

Incorrect me thinks?

basseyy
28th June 2008, 06:17 PM
I took the advice from a nice poster(cant remember his name), and tried to install fusion from my genuine XP SP2, and no luck I am afraid. I KNOW it would be helpful to post pics, but I am not sure how to do that. I'm thinking..I might just have to be satisfied with my xp laptop

meinrosebud
28th June 2008, 06:26 PM

I took the advice from a nice poster(cant remember his name), and tried to install fusion from my genuine XP SP2, and no luck I am afraid. I KNOW it would be helpful to post pics, but I am not sure how to do that. I'm thinking..I might just have to be satisfied with my xp laptop

Command-Shift-3 at the same time captures the screen and 'Skitch' can post it onto a server for you, like this:

[http://img.skitch.com/20080628-fux48yb782fa3f7p3982mh9bx4.jpg

Huy
28th June 2008, 06:37 PM
tried to install fusion from my genuine XP SP2, and no luck I am afraid.

Install Fusion from the Fusion disc.

Then install XP SP2, from the XP SP2 disc.

You cannot install Fusion from an XP SP2 disc (unless that was a big typo, in which case I apologise).

basseyy
28th June 2008, 06:51 PM
Install Fusion from the Fusion disc.

Then install XP SP2, from the XP SP2 disc.

You cannot install Fusion from an XP SP2 disc (unless that was a big typo, in which case I apologise).

I wasnt clear. what I meant was I tried installing fusion , then installing XP sp2

THANKS so much guys for your help

Huy
28th June 2008, 06:59 PM
That is a strange thing, if you are unable to use Fusion to install XP SP2.

Are you using the pre-configured settings? That is, performing these steps:

1. Launch Fusion
2. Click 'New...' once the Virtual Machine Library opens.
3. Click 'Continue'
4. Select 'Microsoft Windows' as your operating system to be installed, and 'Windows XP Professional' (or in your case, 'XP Home Edition').
5. Continue.
6. Select where the virtual machine will reside.
7. Set your disk allocation.
8. Select 'Easy Install' and enter your name, password, and Windows Product Key.

I can't remember what happens after this, but it should take care of itself with an Easy Install.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 07:50 PM
Well...MANY thanks to everyone who helped me - but I decided to give parallels a go - got a 15 day trial key, and wouldn't you know it.....IT INSTALLED perfectly - no errors, no hissy fits, NOTHING - it works beautifully - so each to their own, parallels didnt take much to win me over, other than simply work!!!!

thanks guys

Azabu
28th June 2008, 10:11 PM
Go with whatever works I guess. Fusion works flawlessly for me.

basseyy
28th June 2008, 10:35 PM
thankyou ALL for your advice

Wally
29th June 2008, 05:49 AM
I don't think you tried hard enough,

we asked for pics.. and you didn't supply them.. How do we know you weren't lying to us??

Disappointed.

Wally

The Architect.mac
29th June 2008, 07:59 AM
fusion is better...

purana
29th June 2008, 08:31 AM
Disappointed.

Totally agree with that.

Still feels like the poster in question was just baiting us all.

basseyy
29th June 2008, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I was not baiting anyone - I made reference to errors 10 and 11 which are genuine errors, if you check the fusion site -

I dont know HOW to post pics here, I thought it was as simple as cutting and pasting, but its not apparently...

Just because I lack the skills to post pics etc or to adequately explain the problems I had with Fusion, don't assume I was taking you all for a ride, I wasnt

Wally
29th June 2008, 12:26 PM
Photobucket / Imageshack have image hosting facilities, doesn't take much to google these ;)

I can't see your reference to Error 10 / 11 anywhere..

You really should contact Vmware support... I think some of the people here are starting to get irritated.

Comet
29th June 2008, 12:31 PM
basseyy, a lot of us take the joy of being part of this forum by being able to help resolve an issue so don't take any of the comments negatively. However, it's still worth while attempting to explain your issue and trying to resolve your problem to save yourself from shelling out extra money for parallels.

I have to go out, but can someone help him/her post a picture as well as how to take screen captures?

basseyy
29th June 2008, 12:35 PM
I have contacted vm support, and sent them a few error logs, I got an mail back form them saying they will help me within 48 hours

Wally
29th June 2008, 12:43 PM
so you give Vmware support the error logs but not us! :O

rob05
29th June 2008, 12:52 PM
basseyy when you setup Vmware fusion what size did you allocate for the windows virtual drive this if to small can cause issues.

It maybe that windows doesn't have enough required space in the virtual hd from fusion to install correctly and causing corruption and the error messages.

Try dumping the folder from Home/Documents/Virtual Machines and make a new one a fresh and allocate around 20+ gig for the windows Virtual HD and it should install without issues.

basseyy
29th June 2008, 01:55 PM
basseyy when you setup Vmware fusion what size did you allocate for the windows virtual drive this if to small can cause issues.

It maybe that windows doesn't have enough required space in the virtual hd from fusion to install correctly and causing corruption and the error messages.

Try dumping the folder from Home/Documents/Virtual Machines and make a new one a fresh and allocate around 20+ gig for the windows Virtual HD and it should install without issues.

I allocated 100 gig to the virtual drive

basseyy
29th June 2008, 01:57 PM
so you give Vmware support the error logs but not us! :O

I have the error log file, if you would like to see it, its about 1.2 meg though, so rather large....i will try and upload it to my iinet webpage and give you the link shortly

rob05
29th June 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks that will hopefully pin point the cause of what is happening.

I am still thinking something with the windows installer is the cause.

If fusion was having issues it would have either froze or crashed when trying to use it.

basseyy
29th June 2008, 02:49 PM
OK, I have uploaded the vm fusion error log files.

Index of /~rellis1 (http://members.iinet.net.au/~rellis1/)

its the vm-06-28-08 file

any help would be really appreciated

Wally
29th June 2008, 02:51 PM
you see the point now basseyy.

We at MacTalk don't want you struggling with VMware Fusion, Vmware Fusion is excellent when its working unfortunately you haven't been able to experience that yet.

It will be really awesome for you when its working and you wont have any regrets for the trouble.

Wally

basseyy
29th June 2008, 02:57 PM
you see the point now basseyy.

We at MacTalk don't want you struggling with VMware Fusion, Vmware Fusion is excellent when its working unfortunately you haven't been able to experience that yet.

It will be really awesome for you when its working and you wont have any regrets for the trouble.

Wally

i can see that now. I just hope someone can work this out with me, seeing as I paid for fusion to begin with...by the way, i have a 15 day parallels trial and its running XP sp1 perfectly, I wasn't game to try SP 2 because its a burnt copy, the SP1 is the one I got from Microsoft all those many years ago

rob05
29th June 2008, 03:32 PM
I am taking a look now to see what I can figure out fr you.

Hmm it looks like something within the install of VMware Fusion is either corrupt, missing or not completely installed correctly.

At the start there are things that seem to be missing and causing the app to fail certain parts.

One thing do you use time machine?

It may pay to uninstall vmware fusion. And clean install it.

I can post hpw to manaully which will remove what the unistaller tends to leave behind if you need.

basseyy
29th June 2008, 03:47 PM

Hmm it looks like something within the install of VMware Fusion is either corrupt, missing or not completely installed correctly.

At the start there are things that seem to be missing and causing the app to fail certain parts.

One thing do you use time machine?

It may pay to uninstall vmware fusion. And clean install it.

I can post hpw to manaully which will remove what the unistaller tends to leave behind if you need.

I dont use time machine - and I have un installed fusion about 5 times, and every time I get the same errors when i re install it - weird!! thats why I turned to parallels in frustration

Huy
29th June 2008, 04:14 PM
Since nobody has helped in regards to uploading screenshots, here is a quick and dirty summary for you basseyy:

1. Hit command + shift + 3, to take screenshots. The file will be called Picture 1 on your desktop.
2. Go to ImageShack® - Image Hosting (http://www.imageshack.us)
3. Upload your file from the main page using the "Browse" button and then clicking on "Host it!".
4. Once this is complete, it will give you a range of options.

Simply click on the second field that they give you, called "Thumbnail for forums (1)" and then copy/paste that into here.

Easy? :)

matrixgeek
29th June 2008, 05:00 PM
Basseyy - did you keep installing the same package (IE download) of Fusion? You may possibly have a corrupted package. Try deleting it and re-downloading it.

purana
29th June 2008, 05:13 PM
Since nobody has helped in regards to uploading screenshots, here is a quick and dirty summary for you basseyy:

Someone actually did back on page 2 I believe. It was stated sometime ago..

Wally
29th June 2008, 06:41 PM
Basseyy - did you keep installing the same package (IE download) of Fusion? You may possibly have a corrupted package. Try deleting it and re-downloading it.

Get the 2.00 Beta while you are at it, it might solve the majority of your problems and it looks much nicer.

matrixgeek
29th June 2008, 06:46 PM
Yep, wally, I agree there, 2.0 is very nice </Borat>

meinrosebud
29th June 2008, 06:56 PM
I don't think you tried hard enough,

we asked for pics.. and you didn't supply them.. How do we know you weren't lying to us??

Disappointed.

Wally

Break out the torches and persecute the heretic. :D

basseyy
29th June 2008, 09:24 PM
Get the 2.00 Beta while you are at it, it might solve the majority of your problems and it looks much nicer.

that sounds like a good idea, I will try beta 2 this week then

Huy
29th June 2008, 10:47 PM
Someone actually did back on page 2 I believe. It was stated sometime ago..
True that. :)

Just not in simple/step-by-step terms (i.e. foolproof).

So, basseyy... screenshots next time something bad happens! :thumbup:

basseyy
29th June 2008, 10:56 PM

When i purchased Fusion, I got download codes links, it seemed to download perfectly very fast. If the file was corrupted, it wouldn't have installed at all, right?

basseyy
29th June 2008, 10:58 PM

I would really appreciate that if you could. thanks

leon
4th July 2008, 04:57 PM
Received my box copy of Fusion from Apple today so I could run eTax2008.

Installed from CD - went fine.
Asked me to upgrade to 1.1.3 - went fine
Installed Windows Professional SP2 - went fine
Ran Windows Update to get SP3 - went fine

I'm a fusion novice and can only say that the process was very smooth indeed. Must be something wrong with your copy of fusion.