PDA

View Full Version : Sound on the PowerBook

glenmorrow
10th April 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi all,
I use an Ediroll input/output device, but I only really want iTunes, and Traktor DJ Studio to use it (thought Traktor has it's own sound options), and not other applications like Entourage / other apps that use sound.

I have gone into Sys Preferences - Sound, and set sound effects to go to built in, and set the main sound device to be the Ediroll, but is there a way to make an application use a particular sound device?

Hopefully this makes sense...

BiRDBRAiN
12th April 2005, 11:07 AM
Unless the programs have their own configuration settings, you are probably doomed to have to share them.

I think something like Logic does (don't quote me on that).

p53
12th April 2005, 11:21 AM
Try Audio HiJacker. It may do what you want.

p53.

icant
12th April 2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by glenmorrow@Apr 10 2005, 12:49 PM

I have gone into Sys Preferences - Sound, and set sound effects to go to built in, and set the main sound device to be the Ediroll, but is there a way to make an application use a particular sound device?

If you try this program, do let us know if it works.

Detour (http://rogueamoeba.com/detour/) by Rogue Amoeba.

Flinders1231
8th May 2005, 08:54 PM
I have had Detour http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/ on my iMac for 48 hours & is proving to be excellent. It is of course is a more sophisticated version of freeware SoundSource. SoundSource, has been reported on, as at times, not working when you want to change audio source or output on the fly. So far, Detour has been faultless on this score. This might be because its only dealing with specific applications, ... so the OS might find it easier to switch a singles app's (like iTunes) output mode on the run, rather than the generic changes SoundSource attemps to make.

The major benefits ... of using Detour seem to be;

If you use your Mac in an environment were others may be present, ... you can in a second switch from external sound to headphones if the need arises for privacy or to avoid annoyance.

You can make sure unwanted/unexpected sounds (say system beeps & burps) do not interfere with your music streams or say skype conversations.

With suitable hardware (eg imic) there is less need to plug & unplug various audio hardware.

Heavy Skype users (or other VoIP) utilising Detour can happily use external speakers in general use... but on an inward call immediatley re-configure their sound so they can separate input & output to avoid feedback echo lowering the quality of their conversation.