PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Boot camp problem

iapplepie
27th June 2008, 04:21 PM
hi all,

Ive just tried to start to install windows on my macbook (10.5.2), and i opened the boot camp assistant and tried to create a partition 31 gb big. I clicked make partition or whatever the button is, and it said the partition was being created.

Eventually, after about 5-10 mins a semi see through black box appeared in various languages saying i had to restart my computer and hold down power button. So i did, and it restarted as normal, upon restarting, a window opened saying that boot camp assistant quit unexpectedly...

Now, ive got my normal Mac OSX hd, still named the same way, but saying it has its normal capacity, but with 31 less than normal gbs free... i try to open boot camp assistant once again, and it just prompts me to repartition. I have restarted my computer a few times and no change has occured..

Should i be worried?:( What can i do?:confused:

Cheers

Huy
27th June 2008, 04:24 PM
You experienced a kernel panic.

Delete/merge the Boot Camp partition and start again.

tintinaujapon
27th June 2008, 04:25 PM
Sounds like the machine crashed during setup of Bootcamp.

I'd erase the partition and start from the beginning.

EDIT: Damn you and your flying fingers Huy.

iapplepie
27th June 2008, 04:27 PM
hi, thanks for prompt reply,

sorry but im quite new to OSX
but how might i delete/merge this partition?
i dont think the supposed windows partition shows up in disk utility..

thanks

Huy
27th June 2008, 04:28 PM
You run the Boot Camp assistant again. It should allow you to delete the existing partition.

Open Boot Camp Assistant Beta (in Applications/Utilities).
Click "Restore the startup disk to a single volume" and click Continue.
Click Restore.
Type in your password and click OK.
Boot Camp Assistant Beta will remove your Windows partition. When finished, click Restart.Taken from:
Boot Camp Beta: Removing a Windows partition after Boot Camp Beta has expired in Mac OS X 10.4 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1309)

iapplepie
27th June 2008, 04:30 PM
uhh,
i try running boot camp assistant, and it has no new prompt to delete this partition
i cannot find any trace of the partition, except for the 31 gb missing from hd.

EDIT:
should i be attempting to make another partition or resetting my hd?

iapplepie
27th June 2008, 05:09 PM
ok,
well tomorrow im going away for a week without my macbook,
im presuming it doesnt matter if i leave it till then.
if worst comes to worst could i wipe the HD and then reinstall? would this give me my 31 gigs back?

Huy
27th June 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes you can wipe the HDD and reinstall everything.

It will give you a clean slate and your space back.

Sorry I have not used Boot Camp since the 1.x days (2006) and so I have no suggestions if you can't recover your space without wiping the system clean.

iapplepie
27th June 2008, 05:17 PM
Ok thanks huy,

ill probably end up doing that when i get home..
any other help if anyone knows what to do would still be great

cheers

Exocet
15th July 2008, 11:32 AM
In a similar vein, how long does the restore process take? I had a 5GB partition which I'm trying to restore back to total-Mac OS X. Its been restoring for about half an hour now and showing no signs of finishing up soon.

Its not frozen, but its not doing much either :D

recd
15th July 2008, 02:19 PM
In a similar vein, how long does the restore process take? I had a 5GB partition which I'm trying to restore back to total-Mac OS X. Its been restoring for about half an hour now and showing no signs of finishing up soon.

Its not frozen, but its not doing much either :D

when I restored to 1 partition it took boot camp only a few minutes. :confused:

Exocet
15th July 2008, 02:38 PM
I gave up and quit the boot camp utility, retried and it was over in a matter of seconds. Solved!