PDA

View Full Version : Internet sharing problems.. help?

Rayd
10th April 2005, 10:52 AM
i have my quicksilver sharing internet from ethernet to ethernet and airport at once, i do this via internet sharing. but the problem is... when i put my computer to sleep... then wake it up again, it turns the sharing off. now the weird thing is, if i restart my computer it doesn't turn it off.... any help?

zac
10th April 2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah happens to me too. Your not alone.

neilrobinson
10th April 2005, 11:08 AM
i believe it is a known problem - if i remember right it was something to do with the firewall being reloaded on wake. there was a thread on the apple site a while ago.

neil

avolve
19th January 2006, 03:29 PM
i had a similar problem this morning - sharing wireless interent from my iBook to my mac mini via ethernet

was all working fine yesterday (that's when i set it up - staying at a friends for a couple weeks), when i got back with my iBook today and connected ethernet (i had to start internet sharing again) and no luck.

on my mac mini it say all is good (built in ethernet active, IP address, you are connected to the net, etc), yet i cant check mail, browse the web, etc.

I have restarted a couple times, disconnected, etc, all to no avail - not sure what to do...

any advice, or expriences with what may be going on here?

is a pain!

Mac Aid
27th January 2006, 11:27 PM
May I respectfully suggest that you cough for a cheap wireless router.

This will improve your reliability, not rely on the one machine being awake, and also not pose a security risk and breach your ISP's rules (like running a local subnet on their network does)

MacDave
28th January 2006, 03:38 AM
There's internet sharing & sharing the internet properly...

It's far better to have a wireless router or router + wireless access point and not use OS X's internet sharing feature at all.

Ideally, on a LAN, no one computer should be dependent on another to connect to the internet.

soulman
28th January 2006, 12:50 PM
I have to try to solve this kind of problem for some colleagues and I know virtually nothing about it. Can someone point me to a (hopefully) Mac specific primer on the topic?