PDA

View Full Version : 10 questions for 12" Rev-D/1.5 PB owners

vargz
10th April 2005, 10:00 AM
I'm about 90% sure I want the 12 over the 15. If you own the latest rev 12 (or have experience using one) I hope you can answer the following qs:

1. Does it run hot? (I've heard you can cook eggs on the wrist-rests, whilst warming your lap on a cold winter morning, though this may apply to a previous revision)

2. Does it have a fan and are the vents located on the side/back or the base?

3. How many hours do you get out of the battery?

4. How does the screen compare with those on the 15 and 17? (I've heard the 12 PBs use iBook screens, which not only minimise costs but the clarity/quality compared to the bigger PBs)

6. Do you find the 12 gives you sore/square eyes, headaches/migraines, sore neck or any other physical discomfort/ailments as a result of its small size and/or extensive use?

7. Will the 12 be able to output video to a large (19/21 inch) LCD monitor?

8. What (if any) accessories do you use to protect the screen (from the apparent finger print transfer from the keys) and wrists-rests (from getting filthy)?

9. Which sleeve do you use/recommend (STM glove, Booq Vyper or other)?

10. Finally, do you think you'll consider a 15 or 17 PB next time, or will you definately stick with a 12?

That's all. Thanks for you input :)

iluvmymactoo
10th April 2005, 10:23 AM
1. Does it run hot? (I've heard you can cook eggs on the wrist-rests, whilst warming your lap on a cold winter morning, though this may apply to a previous revision)

Compared to my previous Rev C, my Rev D is significantly cooler. Perhaps though that is due to the Seagate HDD which has "STIR" technology which keeps it cooler.

2. Does it have a fan and are the vents located on the side/back or the base?

Of course it has a fan. There is a vent on the left side for the HDD and one long one at back for the CPU.

3. How many hours do you get out of the battery?

When I use battery power I set the brightness down to the lowest that is comfortable (about 3 notches because I have also calibrated the monitor to suit this setting), turn off BT, turn off the sound card (mute) and I get about 4.5 hours.

4. How does the screen compare with those on the 15 and 17? (I've heard the 12 PBs use iBook screens, which not only minimise costs but the clarity/quality compared to the bigger PBs)

We also have the G4 1.2Ghz iBook and my PowerBook screen is notably sharper. Anyone who says it isn't doesn't have their's calibrated correctly.

6. Do you find the 12 gives you sore/square eyes, headaches/migraines, sore neck or any other physical discomfort/ailments as a result of its small size and/or extensive use?

No. Sit properly.

7. Will the 12 be able to output video to a large (19/21 inch) LCD monitor?

I don't have an external display, but I'm sure I've seen them plugged into the 20" Cinemas at AppleCentres.

. What (if any) accessories do you use to protect the screen (from the apparent finger print transfer from the keys) and wrists-rests (from getting filthy)?

I use the STM Keyboard Cover (http://www.laptopbags.com.au/product.php?id=DP-NPKEYBCOV&category=LAPTOPBAGS&subcategory=LT_ACCESSORIES)

9. Which sleeve do you use/recommend (STM glove, Booq Vyper or other)?

I have an STM Glove and the STM Drift Small (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=5645) laptop bag

10. Finally, do you think you'll consider a 15 or 17 PB next time, or will you definately stick with a 12?

I travel a lot so would not consider hefting a large laptop with me everywhere I go. I'll stick with the 12"

vargz
10th April 2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks man, very comprehensive and forthright! I guessed it would have a fan but asked in case cos I recall reading one of the previous models didn't have a fan (probably as far bac as Rev-A!)

Anyway, cheers for that, I think you've put my decision in concrete now :)