PDA

View Full Version : AppleTalk Musicians

noisypoppy
10th April 2005, 04:01 AM
I see a lot of posts from musicians on appletalk asking about recording gear/software for their macs, I'm curious as to what some of the appletalk musicians sound like.
I think it'd be cool if some people post their bands websites in this thread, so we can all checkout their music...atleast I'm interested anyway.

to start off with, my project is named Power Modell and the website is
http://www.powermodell.com there are a few of my tracks up there and also a couple from my last project.

Looking for remixers too if anyone is interested in mixing some of it.

Looking forward to your hearing your musics!

marc
11th April 2005, 10:42 AM
Hi.

I love the design of your site! Listening now... interesting & cool!

Here's some of mine: www.obliquemusic.co.uk (http://www.obliquemusic.co.uk/)
(UK url, but I live in Melbourne)

Disko
11th April 2005, 10:44 AM
the_argon has a cool rock band in Adelaide. http://www.sweepermusic.com Check them out, they rock. :D

marc
11th April 2005, 10:49 AM
They do rock :)

noisypoppy
11th April 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by marc@Apr 11 2005, 10:42 AM
Hi.

I love the design of your site! Listening now... interesting & cool!

Here's some of mine: www.obliquemusic.co.uk (http://www.obliquemusic.co.uk/)
(UK url, but I live in Melbourne)
thanks! just checking out some of yours now

Disko
14th April 2005, 10:33 AM
Come on people. Surely there are other members here in bands. :)

BiRDBRAiN
14th April 2005, 10:37 AM
Used to play in a funk band, but we broke up years ago lol.

noisypoppy
14th April 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Apr 14 2005, 10:33 AM
I'm as surprised as you are about this thread dying in the ass. With the amount of people asking audio questions...you'd think more people would want to post their demos for a bit of promo...I'm keen to listen!

Would be cool if people could post what equipment they used to make their demos software/hardware/outboard gear/mics/instruments etc

tempestas
14th April 2005, 10:42 AM
Disko I own a bass, that one day I am going to learn to play.... B)

My Bro, whose Dual G5 should be arriving this week, is a guitarist and is planning to join the Mac world so he can record more of his own and other peoples stuff.

I'll be pushing him in this direction, and I'll get him to post some of his stuff, from his now defunct band Catweasel once he has the new workhorse and a broadband connection (hopefully they can do that in country NSW)

I suspect that there a few hidden lights out there (Geoff B if you are scrolling put your stuff up here)

AusMac
14th April 2005, 10:49 AM
OK I play guitar(a lot of slide guitar) harmonica's, of all types keyboards and occasional flute. Love singing(what Irish descendant doesn't?). Was involved in the production of this (http://members.iinet.net.au/~mcnative/4%20am%20wash.mp3).

noisypoppy
14th April 2005, 10:55 AM
oh btw aside from my Power Modell stuff (powermodell.com) I also (used to) sing in a drunken punk band called YDABS (www.mp3.com.au/YDABS) there are two albums up there, we also have a VCD (soon to be DVD) and a live CD from a show we did in 02. New album will be up in a few months (the band is now abolished but we just need to put some vocals on the new album), it's so amusing how big YDABS got up in the north qld area around uni students, people just show their friends, and burn the cds, and show their friends. It's just stupid drunk crap that we recorded in one take, don't listen unless you have a dirty sense of humour (which explains why it got so popular among uni students).

anyway, the band has now disbanded and a more intelligent humour has taken its place "S-Mart BOOMSTICK"...will be out later in the year.

(sorry for being such a promo whore)

Edge
14th April 2005, 04:35 PM
I'm sure there are quite a few GarageBand users like me, who don't have a means or desire to place their 'music' on show. I wouldn't want to post my results so far (even though I have a music degree.)

hawker
14th April 2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Apr 14 2005, 10:33 AM
Where's Pipsqueek?

gizo
20th April 2005, 01:22 PM
i am in a band (http://www.microindie.com/steinbecks).

and for people who want more reason or inspiration to make music, you really should check out SONGFIGHT! (http://www.songfight.org)

Squozen
20th April 2005, 01:27 PM
I do music, but can't be arsed uploading it.

gizo
20th April 2005, 01:34 PM
can't even be arsed finishing what you start either.

Squozen
20th April 2005, 01:51 PM
I didn't know you were on these boards, Gizo-san.. :P

gizo
20th April 2005, 01:56 PM
yeah, i ferget that i am a gringo as well.
i ferrett around here cos it's fun, and i oneday hope to join you all in macdom

Jimbo
20th April 2005, 02:10 PM
i've been playing guitar for 10 years, and i know my modes from my soudboards, i'd LOVE, i repeat LOVE to be in a band, i believe its my calling, but, alas i never found anyone who is good enough, or wants to be commited enough to a band. I'd consider going solo, but i can't write lyrics for shit, like really i can't write never have, probably never will. I'm my own biggest critic, and i'm way to harsh. But anyone in canberra into John Mayer, john butler, and betweens lets hookup and bust a song.

napes
25th July 2005, 09:56 PM
[ www.vinylminds.com (http://www.vinylminds.com) ]

I guess you'd call it chill-out/lounge'ish.
The player in the top right corner plays at 64kbps, while 128kbps downloads are on the audio page (click the speaker!)
Newest track - 'BusterTheCat' :)
Kit : DualG4, cubaseSX, TechnicsP30, AlesisM1, Audiophile2496, Sennheiser590s

On a side-note - I like your stuff noisypoppy - how did you find edensound for mastering???

marc
25th July 2005, 11:04 PM
napes :: I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I find Tony Mantz at Sing Sing to be the best mastering engineer in Melb. I don't think Eden or Crystal are anywhere near as good.

neilrobinson
25th July 2005, 11:11 PM
i use to master stuff a while ago. did stuff for some WA bands etc i would love to get back into it and also learn acoustic guitar. ;) oneday someday.

on a side note if anyone wants their songs hosted.. drop me a line and i can organise something for you. :)

neil

spilla
25th July 2005, 11:24 PM
i 'attempted' to make music with garageband....but it was just a whole heap of random notes that didn't fit together......but then i gave up after 5 mins and i have never touched garageband since.... :)

napes
26th July 2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by marc@Jul 25 2005, 11:04 PM
napes :: I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I find Tony Mantz at Sing Sing to be the best mastering engineer in Melb. I don't think Eden or Crystal are anywhere near as good.
Thanks for that info marc. :)
I'll keep Tony in mind when I get to that stage.

amni
26th July 2005, 10:37 AM
I have been releasing records for over 10 years in UK, Germany, France and Australia,,,and most of it was not done on a Mac, it was Atari 1040ste or Dell laptop..

No web pages I can think of but recorded many styles of electronic music under names:

THIS DIGITAL OCEAN - INDUSTRIAL (MACHINERY GERMANY / USA)
AMNESIA - DRUM N BASS (SOUR UK)
CRAY - EXPERIMENTAL ELECTRONICS (BIP HOP FRANCE)
56K - DRUM N BASS (CREATIVE AUSTRALIA)
EDEN - PLAYED BASS ONLY THIRD MIND UK)
SIKO SPUNJI - EXP IDM

and a few others that i cant remember off the top of my head.

marc
26th July 2005, 10:39 AM
That's a pretty impressive list!
Even better when you consider it's incomplete

noisypoppy
26th July 2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by napes@Jul 25 2005, 09:56 PM
On a side-note - I like your stuff noisypoppy - how did you find edensound for mastering???
edensound were great. Marty is a great guy, friendly and supportive. Expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for, he's one of our best masters in this country.

if you want a free copy of my cd napes, email me your address power@powermodell.com
and I'll get it out the following day.
;)

napes
26th July 2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for that info re: edensound noisypoppy.
Re: CD - Cool :) Email wingin' it's way to you...

-neon-
26th July 2005, 11:16 AM
Ok, I've got 3 dancish / electronica tracks that are on macjams... Not a band so much, as just me on various computers ;) All under the name of -neon-

The tracks are a little weird, and most will find them a bit boring, but hey, I like em :)

Been into it as a bit of a hobby for years now but never really taken it further than that.
Always keen to work with folks but :D

konni
26th July 2005, 11:31 AM
I did some bass and vocals on the Billy - Happenstance album and a little bit on one of the Brutus albums. See Ozshop.net (http://www.ozshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31). I play with these guys on regular basis - but we almost never gig. There is a new album to go online and I have yet to put some samples and some full mp3 tracks for download.

mac_man_luke
26th July 2005, 12:41 PM
I do quite a bit of mixing etc at school and pa stuff but never done anything decent for a real band

I would love to mix/run a pa for a real band one day but ah well

woodywoodhouse
26th July 2005, 01:00 PM
jazz, swing and funk for me...the bigger the band the better.
http://woodyandthesenator.com/ for the swing thing
and
http://www.hilife.com.au/ for my corporate stuff (street music, stilt walking etc)....no sound files on this one at the moment but the site is due for a major update in the next few months. If there is anyone who wants to do it for me pitch me your idea and we can talk. I would like an interface change and to get away from the frames and into CSS. Most of the content will stay the same with a view to adding to it over the next few months......sorry I'm getting off topic.
Logic pro is an awesome application and I enjoy making garage band songs with my kids-I just wish I had 48 hours in the day.

raj
26th July 2005, 01:10 PM
As a side note I'm now featuring a Mac made track in my podcast each week so if you're in a band or create your music on a Mac then by all means drop me a line at: themacusershow@gmail.com

If you want to have a look at the podcast its:
http://macuser.thepodcastnetwork.com

applenewbie
26th July 2005, 02:05 PM
I sing in the shower......badly :)
Anyone want me to record it? ;)
Huh? No? :huh:
Awww c'mon I do a awesome rendition of "I did it my way" by Frank. :(
Boo hoo Nobody loves me.

Actually I've had some fun messing around with Garageband but no way would I let anyone hear the rubbish I've made. Heaps of fun but.

pipsqeek
27th July 2005, 08:55 AM
Here I am.

Somehow I missed this thread.

I'm in a band. And jam with one other muso who's really good, plays in Sydney every week.

I play Bass. I've been playing guitar for 12 years.

I played sax for a few.

I started off on Piano when I was young.

My current band works on the odd occasion. But we have a regular gig we don't get paid for, but we like it as we use it as a practice jam infront of a live audience. Come down to the Janalli Inn one (the last) Wednesday of the month - 8:30pm till whenever.

We haven't recorded yet, but will be doing so shortly with about 8-10 original songs.

pipsqeek

mechcon
21st May 2007, 11:44 AM
So I thought it'd be good to have a section of chatting about audio production and what not, chatting about what we do, how we do, and simply networking :)

So what do I do? I write alternative/electronic/experimental music, my home page is in the signature. My hardware/software list as follows;

Hardware;
24" iMac 2.16GHz w/ a 24" Dell widescreen monitor (for the studio)
15" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Core2Duo (for the studio, as well as gigs)
Evolution MK249c (49 key usb keyboard)
Behringer UMX25 (25 key usb keyboard)
Novation Remote Zero SL (usb interface for controlling the DAW as well as VST settings)

Software;
Ableton Live 6.0.7
Reason 3.0.5
Absynth 4
Massive 1
FM8 (trial)
Peak Pro
Audacity.

Yeah mainly using Live 6 as the primary DAW and routing Reason 3 into it w/ Rewire.

So tell us about your rigs and music folks.

iThinkMac
21st May 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro, (previously a 12" PowerBook) with ProTools (look, I'm not dogheaded about it vs. Apple's Logic). Also have a Rode mic: NT-1A. I am a classical guitarist, play the cornet for town events (such as Anzac Day), and also sing. I love four-part harmony and record a lot of it. Currently I've only produced one album - one that's soothing sacred instrumental music.

So, yea, I've by no means an expert, but love to talk about it!!!!

mechcon
21st May 2007, 01:09 PM
Cool, I'm about to release my debut album (have released a CD-R EP and a net-release). I've never tried Logic to be honest, I kind of went from Fruity Loops, then to Reason 2.5 (before using macs) then jumped to Reason 3, and now using that and Live 6. I've always wanted to try Logic, as well as Pro tools.

bassmanbliss
21st May 2007, 01:48 PM
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro with a Digi002 rack at home so obviously I am a Pro Tools guy. My mate and I have a bunch of studio gear that we are using to record an album on this year. It includes a Focusrite Red7, Focusrite ISA428, our Avalon 737SP arrived this morning complete with Babyface mod. We have the standard mics, sm57, a Neumann U87, Pair of AKG C414's, couple of Rode K2's and my mate has just ordered an AKG C12 which will be fun.

I play double bass in a corporate jazz group for a living and also work as a sound guy at a school in Brisbane.

I try not to get into the whole Logic vs 'Tools debate, they both have their good points and bad points I just prefer Pro Tools.

So lets see all the musos and engineers round here emerge from their airconditioned windowless caves!!

noisypoppy
21st May 2007, 02:06 PM
woop!
searching is easy:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=5339

Disko
21st May 2007, 02:07 PM
Just merged this up :)

noisypoppy
21st May 2007, 02:08 PM
Just merged this up :)

*swoon*

timryan
21st May 2007, 02:50 PM
We are fairly seriously into audio recording/production. Always have been Mac based.
I am a lapsed violinist/bass player/guitarist now with 2 daughters under 2! Doesn't leave much audio playtime.
www.trackdown.com.au

vietnow
22nd May 2007, 09:58 AM
i've been playing with ableton since 5.01, i used to have it running on my G3 ibook (painful) but i found a 12" powerbook and it works flawelessly on it -- i would up some tracks but due to a hdd crash a few months back i've lost them all (can't be bothered smashing thru the hundreds of CD-Rs i've got). primarily i'm a DJ and use ableton to loop/sample and play originals off, not really earning much from it at the moment due to uni but i will later in the year.

if theres some interest i'll link up some mixes once i get the site organised but its a long process.

timdotexe
29th May 2007, 02:44 PM
*cough* MacTalk users compilation *cough* :thumbup:

andy
29th May 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm a classical pianist in my spare time, have produced a few CDs, a filmscore, and written some radio commercials, all on my Mac. I used to run Cubase, but switched over to Logic,
when I went to OS X which is good, but I do have some issues with Logic at times... It's a love-hate relationship.

As far as equipment goes, it's in my signature - My pride and joy though is my 7 Foot Yamaha Mark IV Disklavier Grand Piano, that is easily controlled through my Mac. It's the most amazing piano, and to this day I can't believe I have 300 kilos of it sitting in my dining room! hahaha. It's my dream come true.

If anyone's in Brisbane and is a singer, I'm working on a piece at the moment that requires a nice warm voice for a local charity... email me at zzawells@hotmail.com if you're interested.

marc
29th May 2007, 05:02 PM
I do have some issues with Logic at times... It's a love-hate relationship.
Feel free to post questions here... I'm sure most of them can be answered (unless you ask question about the score sections!).

andy
29th May 2007, 05:23 PM
Logic has been a great tool for me, however, I've had 2 ongoing issues that crop up every now and then that drive me nuts:

1. Exporting standard midi files - I never seem to be able to get all the information in the exported file, losing data that should be there. I very rarely export to .mid, so it's probably a user issue...

2. I have a JV-1080, that has more than the standard GM sound set - it has an orchestral expansion board, as well as a number of other sound sets, and do you think I can get Logic to send the appropriate Bank Select Numbers? hahaha probably yet another user issue. I've tried following the instruction manual, and online help websites, but I get lost in the environment. :-)

Botox
29th May 2007, 05:46 PM
I use Logic and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

Here is a link to my jjj unearthed page for those interested.

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists/View.aspx?artistid=10007

Cheers!

Brewster
29th May 2007, 08:48 PM
We have just moved up to Logic Express from Garageband and hedged my bets by getting an MBox 2 incase learning logic defeats me (protools looks easier).

Our hardware is Behringer B2 mic through the Mbox into the iMac and out through some KRK Rokit 5 speakers.

Andy, I just emailed you about the singer you're after.