PDA

View Full Version : Domain registration confusion

Phase
25th June 2008, 12:10 PM
Mactalkers, I'm a tad confuzzled;

I'm waiting for a particular domain to become available, and is set to do so in the next 4 hours.

A couple of questions of interest.

From Godaddy.com
what the heck does this following paragraph mean:

"NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration."

-BUH?

Also, is there a grace period of some sort?
I'm Hoping I can nab it, as it's never had a website on it, just sat there, and hasn't been updated/renewed since October of last year, if the WhoIs is anything to go by.

Any advice from others who've been in a similar situation?

jamesatfish
25th June 2008, 12:22 PM
Essentially I think that blurb means that the domain is 'deregistered' (ie no longer becomes available on the internet) before it is released from the domain registrar to be sold to another party.

Earlier this year I had a .com domain registered with Melbourne IT that was due to expire. It wasn't a mission critical domain but I wanted to keep it registered, so I decided to switch it to GoDaddy.com. I put a back-order on the domain at GoDaddy and then let it expire from Melbourne IT.

Although GoDaddy recognised and notified me that the domain registration had expired, they could not take a hold of the domain in order for me to re-register it with them. After waiting about 2 weeks I ended up having to get Melbourne IT to transfer the expired domain over to GoDaddy where I renewed it (at about 1/20th the cost).

Based upon that experience I'd say that the registrar that currently holds the domain probably won't release it 'instantly' upon expiry; rather they will keep it locked up to give the domain owner a chance to pay the renewal and keep it with that registrar (and thus maintain their revenue stream).

There's probably more chance of you getting your hands on the domain upon it's nominal expiry if GoDaddy is also the current registrar than if it is currently registered elsewhere.

thorevenge
25th June 2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, there is a 14 day 'blanket' period before the domain truly and totally expires. At this time the domain will shows EXPIRED in whois records but it can still be renewed up until EXPIRED disappears.

Then if someone has squatted your domain good luck :D