PDA

View Full Version : PC Help please (USB thingy)

She
9th April 2005, 06:24 PM
Hi! sorry to ask but I need a little bit of PC help

I turned my dinosaur of a PC on for the first time in 3 months this afternoon, I decided it's finally time for me to transfer the rest of my old files over to my Mac.

I thought I'd just load up everything onto my Shuffle and do it that way (there isnt really any other way.. my PC doesnt have a burner, I can't stick floppy discs into my PB.. and this PC is too darn slow for me to upload everything onto tat .mac thingy)

So I stuck my Shuffle into the USB slot.. but the computer doesnt recognise it.. it doesnt pop up under the Devices with Removable Storage section of My Computer. I tried installing it with the cd that came in the box.. the software installed easily but the Shuffle still isnt recognised.

What do I do?

BiRDBRAiN
9th April 2005, 06:31 PM
What kind of PC is it?

What operating system are you running?

If Windows XP do you have at least Service Pack 1 installed?

She
9th April 2005, 06:33 PM
yes it's on XP

I don't know what a service pack is =/

edit- I looked in Control Panel -> System, it says-
Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

darknight84
9th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Did you install the drivers that came with the shuffle?

darknight84
9th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Oh ok...so you tried that installation, perhaps an update and restart should fix it, i had a similar problem but with my ibook and PC. It fixed everything up..

She
9th April 2005, 06:53 PM
Yes I did.. but I think I know why it didnt work.. poor design, there is a screw thing that is sticking out right under the USB.. and I can only insert it half way

stupid Dell

She
9th April 2005, 06:55 PM
thanks for your help anyway!

I'm going to see if I can copy the stuff over to my memory card (in my camera).. and then I should be able to upload them onto my PB

fingers crossed

BiRDBRAiN
9th April 2005, 07:31 PM
Right-click 'My Computer'

then left-click 'Properties'

then click 'Device Manager'

and then check to see if there are any devices with an exclaimation mark (!) next to them.

If there any there, uninstall them from there and then click on the button to scan to changes.

See if that helps.

Exocet
9th April 2005, 07:32 PM
do you have any networking knowledge? Most Dells come with a network port, and I know all powerbooks do. If you can set up a basic link, just grab any network cable, and then transfer your files across that way.

sikosis
9th April 2005, 09:26 PM
The most important thing to learn about USB and a PC ... Never plug in a device unless you have installed the software first.